Windows 10: Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced

Discus and support Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently had a motherboard replaced on a laptop and after restoring Windows the OS does not activate. I am assuming because the installation was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Evan Wallace, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced

I recently had a motherboard replaced on a laptop and after restoring Windows the OS does not activate. I am assuming because the installation was hardware locked and the new MOBO messed that up. Is there any way to fix the activation now that the MOBO has been replaced?

:)

Evan Wallace, Nov 19, 2018
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Need to Replace my Mobo...

You will have to contact MS Support to get help activating after you replace the MOBO.

There is one exception to the no transfer rule that others have cited. That is when you replace the MOBO under warranty with the same model MOBO. So, get confirmation from HP that this is an equivalent replacement before contacting MS.

Rohn007, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Win10 License after Mobo Upgrade ?

I recently upgraded my mobo and in preparation got a digital Win10 license connected to my MS account as suggested here: How to Reactivate Windows 10 After Changing Hardware

I simply hooked my old SSD to the new mobo and Win10 took a little extra time to boot and was up and running -- not like the bad old days Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced :) However, when I tried to activate Win10 using the digital license per the above it didn't work - there was no license for this type of device, which I assumed meant a PC. So I chatted with a MS tech and he kindly connected to my machine and activated it for me. I also went to my MS account and got a digital license for the new mobo.

However, a couple days later I noticed that I now have a product ID that ends in -AAOEM I assume this means it is an OEM license which cannot be transferred if I replace the mobo again.

I originally purchased XP in 2005 when I assembled my first computer. I took advantage of the inexpensive Win8 Upgrade to purchase Win8 Pro which became Win8.1 and then Win10 Pro, all without further payment to MS.

I assumed that because I started by purchasing XP that I had a retail license and that this retail license would propagate through all of these upgrades, allowing me to change mobo's whenever I chose. In thinking more about it, I'm wondering whether the cheap upgrade to Win8 converted my license to OEM and this tech did me a favor by allowing the mobo change. Or, should he have made the license retail?

Bottom line is I think I now have an OEM license and don't understand whether it should be a retail license or I'm a cheapskate and should just buy a new Win10 Retail license when I next change mobo's.

GadgetBuilder, Nov 19, 2018
  4. evilebob Win User

Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced

Windows 10 Digital license new mobo?

So by a program I'm enrolled in I was able to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 which says it has a digital license.

From Googling around I understand the digital license is sort of a hardware signature so what happens when I replace my mobo/cpu/ram?

Per other threads windows 10 is usually able to handle such an extensive hardware swap, but what happens with the digital license... would there be any issues on reactivating?

Thanks,

Bob

evilebob, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced

1. Moving a windows home license to a laptop that had the MOBO replaced - Similar Threads - Moving home license

2. How to transfer win11 license to a new laptop that had to be replaced?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer win11 license to a new laptop that had to be replaced?: Hi. I had to return a laptop after a week due to a faulty sound card the laptop came with windows 11 that the vendor had installed. I paid for the licence and the installation. Now I have asked the vendor to ship the new one to me. I'll do the installation with the win 11 iso...
  3. How to transfer win11 license to a new laptop that had to be replaced?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer win11 license to a new laptop that had to be replaced?: Hi. I had to return a laptop after a week due to a faulty sound card the laptop came with windows 11 that the vendor had installed. I paid for the licence and the installation. Now I have asked the vendor to ship the new one to me. I'll do the installation with the win 11 iso...
  4. Moving a windows home license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a windows home license: Is it possible to move a MS Windows Home license from one computer to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-a-windows-home-license/d294de92-6a08-403e-8abf-876c10ec75fa
  5. Moving a windows home license

Moving a windows home license: Is it possible to move a MS Windows Home license from one computer to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-a-windows-home-license/d294de92-6a08-403e-8abf-876c10ec75fa
  6. Moving a windows home license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Transferring Windows License to a replacement laptop.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows License to a replacement laptop.: I have a Windows 10 Pro laptop that died bought a new Windows 10 Home laptop to replace it. I would like to transfer the Windows 10 Pro license to the new laptop. The key IS NOT an OEM key so I should be able to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to the replacement computer...
  8. Transferring Windows License to a replacement laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows License to a replacement laptop.: I have a Windows 10 Pro laptop that died bought a new Windows 10 Home laptop to replace it. I would like to transfer the Windows 10 Pro license to the new laptop. The key IS NOT an OEM key so I should be able to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to the replacement computer...
  9. Transferring Windows License to a replacement laptop.

10. BSOD on a newly replaced MOBO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD on a newly replaced MOBO: Hello guys, I had this problem for a few months already and I ha my motherboard replaced to fix the problem. But only after a few days, the same BSOD happened with the same error. Maybe someone can help me with this. Here is the latest dumpfile of the last BSOD....