Windows 10: Move win 7 pro virtual machine to windows 10 pro easily?

Discus and support Move win 7 pro virtual machine to windows 10 pro easily? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Windows Ver 1909 (OS build 18363.1082) I created a Windows XP virtual machine in Windows 7 Pro a number of years ago to run an older version of a very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by KMCKMC, Sep 25, 2020.

1. KMCKMC Win User

Move win 7 pro virtual machine to windows 10 pro easily?

Windows Ver 1909 (OS build 18363.1082)

I created a Windows XP virtual machine in Windows 7 Pro a number of years ago to run an older version of a very expensive statistical program. It worked beautifully. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and need to create a Windows XP virtual machine there to run this program. Is there a simple way to export or move this virtual machine to Hyper-V and create a virtual machine there? Once created, will the statistical software need to be reinstalled?

:)

KMCKMC, Sep 25, 2020
  2. KMCKMC Win User

Windows Ver 1909 (OS build 18363.1082)

I created a Windows XP virtual machine in Windows 7 Pro a number of years ago to run an older version of a very expensive statistical program. It worked beautifully. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and need to create a Windows XP virtual machine there to run this program. Is there a simple way to export or move this virtual machine to Hyper-V and create a virtual machine there? Once created, will the statistical software need to be reinstalled?

KMCKMC, Sep 25, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

Welcome to Ten Forums KMCKMC

I assume you used the 'Windows XP Mode virtual machine' in Windows 7. If so, then this tutorial tells you how to import into Windows 10 Hyper-V.

Import Windows XP Mode from Windows 7 to Windows 10

4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

what Virtualisation software were you using to run the XP virtual machine --probably VBOX or VMWare WKS or Player.

I'm running an XP for the same reason you are - I'm using both W10 and a Linux Host for running the XP VM - using VMWare.

Move win 7 pro virtual machine to windows 10 pro easily? [​IMG]

Here's an XP VM on VMWare running recording to a Minidisc deck (a Pro one so no DRM with digital copies etc). OK it's on a Linux host but it's 100% the same on a W10 host - have run the identical software on a W10 laptop too.

If you try and switch say to VBOX or another Virtualisation software such as QEMU then you will get problems because these conversion programs (e.g OVF export / import) will probably fail because they require an IDE driver . Fiddling around with mergeide.reg on the VM isn't worth the hassle (IMO)

If you were lucky enough tho still have the VM from your old Windows system you shouldn't need to re-install anything again on the VM whether VBOX or VMWare. other than VBOX additions or VMWare tools

If you were using VMWare (the VMWare player is free) then just copy the entire vm files from your W7 system -- and when starting the VM say YOU MOVED it not COPIED it or you will probably lose activation. You will need to install VMtools again as well. (just run - reinstall vmware tools )

Same if you were using VBOX (re-install vbox additions on the VM after boot).

As far as HYPER-V is concerned -- sorry absolutely no idea.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Move win 7 pro virtual machine to windows 10 pro easily? - Similar Threads - Move pro virtual

2. OEM Win 10 Pro key not accepted by Win 11 Pro Insider Preview Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM Win 10 Pro key not accepted by Win 11 Pro Insider Preview Virtual Machine: I'm running Linux on a HP EliteDesk 800 G3 with a Core i5 7400. Now I thought since there was an OEM Windows 10 Pro Licence bundled with the EliteDesk I could use this key to run Windows 11 Pro in a Virtual Machine kvm. After short search I found here in this community that...
  3. OEM Win 10 Pro key not accepted by Win 11 Pro Insider Preview Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM Win 10 Pro key not accepted by Win 11 Pro Insider Preview Virtual Machine: I'm running Linux on a HP EliteDesk 800 G3 with a Core i5 7400. Now I thought since there was an OEM Windows 10 Pro Licence bundled with the EliteDesk I could use this key to run Windows 11 Pro in a Virtual Machine kvm. After short search I found here in this community that...
  4. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  5. Virtual Machine windows 10 Pro licensing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Virtual Machine windows 10 Pro licensing: Hi, I have a server that is running hyper-v 2016 core and i would like to run a few windows 10 Pro virtual machines. Do i use the standard licensing or is there a different way of licensing the machines? We are using Office 365 for our user accounts so can assign other...
  6. Installing windows 10 Pro on a windows 7 Pro Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows 10 Pro on a windows 7 Pro Machine: I am trying to upgrade to windows 10 Pro, Every time I try to install it gets to the end and errors out and I get the following: 0x800707E7 0x3000D First Boot Phase error during migrate data...
  7. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  8. win 7 pro win 10 pro

win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac
  9. Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro: I installed Windows 10 pro as a VMware Workstation 14 Player Virtual Machine. I tried to activate it using the product key from an OEM Win7 pro DVD I purchased for a pc I built years ago (and then disassembled months ago). That didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks for any...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...