Windows 10: Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive)

Discus and support Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is this possible without third-party software? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it with disk management, I shrink the volume I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Xehanort, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Xehanort Win User

Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive)

Is this possible without third-party software? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it with disk management, I shrink the volume I want to take space from but then the "expand volume" option is greyed out when I right click on the partition I want to move that free space to. And they're all in the same physical SSD drive so I don't know why it isn't working.

Am I doing something wrong? And if third-party software is indeed necessary, you guys have any recommendations for me? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

:)

Xehanort, Jun 28, 2020
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Jun 28, 2020
  3. SamSam77w Win User
    Moving Free Space between Hard Drive Volumes

This is all on the SAME physical drive (Disk 0):

I have HDD partitioned into multiple extended partitions: D, E, & F.

I need to move free space to my primary C drive from my F partition.

I've created free space from F.

So, here's my question:

I know this free space needs to be next to the C drive, but how do I move that free space to allow me to extend my C drive from that Free Space (on F)?

SamSam77w, Jun 28, 2020
  4. jcam3 Win User

Move unpartitioned space from one to another disk in Windows

You cannot do this unless you use something like a virtual machine where you can build out a virtual disk drive. Some VM software will let you "combine" physical hard disks into a "virtual disk" that the virtual machine would recognize as a single physical device. I believe VMWare has a software solution for this, if you need something specific to look at.

You're looking at three separate physical disks in that picture. The total space available on disk 1 is 111GB, that's all you get. You could certainly shrink that C drive partition to get room for an other partition, but you can't physically add a chunk of one hard drive to another. If you used Disk Manager to shrink the partition, your existing partitions on disk 1 plus the un-allocated space can still only equal 111GB.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say it looks like you're running out of space on your C drive and are trying to solve that problem. Since what you're asking isn't really possible, you have two options:

1. Get a larger hard drive to hold your Windows installation
    2. Clean out your C: drive and move anything that doesn't need to be there over to a different drive with more space. Tools like CCleaner and WinDirStat can help with this process. You can also replicate the Windows file system on another disk and instruct the system to place downloads and other files in there so they don't bloat your installation hard drive.

jcam3, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive) - Similar Threads - Move space partition

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  4. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  5. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  6. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

7. Files moved from one drive to another

Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  8. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  9. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?: Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and...
  10. Moving the System partition from one disk to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the System partition from one disk to another: Hello everybody, I'm having an issue with the setup of my Windows 10 computer. I'm pretty lost right now. A few months ago, I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 in disk 0 (SSD). Because I had several work files, during installation I've maintained an old disk also...