Windows 10: Move recovery partition?

Discus and support Move recovery partition? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Just installed a new M.2 SSD into an MSI GE72 laptop running Windows 10. First used MSI's Burn Recovery tool to copy the recovery to a USB flash drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Chrifister, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Move recovery partition?

Just installed a new M.2 SSD into an MSI GE72 laptop running Windows 10. First used MSI's Burn Recovery tool to copy the recovery to a USB flash drive. Restored onto the SSD and wiped the HDD. The resulting partitions on the SSD are shown in the attached image. So I end up with 6 partitions:

1 - EFI Recovery
    2 - Hidden Windows partition
    3 - C: or first usable partition
    4 - 900 MB Recovery partition
    5 - D: or second usable partition
    6 - MSI's OS recovery image partition

The issue I'm having is that I'd like to collapse partitions 3 and 5 into one large partition for the C: drive. I am unable to do this because of the 900 MB recovery partition between them. Disk Management does not give me any options for this partition. Since I plan on dual booting with Linux installed on a second partition on the HDD, I assume I can use GParted to move the recovery partition to partition 5. I also assume that by doing this, I'll break the recovery function as WinRE is still pointing to partition 4. Also, since I'll then collapse the two usable partitions into one, the partition numbers of that 900 MB partition and the MSI OS recovery partition will change. I'm guessing that there is a way to update the settings but I've run across different forum threads that say the OEM recoveries are custom set up by them. So any generic Windows 10 guides I find may not be applicable.

Of course, I have no basis for a lot of these assumptions as this is my first foray into a Windows OS after Windows 7. Also my first time owning a machine with UEFI, which seems to be fighting against me installing Linux.

I don't understand why MSI would decide to split the large usable partition into two? Even more confused as to why they decided it was a great idea to create an untouchable 900 MB recovery partition in between them?

Maybe also try to convince me how UEFI and Windows 10 is so much better than Windows 7 with a custom recovery in a less than 5 GB custom made recovery partition?

:)

Chrifister, Dec 4, 2015

2. Low space in C drive,Recovery partition is empty.

Thanks for the reply.

I want to know that is it possible to move recovery files in C drive to Recovery drive already in my device (Not copy, move). If yes, how?

Hari PrasadReddy, Dec 4, 2015
  3. Move hidden OEM Windows Recovery Partition from on Hard disk to another Disk (HDD or SSD)

That is another 3rd party software. Even if it has a free version, don't want to use it.

I'm searching for the solution which you can do it only with Windows (maybe it was something with Recovery Drive which comes installed with Windows).

But anyway, thank you for your time ! Move recovery partition? :)

Andrei Ciprian, Dec 4, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Move recovery partition?

The 18.5GB partition has to be the factory recovery partition...

Download my recovery tools ISO (in sig below)

Copy contents of ISO to USB
    Boot from USB
    use Aomei Partition assistant and resize (shrink) C: from the left by 900MB - Apply
    Move the 900MB partition to the front of C: into the freespace you just created - apply
    Resize C: or D: to fill the space left by the move - apply

Kyhi, Dec 4, 2015
  5. Wouldn't moving the partition change its partition number? Wouldn't that then break the recovery because the WinRE and OS image partitions are specified in the recovery info shown with the reagentc command?

I have come across some guides for updating the recovery paths using reagentc but would they still apply to the OEM recovery?

Chrifister, Dec 4, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Yes it would break the Link.. But an easy fix...

Reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /Target C:\Windows
    to
    Reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /Target C:\Windows

I just noticed you used the MSI recovery Media USB to restore the factory Image ????

We could also modify two files on the recovery media and setup the disk anyway you want to...
    need to see inside the sources folder on Recovery USB

Kyhi, Dec 4, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I prefer to assign the recovery partition a temporary drive letter and then just use the drive letter path to set reagentc paths, then remove the drive letter when done.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  8. Move recovery partition?

How do you make changes to the recovery media with regards to the partition

SimpleJack, May 20, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Explain what you are trying to do...
    You can modify two file that where created, when you created the recovery media...

PBR-DiskpartScript.txt
    PBR-Resetcfg.xml

By modifying those two files , you can create your own partition layout, and determine where WinRE places the files..

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Move recovery partition?

1. Move recovery partition? - Similar Threads - Move recovery partition

2. Moving the Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving the Recovery Partition: HiI need to move the recovery partition to the left because I need free space at the end of the drive.Will moving this prevent "Windows Reset" from working in future? If so, how do I prevent this?...
  3. Moving the Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving the Recovery Partition: HiI need to move the recovery partition to the left because I need free space at the end of the drive.Will moving this prevent "Windows Reset" from working in future? If so, how do I prevent this?...
  4. Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition: Hi, I have the recovery partition but the recovery file are in the C: filesystem. I don't know if it uses the recovery partition but I would like to move from C: to the recovery partition to save some space. It's possible? 176302
  5. Moving a Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving a Recovery Partition: Hi! Is there any way for me to move the recovery partition whatsoever on Disk 0? I want to merge E: with the unallocated space on the other side of it but I can't because the partition is in the way.[ATTACH]...
  6. Move recovery partition - is it possible?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move recovery partition - is it possible?: I upgraded a couple days ago from a 250 GB HDD to a 500 GB SSD. I imaged the old drive using the Windows Image toolControl Panel -> System and Security -> Backup & Restore -> Create system image and then I restored the image to the new drive. The only problem is that it also...
  7. Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition: Please read through to the bottom. I have 2 questions there. This is in relation to comments on threads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unused-11gb-recovery-partition/24a7cbbe-960a-490f-b916-e07eba32281e and...
  8. Moving partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving partitions: Hi, I wanted to reorder/arrange the disk. How can I move the OEM partition to the 2nd location such that C drive will be 3rd partition . Please see attached snapshot. 143845
  9. Problem Setting Recovery Partition after Moving Partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem Setting Recovery Partition after Moving Partitions: I just used Partition Magic to reconfigure my partitions as shown below: [img] The 925GB recovery partition is no longer recognised - see the reagentc reconfiguration command below: C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /setreimage /path...
  10. Move recovery drive to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery drive to a separate partition: Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. PBR-DiskpartScript.txt location

2. after cloning os to ssd with AOMEI Partition Assistant and deleting old C partition my laptop still tries to boor from old HDD