Windows 10: Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU

Discus and support Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My motherboard failed on a Windows 10 system to boot after around 8 years so I had to get a new one. My question is can I simply move a hardware RAID... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by WayneCarpenter- [O365], Dec 1, 2023.

1. Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU

My motherboard failed on a Windows 10 system to boot after around 8 years so I had to get a new one. My question is can I simply move a hardware RAID card and drives to the new MB and new CPU RAM without any significant issues? If there are no significant issues, I understand that at least I would have to use the Activation Troubleshooter and select the change hardware option to activate Windows. Is this correct for a Retail version.Thanks

:)

WayneCarpenter- [O365], Dec 1, 2023
  2. Fred2805 Win User

Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

This is in preparation for hardware to be Windows 11 acceptable

The upgrade will consist of

· Replace old motherboard with new motherboard

· Replace old CPU with new CPU

· Replace old SATA SSD with new M.2 SSD

· Clean install Windows 10

Activities involved

1. Flash BIOS on new motherboard on table using USB and spare PSU

2. Backup complete system

3. Copy RAID 0 (mirrored drives) to an external drive (just an additional precaution)

4. Disconnect all drives on old system except C: with OS

5. Install M.2 SSD in old system

6. Clone old system on SATA to new M.2 SSD

7. Shutdown system, remove old system SATA SSD

8. Restart running old system on M.2 SSD

9. Delete old system drivers from M.2 How?

10. Install drivers for new hardware

11. Shut down old system

12. Remove old motherboard

13. Remove M.2 from old motherboard and install on new

14. Install M.2 on new motherboard

15. Install new motherboard in place of old motherboard

16. Use Windows 10 USB to clean install windows on M.2

17. Reinstall system drivers, if necessary

18. Reconnect disk drives.

19. Configure RAID 0. This is where the backup may be handy.

Hopefully, when complete, the system is ready.

Does this sequence seem workable?

Fred2805, Dec 1, 2023
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1

Hi there
    Not sure if this is the best way but should work.

1) backup data to individual external drives (or whatever -- cloud services etc). For basic data - use ROBOCOPY ,XCOPY, or simply Windows / File explorer.
    2) install new HDD's
    3) Create your RAID array's for the new drives.
    4) restore data saved via step 1).

If you have the Windows OS on a RAID device then that's beyond my knowledge - AFAIK Windows needs a hardware card with a driver to boot a RAID device. However the suggestion I've made will save / recover your DATA files.

Cheers
    jimbo.

jimbo45, Dec 1, 2023
  4. Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU

Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

Hi, I'm Robinson, and I’m happy to help you today.

I know how frustrating this may be for you but I'll do my very best to help you.

Here are 2 procedures that you will make Windows activation easy after the upgrade.

Step 1- Check if you have a Retail license.

1- Click the start menu, then type CMD. Right-click the command prompt then select run as administrator.

2-In the command prompt type or copy-paste the command below and press enter

slmgr /dlv

OEM type - a license the is embedded on the first machine it was installed to. And this type of license is not transferable and you will need to buy a new license.

Retail type - can be transferred to another PC. Provided that the Windows edition on the new device is the same as the license edition.

Step 2 - Link your Windows license to your Microsoft account. Linking your Microsoft account with your digital license allows you to reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter whenever you make a significant hardware change. You can see how to link your license at this link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rea...

Then if you want to perform a clean install of Windows 11 on the new hardware you can with fewer steps.

1. Flash BIOS on new motherboard on table using USB and spare PSU

2. Backup complete system

3. Copy RAID 0 (mirrored drives) to an external drive (just an additional precaution)

4. Create a Windows 11 USB bootable with Media Creation Tool.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

5. Remove the old hardware and replace it with the new one

6. Use Windows 11 USB to clean install windows on M.2

7. Log on Windows using the same Microsoft account and Windows should activate automatically

8. Reinstall system drivers, if necessary

9. Reconnect disk drives.

10. Configure RAID 0. This is where the backup may be handy.

RobinsonSilvestre, Dec 1, 2023
Thema:

Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU

1. Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU - Similar Threads - Moving hardware RAID

2. Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU: My motherboard failed on a Windows 10 system to boot after around 8 years so I had to get a new one. My question is can I simply move a hardware RAID card and drives to the new MB and new CPU RAM without any significant issues? If there are no significant issues, I understand...
  3. Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a hardware RAID card and drives to new MB, CPU: My motherboard failed on a Windows 10 system to boot after around 8 years so I had to get a new one. My question is can I simply move a hardware RAID card and drives to the new MB and new CPU RAM without any significant issues? If there are no significant issues, I understand...
  4. Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu: This is in preparation for hardware to be Windows 11 acceptable The upgrade will consist of· Replace old motherboard with new motherboard· Replace old CPU with new CPU· Replace old SATA SSD with new M.2 SSD· Clean install Windows 10 Activities...
  5. Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu: This is in preparation for hardware to be Windows 11 acceptable The upgrade will consist of· Replace old motherboard with new motherboard· Replace old CPU with new CPU· Replace old SATA SSD with new M.2 SSD· Clean install Windows 10 Activities...
  6. Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???: I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died. What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new motherboard & processer? The core is from: Intel i5 4690 to i7 9700 Can I use his current installed windows in new hardware???...
  8. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  9. Hardware Raid card for Gigabyte Z390 UD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware Raid card for Gigabyte Z390 UD: I tried the LSI/3Ware 9650SE-2LP and the 9650SE-4LPML in a new Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard build, but the motherboard doesn't seem to be compatible. During boot, it seems to try to load the 3Ware Bios, but then fails. Is there a hardware Raid card that is compatible with...
  10. Moving Activation to a new MB

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Activation to a new MB: I am a developer who does work for the VA and a DoD contractor. I am under orders to change-out my Intel MB for an AMD Threadripper one. I don't make the rules - I just have to follow them. I am on W10 Pro x64... How do I move my license from my existing MSI MB and...