Windows 10: Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set)

Discus and support Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was battling this issue on and off randomly over the last year, I'd dig into it again and give up as I couldn't ever resolve it, all searches would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Iceinux, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Iceinux Win User

Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set)

I was battling this issue on and off randomly over the last year, I'd dig into it again and give up as I couldn't ever resolve it, all searches would just lead to people throwing in reasons to keep it as system managed, or you need better hardware. Found another user having the exact same issue however the thread is locked now and I've finally found the solution. ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/33b2136a-cd71-41f8-a634-ae15f4c9ed8e?page=1 )

My intention was to move a page file from a System disk to another.

This configuration simply doesn't work. Windows keeps ignoring the pagefile on D:\ or Z:\ or whatever disk I set. Even setting a small pagefile on C:\ and a large on another disk it will not use it.

If I try to set a "no paging file" on disk C, after restarting, Windows creates a paging file on C:\ and reports that it created a temporary page file. Checking the reported value under Virtual memory > Total paging file size for all drives it ignores any other pagefiles set. Sometimes the Windows even doesn't create a pagefile on a specified disk (I have checked it when unticked "hide protected operating system files".)

No matter what you do it keeps creating a temporary page file on C:\ the solution to this is if you have enabled Bitlocker Drive Encryption it creates and enables the registry key "PagefileOnOsVolume" and set it to enabled. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...n-bde-enables-the-pagefileonosvolume-registry

Even if you disable bitlocker and decrypt the drives this registry key stays set as enabled bypassing any attempts to move the page file to another partition / drive. If you set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagefileOnOsVolume to 0 then reboot you will be able to set your page file to none on your OS drive and move it properly to another partition / hd.

:)

Iceinux, Apr 5, 2019

2. How to move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of another)

If you rush to answer "just open the advanced system settings and find the Performance tab" - that is
    NOT the issue.

I have a completley bizarre problem:

in the Performance settings I have done this:

Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set) d133bfbb-467b-450d-b8a2-e76fe3ba4090?upload=true.png

My intention was to move a page file from a System disk to another, which are both SSD, btw.

This configuration simply doesn't work. All the apps keep ignoring the pagefile on G:\ disk and keep being shut down because of insufficient memory.

If I try to set a "no paging file" on disk C, after restarting, Windows creates a 5 Gb paging file and reports that it created a temporary page file. Still ignoring other disks. Sometimes the Windows even doesn't create a pagefile on a specified disk (I
    have checked it when unticked "hide protected operating system files".)

What is wrong here?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Рустам Хамдамов, Apr 5, 2019
  3. How to move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of another)

The solution didn't work, and I can't move the pagefile to the H:\ disk because it's a USB drive. Moreover, moving a pagefile to HDD rather than SSD may result in loss of speed.

Рустам Хамдамов, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set)

How to move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of another)

I have a vague recollection that the paging file needs to occupy unfragmented disk space. If so then you need to find a way to defrag your SSD. Doing it through the Disk Manager will not work but maybe this method will:

• Temporarily move the stuff from the SSD to a different drive or partition.
    • Format the SSD.
    • Put the paging file there.
    • Restore the data.

Frederik Long, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set)

1. Move pagefile to another disk? (Windows keeps using C: disk instead of disk set) - Similar Threads - Move pagefile another

2. Copy Disk to an another disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Disk to an another disk: Hi,I need a solution to make a copy from one hard drive to another. Usually I would just use a hard drive cloner, however in this case they are Intel Computer Sticks, so it is impossible to extract the hard drive from the computer. PXE boot is not possible, neither is boot...
  3. Copy Disk to an another disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Disk to an another disk: Hi,I need a solution to make a copy from one hard drive to another. Usually I would just use a hard drive cloner, however in this case they are Intel Computer Sticks, so it is impossible to extract the hard drive from the computer. PXE boot is not possible, neither is boot...
  4. Copy Disk to an another disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving Windows 10 to another disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to another disk: Hello Microsoft, I bought a NUC that had Windows 10 pre-installed. I am having performance issues with the hard disk that came in the NUC and would like to move to an SSD. How do I use the Windows 10 license that came with the system? Is there a way to copy from the...
  6. Moving to another disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving to another disk: How to move everything (files, programs, games and etc) from one non-system disk to another? Symbolic links will not work, because the old disk will be disabled after the transfer. submitted by /u/bogdan_nickitin [link] [comments]...
  7. C: Disk and D: Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: Disk and D: Disk: I recently got a new computer running on Windows 10 which is awesome but there is something I wanna change and I don't know how. So, my problem is the download and save paths with the quick access folders. Downloads was set on default to save to the C: Drive, so I went into...
  8. move disk to another computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    move disk to another computer: I've noticed no real hangups when moving a win10 disk to another computer and booting from it. A computer died this morning and was looking for a quick solution, so I grabbed a spare working tower and added the disk from the dead computer. This is a domain workstation and...
  9. Moving Hyper-V to Another Disk

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Moving Hyper-V to Another Disk: I'm running out of space on the disk where I have my VMs so I'd like to move all of them to another disk on the same PC. What's the best way to do that? 136593
  10. Moving Windows 10 to another Disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to another Disk: Hi, I'm Abdullah I have HP laptop with windows 10 installed, and the windows putted in recovery Disk, I'm going to replace or add an SSD hard to my system, and want to know how can I move or recover the windows on SSD. [ATTACH]...