Windows 10: Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop

Discus and support Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; please can I have some advice. My old windows 10 pc died but I still have the old hard drive with the programs and data which I have placed in an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SusanAdams3, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop

please can I have some advice. My old windows 10 pc died but I still have the old hard drive with the programs and data which I have placed in an external hard drive enclosure. I now have a new windows 10 laptop and would like to transfer over some for the programs and data. How do I go about this?

:)

SusanAdams3, Jul 21, 2019
  2. L.C.S. Win User

external disc drive

I have an external disc drive which my laptop recognizes once plugged in. However upon selecting the external disc drive (D) and inserting a cd nothing happens and I cannot name the cd in the drive, open it or upload it. It's obvious that I'm missing
    something and require technical help. Anyone with a solution or suggestion? Thank you.

L.C.S., Jul 21, 2019
  3. Old Programs

I copied C drive to external hard drive before old computer running winXPSP3 crashed. Have new computer running Win10. Some programs copied are no longer available and I do not have a disc. Is it possible to install these programs from external(WD) drive
    onto new computer? If yes HOW. Thanks

JoelCollins, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop

External drive issues

Hello,

I've changed laptop and I moved from using Windows 7 to Windows 10. I put the hard drive of the old laptop in a case and tried to plug it in the new laptop.

When I do so, the "This PC" window pops up. The new disk is there, but it is grayed out and there is no data (size, available space). In device manager I can see the external disk, and the device allegedly works correctly, and drivers are up-to-date.

If I try to open the external drive my PC freezes and I need to restart it.

I have tried all the USB ports, no difference.

I have tried this external hard drive with other PCs and it works.

I have used another external hard drive with my new laptop and it works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

{knockonwood}, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop

1. Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop - Similar Threads - Move programs date

2. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  3. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  4. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. how to transfer programs from old laptop to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to transfer programs from old laptop to new laptop: how to transfer programs from old laptop to new laptop - from windows 10 to windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-programs-from-old-laptop-to-new/10628b52-b0b8-4a4d-8e6b-1003d91bede7
  6. How to move programs from old laptop to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move programs from old laptop to new laptop: So I got a new laptop today, And I was wondering if there is any way to move all my programs from old laptop to new laptop, WITHOUT having to manually install them all again? It is just an insane amount of time, and I really don't have enough time for that Is it ok to...
  7. Move data drive from old computer into new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...
  8. installing old program from disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing old program from disc: l have and old version of msmoney 1999 and 2006 and want to install them as a teaching add for myself as it is a great program and will help me get back on track as l have a serious illness and my memory has been affected , so would u be so kind as to help me with this issue,...
  9. Moving files from laptop to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files from laptop to external drive: I'm trying to free up space on my computer and am not sure how to safely move files from my laptop to my external drive. And then what do do to free up the space I need...
  10. External Optical Drive from Old Laptop Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Optical Drive from Old Laptop Not Working: I have a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player that I pulled from my old laptop so I could use it in my current laptop which does not have an optical drive. I purchased a SATA cable to connect it to my new laptop via USB, but most times I plug it in, it does not work. By this I mean, I got...