Windows 10: Move windows from old SSD to new.

Discus and support Move windows from old SSD to new. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have bought a new SSD and I want my windows located in it. I have 2 SSD's in my pc and I want to swap my small one for the new. The thing is I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/glidzz, Dec 13, 2020.

1. /u/glidzz Win User

Move windows from old SSD to new.

I have bought a new SSD and I want my windows located in it. I have 2 SSD's in my pc and I want to swap my small one for the new. The thing is I have windows in the small one and the other SSD cannot fit windows, so I don't know how to move windows to an SSD that is not inside my pc. Should I use a USB for the swap or how do I do it?

submitted by /u/glidzz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/glidzz, Dec 13, 2020

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Dec 13, 2020
  3. Old SSD to new computer

I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer.
    When I hook up the old SSD windows will not start and goes to blue screen with options to recover, use different version of windows, etc. As soon as I disconnect it, windows boots right up again. How do I format the old one to get windows off of it to use
    it as storage?

SOTF KrameR, Dec 13, 2020
  4. Move windows from old SSD to new.

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

Move windows from old SSD to new.

1. Move windows from old SSD to new. - Similar Threads - Move old SSD

2. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  3. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  4. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  5. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  6. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. SSD Moved from old to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SSD Moved from old to new PC: Hello, I recently built a new computer and moved my SSD that contained my windows install from the old to the new computer. Everything boots fine, but I'm getting the notifications that my copy of windows is not genuine and that I need to provide a windows key. I never had to...
  8. Moving SSD with Windows 10 from old pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving SSD with Windows 10 from old pc to new pc: Hi everyone! I have an SSD with Windows 10 on it in my old computer and I'm now building a new computer. If I move the SSD from the old pc to the new one, what kind of magic should I do in order to make Windows 10 work on the new set up? I hope I explained it decently....
  9. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one: Hi, I currently have a SSD with Windows 10 in my old laptop which I would like to move to a new laptop which has Windows 10 Installed on a PCIe NVME SSD. I've already checked and there is room in my new laptop to install my old SSD in. Is it possible to do this so that...
  10. Move SSD with windows 10 from old to new desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move SSD with windows 10 from old to new desktop: Hello, This past weekend I upgraded my 2013 Dell desktop from windows 7 to 10, after seeing the windows 7 warning messages. A few years before that I bought a Samsung 250GB SSD and used their software to transfer the image of the Dell HDD to the Samsung SSD. WIndows 10 is...