Windows 10: Move Windows 10 license to a new PC via the email acount

Discus and support Move Windows 10 license to a new PC via the email acount in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I used to have a Windows 7 Pro license from my university, which allowed me to move the license to a new PC if I wanted to (I have used it on m... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ciaoant1, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Move Windows 10 license to a new PC via the email acount

Hello,

I used to have a Windows 7 Pro license from my university, which allowed me to move the license to a new PC if I wanted to (I have used it on m old PC, and then I used it on a new PC without any problems).

Then, a few years ago, I upgraded this new PC from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

On this Windows 10 installation, I created a "local" Windows user that I use as a "primary" account, but I also created a secondary Microsoft account, in order to link this Windows 10 license to a Microsoft email address that I have.

Now, I am about to upgrade to a new PC, and I was wondering how to move this license to the new PC:

I still have my old Windows 7 license key written down somewhere, but I am not sure if I can just type it in, and expect it to work. This is why I had created the Microsoft account, in order to create the same Microsoft account (with the same Microsoft email) on the new PC, and hopefully it will move the license as well.

Before I do that, maybe I should follow these instructions, according to which I am supposed to deactivate my existing license first, before trying to move it:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

However, the procedure described in the link above is when you have the license key, which I am not sure is the same between the Windows 7 key that I had, and the Windows 10 key that was created (?) when I upgraded the operating system.

I could use the Microsoft account, but should I deactivate the key first, like the guide says, or will that deactivate the link between the microsoft account and the key, causing harm instead of good?

Thank you,

submitted by /u/ciaoant1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ciaoant1, Aug 9, 2020
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 9, 2020
  4. krimetal Win User

Move Windows 10 license to a new PC via the email acount

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Move Windows 10 license to a new PC via the email acount

1. Move Windows 10 license to a new PC via the email acount - Similar Threads - Move license via

2. Cant move digital license to new pc.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant move digital license to new pc.: I had digitial license for windows 10 from 2014, connected to my microsoft account.I bought new computer not changing the old pc, so i wanted to move digitial license.As it was written in different manuals to prevent errors on old pc, today i deleted old device in my...
  3. Cant move digital license to new pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant move digital license to new pc.: I had digitial license for windows 10 from 2014, connected to my microsoft account.I bought new computer not changing the old pc, so i wanted to move digitial license.As it was written in different manuals to prevent errors on old pc, today i deleted old device in my...
  4. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  5. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware: I have Windows 10 Home running on an ancient PC that I decided to upgrade Windows did not come pre-installed, it was an upgrade from Windows 7 that I had purchased. I installed Windows 10 onto the new hardware as a fresh install. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't accept...
  6. Moving Windows 10 license to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Move Windows 10 PRO license to new PC

Move Windows 10 PRO license to new PC: I am in the process of decommissioning my old PC where I had Windows 10 PRO upgraded from Windows 8 Enterprise- I had purchased. I do not have the License key from Windows 8 Days. If I get the license key from my current PC using one of many VBS scripts available in online...
  8. Moving oem license to new PC

Moving oem license to new PC: Hello, 2 or 3 years ago I bought pc parts, built a pc out of them. Back then I got Windows 10 home OEM license from the retailer who told me that for personal OEM license I am entitled to deactivate it from original device and activate it on new one when I decide to build...
  9. Moving Windows License to a new PC

Moving Windows License to a new PC: Hello, Soon I will have a new PC which is custom built, so Windows will not be pre-activated. Is there any way I can transfer the license from my current PC to the new PC? I do not have a product key and I do not wish to re-purchase Windows 10 again unnecessarily....
  10. moving windows license from old pc to new pc

moving windows license from old pc to new pc: Hi, I purchased a dell PC (not windows 10 pro), and then updated it Windows 10 pro. I queried the machine to get my activation code I uninstalled the windows license from the dell, with success, How do I upgrade my surface pro 6 (just purchased) from windows home to that...