Windows 10: Moved large file to usb, pressed cancel and now everything is gone. *NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY*

Discus and support Moved large file to usb, pressed cancel and now everything is gone. *NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY* in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, so I was moving a very large file into my usb and it was working well so far until it reached a problem with something within the file pretty much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DubStepPup, May 8, 2019.

1. Moved large file to usb, pressed cancel and now everything is gone. *NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY*

Hi, so I was moving a very large file into my usb and it was working well so far until it reached a problem with something within the file pretty much saying "The name is too long" I only had two options to choose, skip or cancel. I clicked skip multiple times and it would not work then my dumb self pressed cancel. I checked the file in the usb and everything is gone. I never copied the file before moving the file to the usb.. Which I should've done. What can I do to recover all of my stuff back? I really need everything that was in that file back.

:)

DubStepPup, May 8, 2019
  2. DaveK Win User

Defrag: Move Large Files To End Of Drive?

Hey guys, I saw Defraggler has the option to move large files to the end of the drive, I picked movies (MKV/MP4 etc.)

Is it good to move these large files to the end of the drive? I'm assuming it's for less used files so it doesn't read them as fast or something?

Should I do this or just put it back to normal?

DaveK, May 8, 2019
  3. hdjx Win User
    files have gone

I MOVED a directory from one W2K PC to another. However, the target PC (which has a backup unit on it and thus the point of the move) crashed halfway through the move and I had to reboot. I then decided that I needed to sort out why the PC crashed and MOVED the directory back again.

However, in the process, most of the files have disappeared! What I don't understand is why the original files were deleted if they were not copied over.

As far as I can see, the files have gone for good. Is there any hope? Friend suggest Data Recovery Wizard, can I try that?

hdjx, May 8, 2019
  4. Moved large file to usb, pressed cancel and now everything is gone. *NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY*

not a copy and move any file USB to laptop

Hello Jay,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you unable to copy or move files from USB drive to laptop?
    2. What is the complete error message you see on your computer incase if you’re trying to move files?
    3. Were there any changes made on your computer prior to this issues?
    4. What is the make and model number of USB and computer?
    5. Is the USB drive detected in Windows PC?

However, if you’re referring to transferring files from USB to laptop, follow the steps as mentioned below.

1. Insert your USB device into your computer.
    2. Open ‘Windows Explorer’ and select 'This PC'.
    3. You should see your USB device represented as a drive letter (e.g.: D: or E: etc.)
    4. Locate your USB device and double click it to
      view the contents.
    5. If your photos are organized into folders already, and/or you can see the
      folders or files you want, proceed to the next step. If your photos are not organized or the photos are visible, you will need to browse the folders until you find them.
    6. Once you can see your
      files, photos or folders
      select everything by clicking on the 'Home' tab in Windows Explorer and selecting the 'Select All'
      option.
    7. With everything you want to import selected all the files, then click the 'Home' tab in Windows Explorer and select either
      'Move to' or 'Copy’.
    8. Select a destination folder in the list or select the
      'Choose location' option at the bottom and navigate to where you want to move or copy the images to.
    9. Wait for the move or copy process to finish.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes or No’.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, May 8, 2019
Thema:

Moved large file to usb, pressed cancel and now everything is gone. *NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY*

1. Moved large file to usb, pressed cancel and now everything is gone. *NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY* - Similar Threads - Moved large file

2. I need help immediately

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I need help immediately: I was convinced to reset my PC without saving anything. It finished but I cant open any windows apps like calculator or anything. I found out that I cant open MS Store as well. I need to deal with all the apps needed on my PC but I cant start since Store is not working....
  3. A large amount of Files gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A large amount of Files gone: So I just booted my PC one day like normal when all of a sudden a MASSIVE amount of my files have gone missing along with programs and my wallpaper.Please someone help me I don't want to redownload everything and I also don't want to be missing numerous files that are...
  4. Need immediate help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need immediate help: Hello, when I was installing the newest update, as I was about the shut down my device, a new window has popped up, stopping me from doing so. Its name was "WUIconWindow", and what worries me is that after I tried to look it up, all i found was "malware analysis". I've...
  5. I need immediate help please .. everything is gone !!

I need immediate help please .. everything is gone !!: Hello everyone .. I was using a Windows 10 acer device ( not mine, for a family member ) and i noticed that there are alot of unused programs from the control panel so i started to uninstall the ones am sure are not needed like unused players or pdf readers and such .. one...
  6. I need help immediately!

I need help immediately!: I have gotten a new pc recently, and because I'm in college I needed to use one drive. so I log in and all and it forces a full backup on my computer. half my apps have been corrupted, some of my very important files are also corrupted. Even Microsoft word isn't working. how...
  7. everything that was on my pc is now gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    everything that was on my pc is now gone: I was signed into my pc then it turned off and now nothing is on my pc, its like it got completely wiped, what do I do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/everything-that-was-on-my-pc-is-now-gone/944a4e94-fbc4-46cb-86de-b5194bdc5a3e
  8. HELP.. Everything is gone!

in Windows 10 Support
    HELP.. Everything is gone!: logged onto my computer tonight and EVERYTHING is gone. The desktop comes on and there are a few shortcuts for apps, but everything else is gone. I checked the document folder and its all gone too. This is about 20 years worth of my life. I just got rid of the old hard drive...
  9. Need help moving files

Need help moving files: Good morning, I have recently started with a new company and I need to move user network access forms into folders with their respective name. The problem is the names that are used for the files all have a different t however the naming convention. However, they all do have...
  10. HELP, everything is gone!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP, everything is gone!: Approximately 7 weeks ago, I had an update that wiped out all of my "junk" temporary files. Since then, every time the computer turns off or I get an update , I lose more and never see it again. I have lost pictures, my favorites, my games, tabs, reading list, and yesterday,...