Windows 10: Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

Discus and support Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BigT1965, Oct 1, 2022.

1. BigT1965 Win User

Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the original SSD. Can I get the new SSD, install it in my computer and install Windows 10 on it. Then go back to the older SSD and remove uninstall the Windows 10 installation from it just leaving the other programs and games?

:)

BigT1965, Oct 1, 2022

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Oct 1, 2022
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - New SSD

I had the same question and got a great answer. Hope this helps!

Here is 10 steps to Windows 10 (from windows 7 home pro)

1. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Scroll down and click "download tool now"

3. Open and follow prompt and put installer as an ISO or put on USB drive

4. go to Computer Properties and Write down your Microsoft Product Code BEFORE MOVING ON TO STEP 5!

5. Install new SSD

6. Start PC and boot from new windows 10 USB or DVD

7. Install windows 10 on new SSD

8. Activate your new windows 10 with your Microsoft product code

9. Copy over old files from old SSD

10. Enjoy Windows 10!

AlexFrostdaPimp, Oct 1, 2022
  4. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

Window upgrade to new SSD

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you for the issue.

I would like to inform you that if you replace the current ssd with new ssd then you will face issues with your currently installed OS that is Windows 8.1. So in this case we suggest you let the currently ssd be there and
    you can install Windows 10 on the new ssd without replacing with the current ssd so that the system doesn't crash.

Let us know if you need more information. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 1, 2022
Thema:

Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

1. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD - Similar Threads - Move SSD SSD

2. Moving to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving to a new SSD: I have a desktop PC with a 930GB hard drive only 220 GB used; it's working ok but for various reasons I'd like to get a SSD drive and move to it. My nearby PC service company says they can easily install the new disk, and upgrade from my current Windows 7 to Windows 10....
  3. Moving to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving to a new SSD: I have a desktop PC with a 930GB hard drive only 220 GB used; it's working ok but for various reasons I'd like to get a SSD drive and move to it. My nearby PC service company says they can easily install the new disk, and upgrade from my current Windows 7 to Windows 10....
  4. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  5. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  6. Moving windows 10 to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows 10 to new SSD: Hello! I recently bought a new Samsung 1 TB SSD for my computer, mainly for more storage but also for a faster boot up. I want to move my OS, windows 10, from my current 500GB SSD to my new 1TB SSD. I still have the orginal Windows 10 USB Flash AND the key code provided to me...
  7. Moving windows 10 to new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving windows 10 to new SSD: Hello! I recently bought a new Samsung 1 TB SSD for my computer, mainly for more storage but also for a faster boot up. I want to move my OS, windows 10, from my current 500GB SSD to my new 1TB SSD. I still have the orginal Windows 10 USB Flash AND the key code provided to me...
  8. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD: Hello. Yesterday I purchased a brand new Samsung M.2 SSD, after installing and formatting it, I realized that I needed to move my install of Windows10 to it. I was looking for answers on here and the only post I could find with the same topic was one from 2017....
  9. Move win 10 from 1 ssd to new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move win 10 from 1 ssd to new ssd: Used Minitool to copy old ssd entirely to new ssd. Missing boot manager and bcd files. Copied from old to new. No joy? 18432
  10. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD: So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception to the HDD I will still be using alongside a new SSD. When reading up on how to transfer my copy of Windows 10 to my new SDD...