Windows 10: Moved drive to another computer - won't boot

Discus and support Moved drive to another computer - won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I am trying to move a drive with Windows 10 Pro x86 from a dell 755 to a 7010. Win10 boots fine when I put it in a 745, 755, or 780, but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dcol, May 4, 2017.

1. dcol Win User

Moved drive to another computer - won't boot

Hi all,
    I am trying to move a drive with Windows 10 Pro x86 from a dell 755 to a 7010. Win10 boots fine when I put it in a 745, 755, or 780, but not the 7010. The 7010 is set for Legacy ACHI. All I get is a blue logo and the spinning circle dots. Does the same in safe mode. There are no add-in cards or USB devices. I also tried the disk in an HP 6300, which has the same specs as the 7010, and it also does not boot. Tried start-up repair. Tried rebuilding BCD. Tried Reset PC - didn't run.

I am out of ideas. Anyone?

:)

dcol, May 4, 2017

2. Bitlocker Recovery Key won't unlock Windows Drive

My recovery key will unlock the drive if it starts up normally but my computer won't boot windows (Infinite boot loop) I went into advance recovery but the same recovery key won't unlock the drive to fix the boot loop I don't know how to fix this any help
    would be appreciated

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

<Moved from Windows Insider preview forums>

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

XxD3YHOT4xX, May 4, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Dell Backup and Recovery

Hello,

I removed the drive with my os on it, and booted it on another computer. When I plugged it into my original computer, it won't boot. I tested all my hardware and they all returned fine. When I try booting my computer, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair"
    and then it goes to "Dell Backup and Recovery."

I have two drives if that is important.

Rubbermonkeyz, May 4, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Did you originally do a UEFI install on the drive in question and what are the BIOS settings on the 745, 755, and 780 that work (UEFI or Legacy)?

5. dcol Win User
    Always been MBR Legacy ACHI. UEFI is not selected on the 7010, using legacy. the other systems are pre UEFI. The BIOS settings on the 745/755/780 are ACHI. My only thought is there is something different how a UEFI capable system boots even in Legacy mode. Also since I am using 32 bit OS, I have to use legacy. UEFI is not supported with 32 bit OS'es

I even installed a fresh Windows 10 Pro x86 on the 7010, then tried to replace the C drive partition with the original drives C partition. Still spinning circle.

dcol, May 4, 2017
  6. dcol Win User
    here's a twist. The drive will now boot if I unplug the DVD SATA drive. Happens with either HP 6300 or Dell 780 and 7010. I can leave the SATA port active, just pull the cable off the motherboard and then it boots. After I booted, I made sure all the drivers were current. Even tried the Rapid Storage driver but I don't think the system gets that far in the boot process.

Next step I did was to upgrade Windows 10. I started with version 1607. Plugged in the SATA cable, then did the update to 1703. System restarted and applied the update but still does not boot when it was finished with the update with the SATA cable plugged in. Had to shut down, pull the SATA cable then reboot and it came right up. Happens on multiple systems, so it isn't a hardware issue. Even tried different disk drives.

I even tried using an a PCIe SATA adapter (Marvell 91xx) and it does the same thing with the DVD plugged in. And yes I have tried different DVD/CDROM drives. One more thing. Works fine with a hard drive or SSD plugged into the motherboard SATA port, Just not with an optical drive.

The original Windows 10 image came from a Dell Optiplex 745.

UPDATE
    Problem solved. Had to fix the CDROM property class.
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Deleted the Upper and Lower filters and removed the additional cdrom drives.
    What I did was export the key from a working system and then Import the entire key into this one.
    Hope this helps any others who may run into this.

dcol, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Moved drive to another computer - won't boot - Similar Threads - Moved drive another

2. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  3. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  4. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  5. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Move drive with Windows to another computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move drive with Windows to another computer: If I move my SSD, with Windows OS on it, from one PC to another PC, will that other PC boot to windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-drive-with-windows-to-another-computer/ad052ecc-db9a-476c-be30-1d7808545802
  7. Move drive with Windows to another computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move drive with Windows to another computer: If I move my SSD, with Windows OS on it, from one PC to another PC, will that other PC boot to windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-drive-with-windows-to-another-computer/ad052ecc-db9a-476c-be30-1d7808545802
  8. Move drive with Windows to another computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Move the boot partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move the boot partition to another drive?: My situation is as follows: My Desktop has 2 different SSDs: First has a WS19 install and the boot partition, Second has only the Windows 10 partition. I want to delete the WS19 partition and move W10 into its place. Am I right, that I have to keep the original boot...
  10. Moving boot partition to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving boot partition to another drive: I've found very mixed things about this, most making it seem too difficult to be worthwhile. I have Windows 10 dual booting with OSX, and for some reason, Windows put its bootloader on my HDD which I use solely for backup purposes. Windows itself is installed to its own SSD....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. moved harddrive to another computer and it wont boot