Windows 10: Move Windows 10 HD to a new computer

Discus and support Move Windows 10 HD to a new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - If I remember correctly, Windows 10 Product Key (or license) is based on a hardware ID of some sort. If I have a working Windows 10 on a HDD (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roxie2401, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Roxie2401 Win User

Move Windows 10 HD to a new computer

Hi - If I remember correctly, Windows 10 Product Key (or license) is based on a hardware ID of some sort. If I have a working Windows 10 on a HDD (or SSD), and I'm ready to junk that computer and want to move that "licensed" version of Windows 10 and the HDD to a new machine, how does Microsoft deal with the hardware ID since the ID is based on the old hardware and not the new?

Thanks

:)

Roxie2401, Jan 27, 2016
  2. DONALDSIX Win User

MOVING FILES

HOW DO YOU MOVE ALL HD INFO FROM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW IN WINDOWS 10

DONALDSIX, Jan 27, 2016
  3. DukerDog Win User
    Move windows 10 to a new computer

I believe I had an OEM windows 7/8 and then did the free upgrade. Is there a way besides remembering that I can tell?

Thanks

DukerDog, Jan 27, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

It depends on how you got to Windows 10. If original licence was retail, or you have a retail 10 key, you can reinstall 10 on new pc and reactivate using 7/8 or 10 key as appropriate. If original licence was oem, or you have a 10 oem licence, you are not permitted to transfer licence to new mobo/pc. This is nothing new.

It is unclear if you can transfer an upgraded licence (even if original was retail) after initial free year, free of charge, even if originaloy upgraded in the free period. MS have yet to clarify this although EULA indicates it is allowed (Section 4b if interested).

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
  5. Roxie2401 Win User
    Hi - it was a Windows 7 (OEM) upgraded to Windows 10 during the "free" upgrade period. So, the license (on the cabinet sticker) is for Windows 7 on the old/junked machine. So, I suspect that's where the hardware ID was obtained.

Roxie2401, Jan 27, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You are legally required to buy a new licence.

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
  7. Roxie2401 Win User
    Not sure I understand - if I bought the license for Windows 7 (and have the original Microsoft disks, and the license key, which just happens to match the sticker on the old tower), are you saying that I could not have uninstalled from the old machine and reinstalled on the new machine and then upgraded to Windows 10?

I didn't think Windows 7 was tied to hardware but to the license and product key on the disk.

Roxie2401, Jan 27, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Not true - oem licences were only ever allowed to be installed on one pc only (special exception for Windows 8.0 taken away again at 8.1 when MS realised the implications). See section 4b.

Run showkeyplus and it will say if your key is retail or oem. Usually oem if blue coa sticker but not always eg if you bought it separately and put sticker on pc yourself.

4. Transfer.
    The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
  9. Roxie2401 Win User
    Thanks! Does "showkeyplus" still work on Windows 10? Is it run from the CMD line?

Roxie2401, Jan 27, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    You got a no deal situation - OEM upgrade.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
Thema:

1. Move Windows 10 HD to a new computer - Similar Threads - Move computer

2. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  3. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  4. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer: Hi all - Attempting to get support from Microsoft however no response thus far. I have windows 10 on my previous computer and just finished building my new one. I downloaded windows 10 on my new PC, a few days later the update to windows 11 occured, however it is not...
  6. Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer

Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer: Hi all - Attempting to get support from Microsoft however no response thus far. I have windows 10 on my previous computer and just finished building my new one. I downloaded windows 10 on my new PC, a few days later the update to windows 11 occured, however it is not...
  7. Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another: To explain briefly the process i´ve been following, i changed an old computer´s hdd to a new ssd, then i tried to move all the personal files from the hdd to the new sdd connecting the old hdd to another computer and transfering the files over ftp to the computer with the new...
  8. Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another: To explain briefly the process i´ve been following, i changed an old computer´s hdd to a new ssd, then i tried to move all the personal files from the hdd to the new sdd connecting the old hdd to another computer and transfering the files over ftp to the computer with the new...
  9. Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another

10. How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?

How do I move a Windows 10/11 license to a new computer?: What I want to do:Move a Windows 10/11 license from one computer hosted at DataMart to their new data center?Situation:I have a dedicated PC hosted at DataMart running Windows 10/11 Retail, 512GB SSD system drive, and 6TB HDD data drive used for intermediate backups using...