Windows 10: Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone

Discus and support Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been trying to clear up space on my SSD (C:) as it's not very large and all of my files keep defaulting to it. I've been working on rerouting all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TreeWithNoCoat, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone

I've been trying to clear up space on my SSD (CMoved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone :) as it's not very large and all of my files keep defaulting to it. I've been working on rerouting all of my files to my hard drive (DMoved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone :) and read somewhere that moving my users folder there would free up tons of space. And it worked! As my family uses my PC occasionally, they each have their own profiles. There are a total of 4 user profiles on the PC, and the users folder took about 80gb of space up on my C: drive.

I successfully transferred my users folder to my D: drive, and all of the files are still there. The programs all open, but seem to have been reset to their original values. Also, everything on my taskbar doesn't work and I have to access every program through file explorer (which will only open through Windows E)

How can I restore my desktop, but from my D: drive (where it is located) as well as all of my settings? Did I majorly FU?

submitted by /u/TreeWithNoCoat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TreeWithNoCoat, Mar 25, 2021

2. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Windows and am setting up my new machine, I followed these directions to move my desktop folder to a different drive(by Aileen Alf almost to the bottom): Move Users folder to another drive

A new folder was not created on the E:\ drive, it just put the only thing on the desktop on the new drive which is an alias for Microsoft Edge. I have tried to restore Default in Properties, Location but I get an error saying "The folder can't be moved here
    Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "E:\System Volume Information".

In File Explorer next to the Desktop icon it shows E:\ rather than saying Desktop so it really did move the folder there but its going into the main part of the drive without a folder named Desktop.

I read several other ways to move the folder and they say to create the folders on the new drive first but I followed this procedure as it was given by a Microsoft Agent in this community.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,

G.A.

G.A.Crunch, Mar 25, 2021
  3. scopio Win User
    Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone [​IMG]

Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone [​IMG]

scopio, Mar 25, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone

Moving desktop from different user account

At the risk of confusing you even further - you have a FOURTH Desktop in C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Actually this is a good thing and would seem to be what you are looking for. Every user has their own private Desktop, you cannot merge these. However, what you see in your Desktop is more than just what's in your own Desktop. All users see a Desktop that is a combination of their private one and the Public one. Apps that install a shortcut on the Desktop often do so in the Public Desktop so that all users see it.

Any folders or documents you put in the Public Desktop are available to all users. So I suggest you create a folder or two on the Public Desktop then each user can move their private files/folders from their own Desktop into these folders on the Public one. Then there will be just one copy in one central place and accessible to all users. If you do this, remember to include the Public Desktop in any backup regime you use.

The One Drive Desktop is presumably there for syncing that particular user's private Desktop across their other devices.

Thema:

Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone

1. Moved "users" folder to a different drive, didn't lose files but now my desktop is gone - Similar Threads - Moved users folder

2. Moved video folder to a different drive problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved video folder to a different drive problems: Moved the video folder to a different drive Windows 10 20H2 I moved music folder, documents folder, downloads as the tutorial on here and it worked as expected I then moved the videos folder in the same way that worked but when I reboot I get a folder in the frequent...
  3. Moving files/folders to different drive issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files/folders to different drive issue: I regulary have reason to copy files and folders from one HDD to another, and have a strong preference for them being moved, not copied. Since reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, however, I am unable to do so. I am presently running 10 Home 10.0.18363. I have attempted to...
  4. Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive: I'm going to do a fresh install and I don't want the profile folder on my C drive for 2 reasons - its a small SSD, and I want all data to be on a separate drive so my OS drive is separate. I can move my Document/Download etc folders but thats not enough at all, everything...
  5. moving files to different folders in photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving files to different folders in photos: When organizing photo files, windows denies ability to move or rename, says file is not available, does not exist. the file is still there, but does not display. I have to reboot. The computer stalls on reboot and close. I have to hold the start button down & computer closes....
  6. Moving user folder to new Drive

Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  7. My user folder has been moved to the desktop

My user folder has been moved to the desktop: Hello I've just started setting up my new desktop with Windows 10. I just realised my user folder has been moved to the desktop, not sure how. In the C:Users\ folder there are now only two folders: 'Public' (used to be there before) and 'defaultuser10000' (new folder...
  8. Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!

Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!: Hello I was trying to save space off my SDD so I decided to move my Captures folder to D: I tried copying and pasting it there but it didn't work, so I pressed properties and then elected location, then move and chose D: For some reason, I opened D and the screen captures...
  9. Moving desktop from different user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving desktop from different user account: I have 2 user accounts with the DESKTOP folder listed. Either one opens the desktop files and sub-folders. I'd like to move the default location of DESKTOP from one user account to another without creating any redundancies, deletions or problems. Can this be done? *Cool*Cool...
  10. Linking to Users folder on different drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Linking to Users folder on different drive: Hello, Has anyone had any trouble linking the C:\users folder on another machine? I have successfully done this all the last 3 installs of windows I have done following these instructions: How To Change User Profile Location in Windows 8 without Registry Hack | Next of...