Windows 10: Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

Discus and support Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AlexAvram, Feb 28, 2022.

1. AlexAvram Win User

Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the system partition, but then the computer fails to boot. The tutorial that I followed is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYrTDnu3mx8&t=10s . Besides that after the migration of the partition I've also put the SSD as the main boot device in BIOS and also removed the letter for the newly created p

:)

AlexAvram, Feb 28, 2022

2. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

The results were the same as before: Windows is installed in a single 477 GB partition on Disk 0 and the System Reserved is in a 500 MB partition on Drive 1. The rest of Drive 1 is unallocated. This is identical to the configuration I had when I asked the
    question.

The Media Creation Tool used to created the install ISO DVD is v. 10.0.14393 downloaded on 12/13/2016.

I followed your instructions:

• I selected Drive 0 and deleted the existing Windows partition.
    • I clicked New and Apply. Windows then formatted Drive 0 as a single primary partition.
    • The existing System Reserved partition was still on Drive 1.
    • So I deleted the System Reserved partition on Drive 1 and the just created Primary partition on Drive 0
    • I then selected Drive 0 and clicked New and Apply again. Same result a single Primary partition on Drive 0. Drive 1 was left unallocated.
    • Upon completion of the install
      • Windows occupies about 15 GB in the only partition on Drive 0
      • The 500 MB System Reserved partition was placed on Drive 1
      • The rest of Drive 1 is unallocated.

How can I get the System Reserved partition to be placed as the Partition 1 on Drive 0 with Windows installed in Partition 2?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Feb 28, 2022
  3. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

My PC was dual-boot with the 500 MB System Reserved and Primary System partitions on Drive 0 and the Secondary (2nd on added) on Drive 1. Then I started having boot problems which apparently were caused by Disk 0 errors. I would often get "Scanning and repairing
    drive" notification during bootup. Then Windows went through some extensive repairs during one boot attempt and added a 500 MB Recovery partition in an unallocated area of Drive 1 after the System partition. I think it was called Recovery. Eventually the computer
    wouldn't boot at all.

Now I've replaced the Drive 0 HDD with a 500 GB SSD drive and completed a clean install of Windows 10 on a New 200 (195.31) GB partition on Drive 0 with the intention of the System Reserved partition being added by the Windows installer before the System
    partition on Drive 0. That's not what happened, the 500 MB Recovery partition on Drive 1 was replaced with the System Reserved partition. So, I repeated the Windows 10 clean install on SSD Drive 0 and deleted all partitions on Drives 0 & 1 before adding a
    New 200 (195.31) GB partition on Drive 0 and selecting Drive 0 for the Windows 10 install. Windows again placed the System reserved partition on Drive 1.

Why is Windows insisting on installing the System Reserved partition on Drive 1?

What do I need to do to get Windows to place the System Reserved partition ahead of the System partition on Drive 0 leaving Drive 1 completely unallocated?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Feb 28, 2022
  4. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since
    the SSD is Disk 1 the Ubuntu install goes directly to Disk 0 because Disk 0 is first on the list. How can I switch the two Disks so my SSD drive is Disk 0? Thanks.

Katie Witkin, Feb 28, 2022
Thema:

Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

1. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1 - Similar Threads - Move system partition

2. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: This laptop supports 2 drives. I recently added a second drive internal and then just had to perform a clean install of windows 11.For some reason it first tried to install on the secondary drive and now the drives numbers are messed up, ie reversed; so I want to do exactly...
  3. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: This laptop supports 2 drives. I recently added a second drive internal and then just had to perform a clean install of windows 11.For some reason it first tried to install on the secondary drive and now the drives numbers are messed up, ie reversed; so I want to do exactly...
  4. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  5. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  6. Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1: My computer contained an OS Boot C SSD and a regular OEM HDD hard drive. I recently updated my 256GB OEM SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe - M2. After cloning my old OEN SSD using Samsung Data Migration Tool to the new disk, and replacing the old one with the new...
  7. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: Hi, I bought a Desktop it came with M.2 MVME PCIe SSD and HDD . the win10 is in the SSD . But the SSD is listed as disk1 and the HDD listed as disk0 in Disk Management. In general it's functioning OK, but today when I installed the Adata SSD Tool Box for maintenance...
  8. How do I move the unallocated partition from disk 1 to disk 0 ? I'm trying to expand the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move the unallocated partition from disk 1 to disk 0 ? I'm trying to expand the...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/JASON--larking [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ibn1js/how_do_i_move_the_unallocated_partition_from_disk/
  9. How to combine disk 1 and disk 0? Or how take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0?

How to combine disk 1 and disk 0? Or how take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0?: How to combine disk 1 and disk 0? Or how take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-combine-disk-1-and-disk-0-or-how-take-the/3eed52f7-3b97-42c9-af39-f5b6a9afccc7
  10. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since the SSD is Disk 1 the...