Windows 10: Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

Discus and support Moving a Directory to Storage Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm quite sure many people move a Directory to a Storage Drive so some software will act appropriately, like Pictures for instance. Some computers even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FunkMaster, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

I'm quite sure many people move a Directory to a Storage Drive so some software will act appropriately, like Pictures for instance. Some computers even come with an SSD and a Storage drive OOTB, but they don't put any Directories on the Storage Drive.

My question is, how stable is it to move something like the Pictures Directory to a Storage Drive? I see how to do it online but don't know how stable it will be with windows 10 Feature Updates? I guess I'll need to try this myself asap but will some give me their experiences.

:)

FunkMaster, Aug 11, 2019
  2. Snuh23 Win User

Windows 10 - Documents directory moved once , but cannot be moved again.

Hi,

To save space on my C: drive, I moved my Documents directory to another new, otherwise empty drive (GMoving a Directory to Storage Drive :) using the right click - properties - location - move
    option on the original Documents directory under "This PC". This moved it ok, but I then realised that I had moved everything to the root of the new drive instead of into a new "Documents" directory. I now have a "G:\" item showing under "This
    PC" instead of "Documents" but otherwise everything seems to work ok. However, I need to fix this as I also want to move other libraries such as Pictures etc to the G: drive as well.

So, I thought I would undo this by moving it back to where it was then move it again to the new target properly. However, I cannot get this to work.:

• I create a new "Documents" sub directory in my user directory in c:\users.
    • I use the right click - properties - location - move on the current location ("G:\" under "This PC") and select the new Documents directory I created in the step above as the new location.
    • I click "OK" and get the warning message recommending that all files are moved, and I click "OK" again.
    • I then get an "access denied" message and nothing is moved.

My user ID is in the administrators group. I have tried this again to another drive, and I have even given my user ID specific full access privileges to the target drive just in case. However, I the same "access denied" issue noted above every time,
    and I have discovered the following:

• After I click "OK" on the "Access Denied" message, I check the target directory and it no longer seems to be there.
    • I can see the target directory again if I deselect the "Hide protected operating system files" setting for the drive.
    • The target drive is set to "Hidden" and seems to have been assigned as a protected operating system directory by the move process. I assume this happens before anything is actually moved and this results in the "access denied" issue.

This happens every time. I have created several new test target directories across a few different data only drives. Before I try the move, the directory is not hidden (or seen as a protected operating system directory), but as soon as I try the move,
    it is then set as hidden etc and the move fails. I can manually copy files in to these new directories ok but the move process fails every time.

Any ideas?

Snuh23, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.1

New features!
    • New button icons!
    • New Total selected directory size!
    • Made the Exit button text bigger!
    Download here

Mindweaver, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

1. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive - Similar Threads - Moving Directory Storage

2. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...: Using MOVE in a cmd window to rename directories. move "D:/M/FLAC files/066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC] {R}" "066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC]" The directory was renamed and moved to D:/ not renamed in situ. Do I not understand the move command?...
  3. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...: Using MOVE in a cmd window to rename directories. move "D:/M/FLAC files/066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC] {R}" "066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC]" The directory was renamed and moved to D:/ not renamed in situ. Do I not understand the move command?...
  4. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. D drive Storage moved to C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D drive Storage moved to C drive: My G drive 195 GB is totally free. If I try to copy any files to the G drive it showing not enough space cause my c drive has only 25 Gb free. Anything I try to copy in Disk 0465 GB- D, E, G Volume takes spaces in the C drive. There is a video also.What can I do now?? Disk...
  6. D drive Storage moved to C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D drive Storage moved to C drive: My G drive 195 GB is totally free. If I try to copy any files to the G drive it showing not enough space cause my c drive has only 25 Gb free. Anything I try to copy in Disk 0465 GB- D, E, G Volume takes spaces in the C drive. There is a video also.What can I do now?? Disk...
  7. D drive Storage moved to C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Windows Can't Move a Directory

Windows Can't Move a Directory: Once again, Microsoft Windows 10 can't achieve trivial tasks without expanding into that all-too-familar circle of dung. Today's issue is that a directory cannot be moved. There are no pending syncs - OneDrive claims it is up to date. All files in the directory were created...
  9. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...
  10. Moving the Windows.old directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the Windows.old directory: I have a C partition which is not very large. So when there was a recent windows update and windows created the windows.old directory my space on the C partition got small. So I thought it was a good idea to move the windows.old directory to another partition. This was...