Windows 10: Move upgrade from dead computer?

Discus and support Move upgrade from dead computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been reading assorted posts and answers for the past couple weeks, but haven't found a response that addresses my situation, which seems odd,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LoydJames5, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Move upgrade from dead computer?

I've been reading assorted posts and answers for the past couple weeks, but haven't found a response that addresses my situation, which seems odd, since I can't be the only one to ever have experienced this. There are two parts to this, with the second dependent on the first.

First, Can I transfer a Windows 10 Pro upgrade? I think the answer is 'yes,' based on the bulk of the comments I've seen, but there have been comments stating 'no' as well. My old machine (the dead one) had been running Windows 10 Home -- which either came installed or was a free upgrade from Windows 7/8, I don't recall, but definitely OEM of some flavor -- and I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade ($100). The upgrade was digital and linked to my Microsoft account. Per https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/, it sounds like I should be able to transfer this upgrade, because it's considered to be a "retail" version: "If you performed an Easy Upgrade to the Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10 Home, you can transfer it using Digital Licensing. This is possible because of the Pro Pack, while an upgrade, is a retail license attached to the Microsoft Account used to purchase it." My new system came with Windows 10 Home already installed (and now activated).

Second, assuming the above is accurate and I am able/licensed to transfer that upgrade, How do I do that when the original computer is dead? All of the pages and comments about transferring a license make the assumption that machine the license will be transferred from is still operational; that's not the case for me. I can access the drive, if there is relevant information stored somewhere, but most of the instructions have the user disable/deactivate the license and/or grab the product key. I can't do the former, and since the upgrade was digital, there is no latter.

It's likely a call to the MS support line would address the second part, if there's no way to do it myself, but there's no point in calling if the first part isn't correct. I'd rather not have to spend another hundred dollars for another upgrade if the previous one is still available to me. Any guidance on affirming the "Can" and doing the "How" would be most appreciated.

:)

LoydJames5, Oct 21, 2019

2. Video card or RAM need upgrading?

Memtest: no errors after 10 hrs.
    I'm going to perform the Primetest, later on. Get back to you on that.
    I'm going to take it step by step, guys. I need to find the problem with this current computer. I might have to upgrade some components, so that it is still runnable. As for the new one, yes....i will build on it later. I need to find something decent 'gaming experience', all suggestions appreciated. THanks.

itsmeitsme, Oct 21, 2019
  3. No more touchpad for my laptop since upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Derek,

I would suggest the following steps :

• Press Windows + X
    • Click on Device Manager
    • Right click on TouchPad drivers in the list.
    • Choose Upgrade Drivers
    • Reboot computer

Check if this helped to fix the issue.

Vinod Archak, Oct 21, 2019
  4. swarfega Win User

Move upgrade from dead computer?

preparing to upgrade

You can try following this guide. I suggest either step 4 or step 7.

swarfega, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Move upgrade from dead computer?

1. Move upgrade from dead computer? - Similar Threads - Move upgrade dead

2. how to move win11 license from dead motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move win11 license from dead motherboard: Googling I read that I can uninstall retail win11, then install on another system. However, the motherboard is dead, so cannot uninstall. Can I just delete it from my Microsoft account similar to deleting one of my 365 family shares?Is this explained better somewhere? I...
  3. how to move win11 license from dead motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move win11 license from dead motherboard: Googling I read that I can uninstall retail win11, then install on another system. However, the motherboard is dead, so cannot uninstall. Can I just delete it from my Microsoft account similar to deleting one of my 365 family shares?Is this explained better somewhere? I...
  4. Computer is dead

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is dead: I have an hp all in one desktop I love Model: 24-DP0014 And it is dead. The tech said no idea we tried the 15 sec reboot he says scrapIt but it’s only 2 years old. Has this been a problem and does it need to be just scrapped?...
  5. transfer the license from a dead computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer the license from a dead computer: I have a windows 7 computer that had my license Mircosoft Office on it . How can I transfer it to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-the-license-from-a-dead-computer/4e07af5e-7cca-448f-b71b-b746d052624d
  6. transfter the license from a dead computer

transfter the license from a dead computer: I have a windows 7 computer that had my license Mircosoft Office on it . How can I transfer it to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfter-the-license-from-a-dead-computer/4e07af5e-7cca-448f-b71b-b746d052624d
  7. Moving data from dead laptop to PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving data from dead laptop to PC: Recently, I found my old, broken laptop, and I removed the hard disk drive from it. That laptop ran Windows 7, and I was wondering if I could put it in my pc, which runs Windows 10 Home, to transfer the files (pictures, documents, etc). Info Old one is Toshiba 320 gigabyte...
  8. Computer Dead From Game

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Computer Dead From Game: Bought Forza 4 got it to install. Next day wont load game and crashes to desktop. Uninstall game to reinstall and hope to fix this problem. Wont install gets an error message. Reinstall window fresh install. Now Store wont open loads a bit then just goes to a white screen....
  9. transferring Windows from dead computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring Windows from dead computer: I bought a retail version of Windows for my computer 4 years ago. I did a free update to Windows Pro & it refers to my having Windows 10 Pro on the Microsoft website. Now my old computer has died & I can't access anything. When I build my new computer, I am wondering if I...
  10. Moving Hard Drive from dead computer to new computer without restallin

Moving Hard Drive from dead computer to new computer without restallin: Hello everyone I have a dead acer aspire axc-704g-uw61 and I want move hard drive with windows 10 to new computer a Dell Optiplex 980 without reinstall windows 10. Can anyone show right way to do this task. *Wink Thanks Robert. 91474