Windows 10: Move Windows 10 to SSD

Discus and support Move Windows 10 to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The C: drive on my computer is a HDD running Windows 10 Pro. I'm planning to install a SSD and make it my C: drive. Can I transfer my system to the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Acadian, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Acadian Win User

Move Windows 10 to SSD

The C: drive on my computer is a HDD running Windows 10 Pro. I'm planning to install a SSD and make it my C: drive. Can I transfer my system to the SSD by doing a system image on my HHD and restoring the image to the SSD? Does anyone fresee any problems that I might have so I can prepare for them?

Thanks,

Joe LaPointe

:)

Acadian, Apr 14, 2016

2. Move Windows 10 from a small SSD to larger SSD

Very helpful, Andre. Thanks!

I'll post back after I get this to work.

Lee Batchelor, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 14, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Move Windows 10 to SSD

That is exactly what you should do.

I use Acronis True Image for the task but you can use Macrium Reflect, among others as well.
    After restoring the image to the SSD, remove the original drive before you boot into Windows 10.
    You can add the drive later as long as you set the BIOS to boot from the SSD.

Is your system currently set to AHCI?

pbcopter, Apr 14, 2016
  5. Acadian Win User
    Why do you suggest that I use either Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect to create and restore the image? Can't I use the Windows 10 built in create a system image then use a repair disk to restore the system image to the SSD?

Acadian, Apr 14, 2016
  6. pbcopter Win User
    Yes you can do that but many have expressed that it was less than user friendly doing it. I have always found the other programs more "friendly".

pbcopter, Apr 14, 2016
  7. Acadian Win User
    pbcopter,

Thanks for your support!!

Acadian, Apr 14, 2016
  8. pbcopter Win User

Move Windows 10 to SSD

You're welcome, anytime.

pbcopter, Apr 14, 2016
  9. CmmTch Win User
    Acadian, I have used the "built in" backup/image for the exact thing you are doing and haven't had a problem. I've done it this way twice, first when I moved from a spinner (Win7) to a 64G SSD, then when I moved from that (W10) to a Samsung 128G EVO. Actually I've done it three times, put an SSD in my wife's laptop too, so twice on Win7 and once on W10.

The biggest thing is to remove all drives except the backup/image source drive and the drive you're installing the backup/image on, I booted with install media (W10 iso on a USB) and had it use the backup/image from my backup drive. You may have to run repair to get the new SSD to boot. I've found the Windows backup/image restore works fine for what I've used it for.

There are quite a few members that prefer either of the two programs mentioned, Acronis or Macrium, I haven't used them since Windows has that restore from backup/image function and it's worked fine for me. I also have a backup drive that I have a backup/image scheduled to run every Sunday at 7:00pm. It's saved me a couple times, takes about 20 to 30 minutes to restore from the backup/image.

CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Move Windows 10 to SSD

1. Move Windows 10 to SSD - Similar Threads - Move SSD

2. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  3. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  4. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  6. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  7. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

8. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  9. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  10. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i move my hdd with windows10 from a computer that not works to a different computer?