Windows 10: Move the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive

Discus and support Move the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My windows 10 installation is on (C:) drive ("Boot" label), however the Boot Loader ("System" label) resides on another disk (F:). Here is the Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thanosa, May 26, 2020.

1. thanosa Win User

Move the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive

My windows 10 installation is on (CMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :) drive ("Boot" label), however the Boot Loader ("System" label) resides on another disk (FMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :).

Here is the Disk Management:

Move the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive [​IMG]

I need some help on how to move the Boot Loaded from the (FMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :) drive to (CMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :) without formatting the (CMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :) drive which has the windows installation. Formatting the (FMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :) drive is something I can easily do.

Note: One of the reasons that I need to do this fix is that the BitLocker is not enabled for my disk drive (FMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :). Another reason is that I want to be able to detach the drive (FMove the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive :) without affecting my system boot.

Additional information:
    Windows version: Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
    BIOS Mode: Legacy
    BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc F3
    BIOS Date: 24-Dec-18
    SMBIOS Versions: 3.2

:)

thanosa, May 26, 2020

2. Migration from Hdd to m2.SSD

Recently I have purchased a new laptop (hp probook 450 G4) and a new original windows 10 home edition and now I want to upgrade my 1 TB Hdd to a new m2 ssd and my laptop supports another slot for the m2 ssd so I can run both
    the m2 ssd & hdd at the same time but I will make the m2 ssd the boot drive and the hdd will be the data drive.
    MY Question is how can I migrate system drive to the new m2 ssd without the need to reinstall windows or any other installed programs and there is another thing, when I checked the disk management I found 3 recovery partitions will I have to
    migrate them too or I have to migrate the system drive only

MostafaEl-Desoky, May 26, 2020
  3. KTR
    ktr Win User
    How do I remove the Linux Boot Loader?

You don't actually uninstall a boot loader but replace it with another.

You cannot get Ubuntu to start on a Windows' boot loader, it needs to be GRUB (or an open source equivalent).

Any ways, to get the Windows' boot loader back up, you need to insert your WIN7 installer disk and select the repair option>startup repair. I am assuming the WIN7 will use a similar setup menu as VISTA.

Follow the guide here for step by step intructions: Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

After that, just format the partition/disk that ubuntu is on...

4. MilkyWay Win User

issues with Boot Loader

esaay bcd has a repair boot loader and other boot loader options, its saved me back when i removed my second hard drive

MilkyWay, May 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Move the Boot Loader from HDD to M2 disk drive - Similar Threads - Move Boot Loader

2. Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive: My M.2 NVMe Win10 boot disk is no longer recognized as a boot disk. In the motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E BIOS the drive is correctly recognized mfgr and size. But the BIOS does not see a Boot Loader on it Under Boot Priority I expect to see Windows Boot Manager and is is...
  3. Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive: My M.2 NVMe Win10 boot disk is no longer recognized as a boot disk. In the motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E BIOS the drive is correctly recognized mfgr and size. But the BIOS does not see a Boot Loader on it Under Boot Priority I expect to see Windows Boot Manager and is is...
  4. Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Booting from M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from M2 SSD: Hello,I had installed windows 10 on classic SSD and yesterday I bought new M2 SSD, plug in into my PC and install windows 11. I want to unplug the first SSD, but when I do it my PC not boot only Bios startup and I can't use this new M2 for boot. Can u please help with that if...
  6. Moving win10 from hdd to m2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving win10 from hdd to m2: Hi, I have a laptop and I bought a new Samsung 500GB m2 , I want to move windows from the old hdd to m2 , but I want to keep the hdd too. So how should I do it? Should I move it without formatting? and how ? Or is it better to fromat the hdd and clean install it on m2 ?...
  7. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.: I have an older gaming PC to which I added a 240GB SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. The old, now secondary, HDD is a 1TB drive that served as my OS drive previously. Is there a way to move my old "Desktop" to the new SSD so that when I launch Windows I will see...
  8. Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD: So today I used WinToUsb to install another version of windows on to my external hard drive and formatted as GPT. I wanted a dual boot system. Installation went smooth and I was able to boot from my external hard drive that has Windows 10 Enterprise, the SSD has Pro. Later...
  9. Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to change boot loader from external HDD to Internal SSD: So today I used WinToUsb to install another version of windows on to my external hard drive and formatted as GPT. I wanted a dual boot system. Installation went smooth and I was able to boot from my external hard drive that has Windows 10 Enterprise, the SSD has Pro. Later...
  10. Booting From M2.SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booting From M2.SSD: I'm totally confused on this, as I'm old school computers and not this new stuff that is out there. Here's what I know. HP told me that with my Z220 Workstation that if I upgrade the BIOS that I could boot from an M2 SSD. So tonight I looked at my BIOS and saw all my drives...