Windows 10: Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake

Discus and support Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello So my friend tried the location of the personal folders like document and downloads, etc, but the whole thing got messed up and everything was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Andrew00, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Andrew00 Win User

Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake

Hello
    So my friend tried the location of the personal folders like document and downloads, etc, but the whole thing got messed up and everything was named documents. And the real personal folders were redirected to the Public folder and not the original user one. So I played around with the bat files and it seems like everything went back except for like an icon and two. Except that when I write "shell:desktop" it redirects me to the desktop in the Public folder. So when I make a new file or folder it shows up in both desktops in both profiles. Any help ? Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake :)
    P.S
    Thanks for the bat files

:)

Andrew00, Sep 28, 2020

2. Desktop folder moved

I moved my desktop folder to my dropbox but by mistake I did not move it to a folder within dropbox. How do I create it back on my user's folders?

ArieCarasso-Lev, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Public Desktop Folder Name

"Under users\Public Folder I have a folder with the name of : "Desktop"

Should that Be "Public Desktop"?

In the Desktop folder there is a "Desktop.ini" file which contains:

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

I looked up 21799 in a program and it says Shell32.dll gives "Public Desktop"

Should I be seeing "Public Desktop" or "Desktop"?

CalGeorge1, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake

Pictures Folder was renamed to Public Desktop

I had something similar. I created a "Desktop" folder on the Desktop itself to hold my mess of files and icons that accumulate on my Desktop over time. Apparently, I had moved a desktop.ini file into my "Desktop" folder which caused my "Desktop" folder
    to automatically rename itself to "Public Desktop". That messed up the path for all of my recent files and caused a huge headache.

Solution: I went into "Public Desktop" and deleted the desktop.ini file. Once that was done, I renamed "Public Desktop" back to "Desktop" and all was well with the world again.

Hope that helps whoever reads this.

mustang025, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake

1. Moved Desktop folder merged with Public Desktop folder by mistake - Similar Threads - Moved Desktop folder

2. I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder: I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-desktop-folder-and-documents/9862aa67-ad5c-424f-8f09-e2bafd10fb7e
  3. I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder: I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-desktop-folder-and-documents/9862aa67-ad5c-424f-8f09-e2bafd10fb7e
  4. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  5. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  6. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

7. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  8. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  9. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

10. Public Desktop Folder Name

Public Desktop Folder Name: "Under users\Public Folder I have a folder with the name of : "Desktop" Should that Be "Public Desktop"? In the Desktop folder there is a "Desktop.ini" file which contains: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799 I looked up...