Windows 10: Move Windows 10 installation to a new drive on a 10 year-old computer

Discus and support Move Windows 10 installation to a new drive on a 10 year-old computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've read the instructions for creating media installation. I've also read a few of the posts about people going from HDD to SSD. Still, I don't feel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MMMSobo, Jul 17, 2020.

1. MMMSobo Win User

Move Windows 10 installation to a new drive on a 10 year-old computer

I've read the instructions for creating media installation. I've also read a few of the posts about people going from HDD to SSD. Still, I don't feel confident and don't want to mess things up. Here's my situation.

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 that I purchased in 2010. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English installed. I upgraded it when Windows 10 came out and it's now running Windows 10 Home, 64-bit. I do not have a Windows key for the Windows 10 version, but it sounds like I don't need it because it will be there digitally in the installation media.

My C drive is a 1 TB drive, but I want to replace it with the 500 GB drive that is installed as a backup drive. I know, that seems backwards, but I eventually want to move that 1 TB drive into a case and use it to do offline backups of photos.

I used the creation tool to create installation media on a DVD I'm burning the DVD now.

I'm confused about the next steps. As I said, I have a C drive currently running the OS and a D drive empty, but not re-formatted and a DVD for installing Windows 10.

1 Do I need to remove the current C drive and move the 500 GB drive into its slot BEFORE I try installing Windows? I'm thinking yes, but I want to confirm.

2 Should I reformat that 500 GB drive before I attempt this, or is it okay to just move it into the C drive slot and start the install?

3 In earlier posts, some people said that when they tried to boot the computer with the DVD in the drive, the computer just hung. Do I need to press a certain function key while I'm booting, or is this a problem only for certain computers or something that no longer happens?

4 If the computer just hangs, what should I do?

Thanks for your help.

MMM

:)

MMMSobo, Jul 17, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jul 17, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Move Windows 10 installation to a new drive on a 10 year-old computer - Similar Threads - Move installation drive

2. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer: Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips,...
  3. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer: Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips,...
  4. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Old computer, installed new ram and SSD and windows 10 to give it a boost for a year or two...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old computer, installed new ram and SSD and windows 10 to give it a boost for a year or two...: Im not a tech guy and know just enough to get by with simple trouble shooting, but im new to windows 10 and this new error has me stumped. New install on a new hard drive of an old computer, and I keep getting "kmode not handled" and blue screen restart. I though it was my...
  6. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  7. Can this Windows 10 Install be Moved to a New Computer?

Can this Windows 10 Install be Moved to a New Computer?: I think I can transfer my Win 10 Pro from an old computer to a new Intel NUC that I plan to purchase. This started out as a Windows 7 install that was updated / upgraded continuously as new versions came out. See the attached results from running slmgr.vbs/dlv in PowerShell....
  8. Move data drive from old computer into new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...
  9. Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10

Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10: My old computer with windows 10 installed with a 1tb SSD the old computer has failed but the hard dive is still working, my question is how do I install the old SSD hard drive with windows10 installed on it to my new computer? The new computer is almost the same as the old...
  10. Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer

Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer: Hey everyone, So this weekend I will be building my first PC by myself after my old computer died. On my old computer I had Windows 10 installed on a M.2.. I'm wondering if its possible to just take that M.2 and put it in my new PC and have Windows 10 just transfer over?...