Windows 10: Move user profiles to another drive to free up space

Discus and support Move user profiles to another drive to free up space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can someone please tell me how i move all the user profiles on my pc we have 3 from my c: almost full where windows in installed to my d: which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Natasha Leppard, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Move user profiles to another drive to free up space

Can someone please tell me how i move all the user profiles on my pc we have 3 from my c: almost full where windows in installed to my d: which is almost empty - main concern is getting one drive to move locations with the profiles??

anybody know what i need to do??

many thanks

natasha

:)

Natasha Leppard, Feb 12, 2020

2. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hello,

When attempting to login to my computer, I get the following message:

"The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded."

I referred to this Help article,You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error
    message,

but the only difference is I only have one user profile on this computer. So, I can't login with another user to go through the steps listed in this post.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gerald Matthews, Feb 12, 2020
  3. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hi Annie,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with the user accounts on Windows 10.

Method 1: I suggest you enter into safe mode and enable built-in administrator and check with the status of User profile service.

Step 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    d. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Method 2: Try to create a new user account (Microsoft account) and check if you are able to access the content from your computer

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: Create a Microsoft account

Method 3: Check the status of User profile services.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command, type
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for User Profile Service, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic
    • Now check if you are able to log-in.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Rose Ter Win User

Move user profiles to another drive to free up space

migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Move user profiles to another drive to free up space

1. Move user profiles to another drive to free up space - Similar Threads - Move user profiles

2. Can I move C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to another drive to free up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to another drive to free up space: Hello, I am running out of space and microsoft.net is 2.78gb, i was wondering if i Can I move C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to another drive to free up space through a symbolic link or something...
  3. Can I move C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to another drive to free up space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I move C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to another drive to free up space: Hello, I am running out of space and microsoft.net is 2.78gb, i was wondering if i Can I move C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to another drive to free up space through a symbolic link or something...
  4. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  5. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  6. Moving user profile folders to another drive

7. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  8. Moving user profile to another drive

Moving user profile to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  9. Moving user profile to another drive

10. Move user profile folders to another drive

Move user profile folders to another drive: I've seen some stuff on here about how to move folders IN a user profile to another drive. I need the entire profile to be on another drive. I bought an OEM Dell machine that came with a 256GB system drive and a 1TB data drive. Great. As far as it goes. Moving just...