Windows 10: Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive

Discus and support Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I run win10 with 16GB RAM (thinking of getting 32GB soon). My operating system is on a 512GB SSD. I read that I may benefit by moving the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dan_127, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Dan_127 Win User

Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive

Hi,

I run win10 with 16GB RAM (thinking of getting 32GB soon).

My operating system is on a 512GB SSD.

I read that I may benefit by moving the pagefile to a non system drive and since I have 2 more SSDs I want to know if it is advisable to move the page file to a non system (SSD) drive?

I know how to do that, however, I also read that even if you move the pagefile to a non system drive it is still advisable to keep "some" on the system drive.

Is this true? If moving the page file to another SSD advisable, do I need to still keep "some" on the primary drive and if yes how much and how do I that?

Thanks,

:)

Dan_127, Dec 18, 2019

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Dec 18, 2019
  3. How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive.

You should get a certified ReadyBoost USB 2.0 or higher TD for faster speed transfer.

To use ReadyBoost in Windows 10, make sure that SuperFetch is enabled. ReadyBoost won't work if the SuperFetch service is stopped or disabled.

Go to THIS PC and right click the thumb drive and FORMAT>QUICK NTFS.

Now select properties.

Then select READY BOOST TAB.

Now set it up so you can use it for pagefile.

Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive cec0b811-bed2-4573-9dc7-b359e9a3a1fc?upload=true.jpg

Now Restart PC

Go to pagefile and set it up and send it to another fresh formatted TD. After you set the pagefile, Restart PC again.

***To change or move the Pagefile go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System>>

(OR)

Right Click THIS PC on desktop.

Advanced System Settings

Performance>>Settings

Advanced>>Change

Uncheck - Top Box

Select pagefile location in list.

Custom - Min. 64MB - Max ???

OR

System Managed Size. (Recommended)

Set, Ok, Apply, OK, Apply, OK.

Restart PC

Now I have not used this in 10 years (Ready Boost), and actually forgot all about it until it just hit me.

ENJOY!

seahawks65, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive

I am unable to set my pagefile to other drives than my system drive after the october update..

True, but it takes up space I don't have on my primary drive, I was able to somewhat fix this though..

I made a 1mb pagefile on my main drive, and now it happily works with a 12 GB one of the spare SSD.

Balle_Clorin, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive

1. Move Pagefile and still retain some on primary drive - Similar Threads - Move Pagefile still

2. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving the pagefile: I have Windows 10 in the C: partition of my PC, i.e.the first partition. Gradually the C: drive has gained more and more files and I have tried to extend it by first deleting the next partition on the drive. I found that I could not do this as Windows had placed the pagefile...
  3. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving the pagefile: I have Windows 10 in the C: partition of my PC, i.e.the first partition. Gradually the C: drive has gained more and more files and I have tried to extend it by first deleting the next partition on the drive. I found that I could not do this as Windows had placed the pagefile...
  4. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?: I have tried to use NTFS symbolic link destination drive has no letter assigned:mklink c:\swapfile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\swapfile.sysmklink c:\pagefile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\pagefile.syseverything works fine except...
  6. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?: I have tried to use NTFS symbolic link destination drive has no letter assigned:mklink c:\swapfile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\swapfile.sysmklink c:\pagefile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\pagefile.syseverything works fine except...
  7. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Pagefile cannot be moved to non-system drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pagefile cannot be moved to non-system drive: Hi,I'm facing a rather weird issue with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1151: apparently, it refuses to allocate the pagefile on any drive but C.I'm using a custom-built configuration that includes a 240 GiB scratch disk in addition to 32 GiB of physical memory. Said scratch disk...
  9. Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost: Hello. I need to increase my pagefile beyond the free size of my SSD disk (which is small in a laptop). I need to perform some complex calculations (fitting some models with a lot of data in R) that need 400GB of RAM but my computer has only 16GB. Then I had the idea of...
  10. Pagefile moved, now crashes from sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pagefile moved, now crashes from sleep.: I set the pagefile from C: boot drive to another SSD. Since then when waking from sleep mode, the PC 'wakes' but the HDD led stays constant, and nothing else happens so I have to reset. Upon reset the PC boots > POST screen > UEFI logo, spinning loading icon > then blue...