Windows 10: Moving a Windows installation to an SSD if you have a dual-boot configuration

Discus and support Moving a Windows installation to an SSD if you have a dual-boot configuration in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I'm just looking for some guidance at this time. Background: A few years ago, I custom built a PC that, for budgetary reasons, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TJLewis, Jul 29, 2020.

1. TJLewis Win User

Moving a Windows installation to an SSD if you have a dual-boot configuration

Hello Everyone,

I'm just looking for some guidance at this time.

Background:

A few years ago, I custom built a PC that, for budgetary reasons, I fitted 2 mechanical hard drives to.

When I first put the rig together, I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on the disc at SATA Port 0.

A bit later on, I purchased a license for Windows 10 Home and installed that on the disc at SATA Port 1, creating a dual-boot environment.

I retain the Windows 7 installation, but keep it offline, as I have some software that doesn't play nicely with Windows 10.

So, I have 2 Hard Drives in the PC, as follows:

Disc 0 Boot Device: 500GB Mechanical Hard Drive. Windows 7 Home Premium installed OEM Licence. Kept offline.

Disc 1: 1GB Mechanical Hard Drive. Windows 10 Home installed Retail Licence. All internet traffic goes through here.

I was thinking of upgrading the system to SSD Hard Drives, but as my situation is not entirely "normal", I am unsure if it would be safe to transfer / clone my hard drives to SSD drives or not.

I would prefer not to have to do a completely "Clean" reinstallation, as I have a fair bit of software and this would be a lot of work.

So, to the questions:

Do we think it would be safe to use something like Macrium Reflect Free Edition any recommendations? to make an SSD clone of each hard drive I was thinking of transferring the Windows 7 disc first, then after a delay to do the same for the Windows 10 disc?

Any thoughts on potential problems when transferring Dual-boot systems to SSD?

Alternatively, should I not be playing with fire like this, and just leave things alone?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

:)

TJLewis, Jul 29, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Re-install xp in dual-boot configuration

I had an installation of xp . Then I added an installation of windows 7 and dual-booted both. Now the xp installation won`t boot and I want to repair / re-install it. If I do this , will it remove the windows 7 boot-loader and if it does then how do I get back my working dual-boot configuration ?

francis511, Jul 29, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving a Windows installation to an SSD if you have a dual-boot configuration - Similar Threads - Moving installation SSD

2. Windows won’t boot after installing Linux in a dual boot configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won’t boot after installing Linux in a dual boot configuration: I currently have windows 11 dual booting with Ubuntu Linux, each is installed on its own drive. The problem is I‘m unable to boot back into windows but all the data is still or appears to be available according to Linux....
  3. Windows won’t boot after installing Linux in a dual boot configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won’t boot after installing Linux in a dual boot configuration: I currently have windows 11 dual booting with Ubuntu Linux, each is installed on its own drive. The problem is I‘m unable to boot back into windows but all the data is still or appears to be available according to Linux....
  4. Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot: I have Windows 10 Home in a SSD. I have a new SSD with greater capacity. I intend to mount the new SSD in my system with the current SSD. I want to install Windows 10 onto the new SSD and then dual-boot the two systems. I think that is possible.If someone can guide me to...
  5. Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot: I have Windows 10 Home in a SSD. I have a new SSD with greater capacity. I intend to mount the new SSD in my system with the current SSD. I want to install Windows 10 onto the new SSD and then dual-boot the two systems. I think that is possible.If someone can guide me to...
  6. Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Moving Boot to an SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Boot to an SSD: Hi, So at the moment I'm running my system through a standard 2tb HDD, and would like to move the bootup to the 1tb SSD that I have just bought. I've seen a lot about having to clone my bootup through exterior software and then transfer it to the new drive, but i was...
  8. New I have a dual boot with two SSD

New I have a dual boot with two SSD: I have a dual boot with two SSD. On both are W10 systems, let's say W10 and W10 test. Till yesterday it worked as follows: booting up bios; Bios (or DOS?) screen in which to select which OS. After selection immediately the selected OS system started. Today I updated W10 test...
  9. dual boot configuration

in Windows 10 Support
    dual boot configuration: Hello, I have a dual boot configuration with windows 10: C: Win 10 D: Data E: Win 10 for aplication tests How to block disk access from one installation to another? C: can see D: but cannot see and access E: E: cannot see and access C: and D: Thanks 90108
  10. Dual Boot on external SSD?

Dual Boot on external SSD?: Hi guys, I'm currently running Windows 7 (Bootcamp, MBP 2012) and planning to buy a new MSI laptop running Win 10. I would like to ask if it's possible to clone my old Windows 7 to an external SSD and run it as a Dual Boot on the new laptop? I'm working in music...