Windows 10: Move Windows OS to Mac

Discus and support Move Windows OS to Mac in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I had Windows 7 on my HP laptop and then upgraded to Windows 10 and as the laptop is getting old I would be buying a Macbook Pro to replace it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Learner, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Learner Win User

Move Windows OS to Mac

Hi,

I had Windows 7 on my HP laptop and then upgraded to Windows 10 and as the laptop is getting old I would be buying a Macbook Pro to replace it and just wondering as how I can move my Windows 10 OS to Mac and create a dual boot OS on Mac.

Appreciate your detailed response. Thanks much in advance.

Regards

:)

Learner, Sep 27, 2016
  2. TimStone Win User

Cortana, iPhone and Text messaging

A Mac with Parallels solves all your problems:

+ Excellent hardware

+ Outstanding support ( Mac and Parallels )

+ Full messaging, email, and other services support

+ Full windows 10, plus full Mac OS, capabilities

+ Mac and Windows programs run side by side

After 36 years of pure MSFT OS, I made the move over the last 18 months with absolutely no regrets.

TimStone, Sep 27, 2016
  3. newt124 Win User
    N9 PR1.3 USB issue

Computer no longer sees N9 when plugged into USB.

MAC OS 10.7.4, VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 running Win 7 Pro.. same environment as with PR1.2

With PR1.2, when I plugged in the N9, MAC OS saw it, Fusion took it and passed it over to Windows. Now with 1.3 the Mac doesn't even see the N9. The battery is shown charging, but no data moving. I've tried Sync mode under USB as well as Mass storage
    and SDK modes. Still not seen by MAC OS.

Suggestions?

newt124, Sep 27, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Move Windows OS to Mac

If the version of Windows 7 that came with the HP laptop was the usual OEM type, its license is not transferable to another PC. (It may not be an issue with the license agreement. If it uses a special installer that matches that laptop, you couldn't activate Windows on another make of laptop.) The Windows 10 "digital entitlement" also would only work on the old hardware.

If you know that your Windows 7 license was retail (unlikely), let us know.

bobkn, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    You can't actually 'move' Windows to a Mac, need a software such as Bootcamp [may have come with your Mac], VMWare Fusion or Parallels [may be others 'out there'] installed to give a virtual machine then install Windows in it. As far as I've read it works best with the newer Macs that use the Intel CPU, maybe last dozen years or so. Mine is a MacBook Pro from Mid-2010. When you get one click the Apple at top left corner to see About and some other things.

Berton, Sep 28, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Why may I ask. If I need Windows, I can just grab my wife's laptop or use a spare desktop that I have.

I have a Macbook Air and it is strictly Mac OS, Zero Microsoft stuff on it. Now if you are wanting to work on the Macbook with Windows 7. You will need to get a copy of Windows 7 OEM. You are looking at around $140, regardless if it is just the license or the media and license.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Learner Win User
    Thanks much for your responses. My HP laptop is from 2008 which came with Vista and I bought Windows 7 on a CD which I don't know if it's a OEM or not and I still have that CD somewhere so can always check. Now that my HP is at the end of its life I wanted to replace it. I'm just tired of Windows constant updates and issues I have decided to go for a MacBook Pro in Oct 2016 once the newer version comes out. I have one order processing program which runs on only Windows and doesn't run on Mac and also this program works in conjunction wit MS Outlook so I just cannot escape Windows completely and hence the need to have Windows on Mac.

Looked at Parallels and they are good with Windows 8.1 but there is no mention of 10. Even Windows emulation software would do too.

Learner, Sep 28, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Move Windows OS to Mac

If you need Outlook check out Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac. Office 2008 is okay but the E-Mail program in it is called Entourage, haven't tried it yet. When I got my Mac I did get Office 2008 with it but there was an offer for the a Upgrade to Office 2011 Home and Student but Outlook isn't included, would need the better version.
    Get started with Office for Mac 2011 - Office Support

Berton, Sep 28, 2016
  9. Learner Win User
    Thanks Berton. My main software is the Order Processing software which would work only on Windows. Outlook is needed this software. I already have Windows 2013 bought sometime back. With or without Outlook I still need Windows for my Order Processing software.

Learner, Sep 28, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    I moved my Windows license from a Lenovo laptop to MacBook Pro. I had 7 Pro OEM license and upgraded it to 8 which turned it into retail.

I could then phone the activation number and they transferred it for me (I said I wasn't using the old laptop any more which was true).

What I'm not sure about is what you mean by "move". You may or may not be able to transfer your license (depending on your exact situation). Try it and see.

If you want to move your installation of Windows to MBP without re-installing everything it is kind of easy.

1. On MBP create bootcamp partition and save bootcamp drivers to USB. Just follow the Bootcamp wizard.
    2. Install any version of Windows on MBP and don't worry about activation or anything. This will set up the partitions you need.
    3. On old PC install the keyboard driver from bootcamp (un-zip it and just run DPInst.exe from AppleKeyboardInstaller64. You need to do this as otherwise you'll not be able to sign on as there is no delete key and maybe your keyboard will not work at all.
    4. On old PC image C:\ drive with Macrium to an external USB drive and also make a Macrium boot USB
    5. Boot from Macrium boot USB on MBP (hold down alt key when starting up).
    6. Restore your C:\ volume from your backup to your MBP
    7. Unplug everything and boot Windows on MBP. The devices will mostly be found.
    8. Boot into Windows on MBP and install all of bootcamp drivers from USB by clicking on Bootcamp.exe (this will pick up your wireless, camera, SD card etc drivers)
    9. Phone MS and deal with any license issues.

11. Learner Win User
    Thanks very much for the detail lx07. Will try this.

Learner, Sep 28, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    If you aren't planning to use MacOS at all then you can clean install. I keep 20GB assigned though and dual boot as you can only get firmware updates through MacOS and also the battery lasts longer than under Windows so it is nice to have if you are on a plane or something without a power supply.

Let us know if you get stuck but it should not be a problem.

13. Learner Win User

Move Windows OS to Mac

My main reason to go towards Mac is to get away from Windows issues so will start using Mac and get well acquainted with the OS and use Windows exclusively for my order processing software and MS office. If I follow your method of using bootcamp I would be creating a dual boot system, right? I heard that we can have Windows installed using Parallels or VM Fusion so that we can concurrently work in Apple OS and Windows OS and could even transfer files between the 2 OSs. Is it true? If so how to accomplish that? Thanks a lot in advance.

Learner, Sep 28, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Learner be aware that with Sierra still having Beta's rolled out, I would make sure that Bootcamp is going to work for you. Also the drive space is going to suffer if you either do not get the internal M.2 upgraded to a larger one or make 10 a very slim install. As for Parallels, there have been some problems with 10 and El Capitan. I would expect the same with Sierra.

2008 is pretty good for a laptop in this day and age. On the humor side. I actually have a 21 year old Toshiba Satellite downstairs that is running Puppy Linux and still going strong.

Make sure that you keep a image of the drive in case 10 pukes on you or causes Sierra to stop booting up.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Sep 28, 2016
Thema:

Move Windows OS to Mac

1. Move Windows OS to Mac - Similar Threads - Move Mac

2. Moving Mac format files from external hard drive to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Mac format files from external hard drive to Windows 11: I'm looking for a way to retrieve my Mac photos on my external hard drive to my new Windows 11 pc.I have 9,000 plus photos . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-mac-format-files-from-external-hard-drive/742d0293-3abf-4c53-bbe5-fb871ca58d8a
  3. Moving Mac format files from external hard drive to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Mac format files from external hard drive to Windows 11: I'm looking for a way to retrieve my Mac photos on my external hard drive to my new Windows 11 pc.I have 9,000 plus photos . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-mac-format-files-from-external-hard-drive/742d0293-3abf-4c53-bbe5-fb871ca58d8a
  4. Moved from Mac to Windows - any advice for these problems?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moved from Mac to Windows - any advice for these problems?: Hi all. Recently - and somewhat reluctantly - moved from a 2012 non retina Macbook Pro (old i7, 8gb RAM) to Windows as a career shift meant I needed to us Windows software which didn't work well under Boot Camp. New laptop is much better spec'd than the Mac - Lenovo P1 gen...
  5. How to move Mac Os onto external drive for Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to move Mac Os onto external drive for Windows?: So I have a MacBook pro 2019 and I have recently partitioned my mac using bootcamp to have windows and mac os on the same internal drive. I would like to mainly use windows and get rid of the space that the macos takes up on the internal drive. I was wondering how can I...
  6. moving from ancient mac os to windows10

moving from ancient mac os to windows10: hello everybody, moving from mac os 10.9 to win10. i work on pro tools, that's why i was forever in that same old, reliable mac. but i needed to upgrade, and apple doesn't suit my needs anymore -- i think a lot of media professionals are migrating from mac to windows...
  7. Finding a replacement to Google Picasa while moving my pics from a Mac to a PC

Finding a replacement to Google Picasa while moving my pics from a Mac to a PC: I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I still use Picasa to view most of my pics. Back when it was still being supported, I spent a lot of time tagging my favorite images with stars, and building albums. And I also spent a lot of time tagging faces. Well, it's time to move on....
  8. Moving from Mac to Windows. Need help!

Moving from Mac to Windows. Need help!: Hello, I'm moving from Mac to Windows, but I can't sync my passwords from Keychain to Windows machine. I've tried syncing passwords from Safari to Chrome / Firefox, but still…Nothing. How do I do it? Thank you submitted by /u/NotaChineseplushie [link] [comments]...
  9. Move license from bootcamp partition on mac which got deleted?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move license from bootcamp partition on mac which got deleted?: So long story short, I deleted my MacOS partition while using windows 10 on my mac via bootcamp. I had to wipe entire drive and install MacOS again. So I lost bootcamp partition too. My question is, can I transfer that license to a windows 10 VM? I'm using parallels desktop....
  10. Moved from Mac to Win 10. Any clever ideas to deal with lack of iMessages app?

Moved from Mac to Win 10. Any clever ideas to deal with lack of iMessages app?: Hi all. I recently gave up on Apple laptops and I'm very happy so far with my Windows 10 laptop. With a Mac, it was super handy to have the Apple iMessages app on my laptop. Like if I'm browsing on my laptop and want to copy and paste a link to a friend via iMessages. Or if I...