Windows 10: Movies and TV and the MKV nightmare

Discus and support Movies and TV and the MKV nightmare in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since the release of windows 10 in 2015, there was an app called "Movies and TV" that can play different video extensions except MKV. Now for 5 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hamdi Zeddini, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Movies and TV and the MKV nightmare

Since the release of windows 10 in 2015, there was an app called "Movies and TV" that can play different video extensions except MKV. Now for 5 years Microsoft didn't fix this issue and I really don't know why, I was sure that any company will be happy to attract as much people as possible to its ecosystem but I don't really feel that in this case, I'm found myself forced to install another software just for this tiny exception, so why? could anyone explain this issue to me please?

:)

Hamdi Zeddini, Sep 20, 2020
  2. Briangw Win User
    Briangw, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Ajo191 Win User
    Movies & TV - MKV no sound

Hey, according to Windows 10 - Movies & TV App and MKV Files , The reason your MKVs aren't playing is because MKV is a container that can hold a couple different types of audio. Apparently, it supports AC3 and AAC audio
    fine, but not DTS. I recommend VLC media player. It works well on almost any file.

Ajo191, Sep 20, 2020
  4. dp001 Win User

Movies and TV and the MKV nightmare

Movies & TV - MKV no sound

Just spot this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3078080

So is MKV format supported on Win 10?

Thanks,

David

The Movies & TV app in Windows 10 supports most Digital Rights Management (DRM)-free videos, including the following formats:

• m4v
    • .mp4
    • .mov
    • .asf
    • .avi
    • .wmv
    • .m2ts
    • .3g2
    • .3gp2
    • .3gpp
    For a detailed table of supported codecs for each format, see Supported audio and video formats.

dp001, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Movies and TV and the MKV nightmare

1. Movies and TV and the MKV nightmare - Similar Threads - Movies MKV nightmare

2. Movies&TV/ Media player, Dolby Vision, MKV, Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movies&TV/ Media player, Dolby Vision, MKV, Windows11: Hi there,I used movies&tv and media playerwin11 to play .mkv file with dolby vison. HEVCThe media player remind a error 0xc00d3e8c, 'unsupported encoding setting'Windows 11 pro 22h2 22621.1928. My laptop is a licensed device for Dolby vison....
  3. Movies&TV/ Media player, Dolby Vision, MKV, Windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movies&TV/ Media player, Dolby Vision, MKV, Windows11: Hi there,I used movies&tv and media playerwin11 to play .mkv file with dolby vison. HEVCThe media player remind a error 0xc00d3e8c, 'unsupported encoding setting'Windows 11 pro 22h2 22621.1928. My laptop is a licensed device for Dolby vison....
  4. Movies And TV

in Windows 10 Customization
    Movies And TV: Hello There, Since I Have Reinstalled My Movies And TV App Whenever I Play A Video It Says "Cant Play Please try again. If the problem continues, visit https://support.microsoft.com to check for guidance.Error 0x800700ea I Watched The Same Video On Other Players Like...
  5. Movies and TV

Movies and TV: Hello, I have rented a few movies in the Microsoft Store on my PC, but I want to watch them on my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7, is there any way I can watch the movies I bought on my phone? Is there a certain app I can download? I can't find the Movies and TV app...
  6. Movies & TV

Movies & TV: I have windows 10. Why are all the movies I rent EXPIRED on the same day as I rent them??? It all began on Dec. 07, 2019. The registry fix is impossibe> How do I get what I have PAID for??????...
  7. Movies & TV

in Windows 10 Customization
    Movies & TV: How do I stop Movies & TV application from starting alone when I put it into Pause? I stopped auto play in the Microsoft Store settings and it stills plays around 10 seconds after I put it in Pause. Thanks...
  8. movies & TV

movies & TV: When I play a movie I get the sound but the window is solid green, I can't see the video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movies-tv/451af57b-80ec-4dd0-8a40-9c47f2325f5f
  9. movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?

movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?: movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movies-tv-app-cant-play-sound-in-mkv-files/021849a8-e4e1-4a71-91d2-d47b43b98998
  10. Movie & TV

Movie & TV: Hello, Movie & Tv do not read .mov video. It works on VCL, windows media player, itunes, Quicktime, but not Movie & Tv. Do you have a solution ? Thank you 27617