Windows 10: Move the boot partition to another drive?

Discus and support Move the boot partition to another drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My situation is as follows: My Desktop has 2 different SSDs: First has a WS19 install and the boot partition, Second has only the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JM-Lemmi, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Move the boot partition to another drive?

My situation is as follows: My Desktop has 2 different SSDs:

First has a WS19 install and the boot partition, Second has only the Windows 10 partition.

I want to delete the WS19 partition and move W10 into its place. Am I right, that I have to keep the original boot partitions alive? I looked at Makrium Reflects options, but I could only clone the whole Disk and not just the Windows partition over.

What would be my best option here? Thanks!

submitted by /u/JM-Lemmi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JM-Lemmi, Feb 6, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Feb 6, 2021
  4. Dandel Win User

Move the boot partition to another drive?

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Move the boot partition to another drive?

1. Move the boot partition to another drive? - Similar Threads - Move boot partition

2. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  3. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  4. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  6. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  7. Moving boot partition to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving boot partition to another drive: I've found very mixed things about this, most making it seem too difficult to be worthwhile. I have Windows 10 dual booting with OSX, and for some reason, Windows put its bootloader on my HDD which I use solely for backup purposes. Windows itself is installed to its own SSD....
  8. System partition on one drive; boot partition & Windows on another?

System partition on one drive; boot partition & Windows on another?: I have a 4 year old Dell XPS 8700 running windows 10 (2004 though I don't think that matters). I had used MiniTool Partition Wizard to clean up some partition issues on an old laptop and ran it on this machine. I see that 3 months ago when I added an SSD drive as the primary...
  9. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?: Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and...
  10. How to move the boot status from a partition to another ?

How to move the boot status from a partition to another ?: How to move the boot status from a partition to another of the same one HDD on GUID Partition Table system on windows 10 ? I have cloned the bootable OS partition (lettered with C) to another partition (letter F) so the size used is near exact. screenshot from AOMEI...