Windows 10: Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

Discus and support Move Win10 pro to larger SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have read many MSFT and other web sites on how to move Win10 pro to a new larger SSD. But have not been able to successfully move my C: drive.I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JimGDFW, Jan 25, 2022.

1. JimGDFW Win User

Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

I have read many MSFT and other web sites on how to move Win10 pro to a new larger SSD. But have not been able to successfully move my C: drive.I used diskmgmt.msc to clone my current ~256GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD. But can't figure how to make the new SSD the boot drive. Can someone please provide guidance on the best references to achieve this move?If all else fails, does Microsoft have a support for this?Thank you.

:)

JimGDFW, Jan 25, 2022
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Jan 25, 2022
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jan 25, 2022
  4. xkm1948 Win User

Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to migrate my Win10 to my NVMe SSD. Installation wise there should be no problem. However I cannot seem to be able to erase the old Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. If I boot from USB Win10 Installation media it only ask me whether I want to repair the SATA SSD Win10 or not. Any ideas on how to complete erase the SSD that currently have Win10 on it? I tried sanitize drive and PSID revert in Win10, neither would work. The SATA SSD is Crucial MX200.

xkm1948, Jan 25, 2022
Thema:

1. Move Win10 pro to larger SSD - Similar Threads - Move Win10 pro

2. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  3. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  4. Can I move my Windows 10 Pro onto a larger SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move my Windows 10 Pro onto a larger SSD?: I have an original 1 TB HDD with my official copy of Win 10 Pro. I hope to install a 2 TB SDD which has a unknown copy of Win 10 Home apparently 'ready to use' into my Dell Optiplex 9020, where current OS is. I'm not sure how to go about it. The SSD is recognized on File...
  5. Can I move my Windows 10 Pro onto a larger SSD?

Can I move my Windows 10 Pro onto a larger SSD?: I have an original 1 TB HDD with my official copy of Win 10 Pro. I hope to install a 2 TB SDD which has a unknown copy of Win 10 Home apparently 'ready to use' into my Dell Optiplex 9020, where current OS is. I'm not sure how to go about it. The SSD is recognized on File...
  6. Can I move my Windows 10 Pro onto a larger SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Win10 pro to larger SSD: I have read many MSFT and other web sites on how to move Win10 pro to a new larger SSD. But have not been able to successfully move my C: drive.I used diskmgmt.msc to clone my current ~256GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD. But can't figure how to make the new SSD the boot drive. Can...
  8. Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

Move Win10 pro to larger SSD: I have read many MSFT and other web sites on how to move Win10 pro to a new larger SSD. But have not been able to successfully move my C: drive.I used diskmgmt.msc to clone my current ~256GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD. But can't figure how to make the new SSD the boot drive. Can...
  9. How to move windows 10 to new larger SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move windows 10 to new larger SSD: I'm getting a larger SSD for my wife's laptop. How do I transfer Windows 10, the applications and data to the new drive?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-windows-10-to-new-larger-ssd/7506bd26-eb06-4266-9f0d-faa02f841f13
  10. Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?: I have purchased an OEM laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. The laptop packaging box or label on the back of the laptop did not have a Window 10 product key listed anywhere. However I've found the product key from command line like so which gives me a 25 digit key wmic...