Windows 10: Move Windows 10 to new SSD/PCIe card

Discus and support Move Windows 10 to new SSD/PCIe card in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have been googling this topic and it always seems to lead to getting some 3rd party cloning software or doing a re-install. I never see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by skunkboat, Sep 22, 2019.

1. skunkboat Win User

Move Windows 10 to new SSD/PCIe card

Hello,

I have been googling this topic and it always seems to lead to getting some 3rd party cloning software or doing a re-install.

I never see microsoft.com answers.

Is there a way within Windows 10 to move the OS to another disk? or copy the existing C drive to a new drive and re-label it C?

Thanks in advance for replies.

skunkboat

:)

skunkboat, Sep 22, 2019

2. Alienware 17 R3 PCIE SSD Problems

There's a possibility that the slot where you inserted the new PCIE SSD isn't recognizing it, reason for it not to show in Device Manager. If there's another slot on the motherboard of your computer, we suggest that you reseat the PCIE card. There could
    also a setting in BIOS that needs to be checked for the new PCIE card to be recognized. It would be best to seek assistance with the manufacturer of your device when it comes to hardware. However, we're just here should you need further assistance.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Sep 22, 2019
  3. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 22, 2019
  4. Move Windows 10 to new SSD/PCIe card

(Very) slow boot - Windows 10 on a PCIe Toshiba SSD - Xiaomi Notebook Air

Hi Andi,

The challenge that you are experiencing can occur due to several reasons, such as, incorrect configuration of the BIOS. To better assist you with your concern, kindly answer the following questions below:

• What are the troubleshooting steps that you have tried so far?
    • Were you able to configure the BIOS of your motherboard in order for the
      PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express) SSD
      to work properly as a primary booting device? Kindly provide us the steps you took in configuring your
      PCIe SSD.

Also, kindly provide us the specs of your Xiaomi Notebook.

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

Move Windows 10 to new SSD/PCIe card

1. Move Windows 10 to new SSD/PCIe card - Similar Threads - Move SSD PCIe

2. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  3. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  4. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  5. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Moving windows 10 to new SSD

Moving windows 10 to new SSD: Hello! I recently bought a new Samsung 1 TB SSD for my computer, mainly for more storage but also for a faster boot up. I want to move my OS, windows 10, from my current 500GB SSD to my new 1TB SSD. I still have the orginal Windows 10 USB Flash AND the key code provided to me...
  7. Moving windows 10 to new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving windows 10 to new SSD: Hello! I recently bought a new Samsung 1 TB SSD for my computer, mainly for more storage but also for a faster boot up. I want to move my OS, windows 10, from my current 500GB SSD to my new 1TB SSD. I still have the orginal Windows 10 USB Flash AND the key code provided to me...
  8. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD: Hello. Yesterday I purchased a brand new Samsung M.2 SSD, after installing and formatting it, I realized that I needed to move my install of Windows10 to it. I was looking for answers on here and the only post I could find with the same topic was one from 2017....
  9. new m.2 pcie ssd

new m.2 pcie ssd: I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to leave in the old drive so as I can boot into the new drive? 54011
  10. Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD: So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception to the HDD I will still be using alongside a new SSD. When reading up on how to transfer my copy of Windows 10 to my new SDD...