Windows 10: Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive

Discus and support Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Running wsus on Win 2012 R2, would like to know how we can move wsus database WID from root partition to another partition on the same server as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mohammed Furqan Khan, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive

Hi,

Running wsus on Win 2012 R2, would like to know how we can move wsus database WID from root partition to another partition on the same server as its consuming lot of space on the root partition.

Please suggest how this can be achieved.

:)

Mohammed Furqan Khan, Jun 27, 2020
  2. sy5tem Win User

The WSUS support thread

update on my install, i ad everything working inside a VM with 2 disk , when i moved it to the local vm machine WSUS would not work anymore , something do to with database error, sadly have not found a way to tell WSUS where the database is ....
    on the new machine its still in the root of d:\ this as not changed so i don't know why WSUS can't connect to his database *Frown Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive :(

sy5tem, Jun 27, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Jun 27, 2020
  4. qubit Win User

Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive

The WSUS support thread

I'll see if I can look at my setup later and help you out. *Smile Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive :) It should be possible to go into the WSUS configuration panel and change the database that it connects to. I can't remember off the top of my head.

In the meantime, you might want to look at the Microsoft manual that I pointed to in my OP, for a faster resolution.

EDIT: I looked at the WSUS configuration (Options) window, but there doesn't seem to be a way of changing the database connection there. It might be a case of having to reinstall it each time, or doing it a different way. More digging is going to be required. *Smile Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive :)

qubit, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive

1. Move WSUS database from root partition to another drive - Similar Threads - Move WSUS database

2. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  3. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  4. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Move the boot partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move the boot partition to another drive?: My situation is as follows: My Desktop has 2 different SSDs: First has a WS19 install and the boot partition, Second has only the Windows 10 partition. I want to delete the WS19 partition and move W10 into its place. Am I right, that I have to keep the original boot...
  6. Moving boot partition to another drive

Moving boot partition to another drive: I've found very mixed things about this, most making it seem too difficult to be worthwhile. I have Windows 10 dual booting with OSX, and for some reason, Windows put its bootloader on my HDD which I use solely for backup purposes. Windows itself is installed to its own SSD....
  7. Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move space from one partition to another (same physical drive): Is this possible without third-party software? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it with disk management, I shrink the volume I want to take space from but then the "expand volume" option is greyed out when I right click on the partition I want to move that free...
  8. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?: Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and...
  9. Moving the System partition from one disk to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the System partition from one disk to another: Hello everybody, I'm having an issue with the setup of my Windows 10 computer. I'm pretty lost right now. A few months ago, I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 in disk 0 (SSD). Because I had several work files, during installation I've maintained an old disk also...
  10. making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive

in Windows 10 Support
    making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive: My "media" collection of photos and music occupies a total of 1.1 TB. On my desktop system, no problem, with a 4 TB HDD. On my laptop, where I like to duplicate this collection for my business trips, I can devote only 200 GB on the laptop's internal SSD. I have to keep the...