Windows 10: Moving Activation to a new MB

Discus and support Moving Activation to a new MB in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am a developer who does work for the VA and a DoD contractor. I am under orders to change-out my Intel MB for an AMD Threadripper one. I don't make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dcbdbis, Jan 11, 2018.

1. dcbdbis Win User

Moving Activation to a new MB

I am a developer who does work for the VA and a DoD contractor. I am under orders to change-out my Intel MB for an AMD Threadripper one. I don't make the rules - I just have to follow them.

I am on W10 Pro x64...

How do I move my license from my existing MSI MB and Intel CPU to a ASUS MB and AMD CPU?

Is it even possible?

Dave

:)

dcbdbis, Jan 11, 2018
  2. JoeNamco Win User

Windows 10 no longer activated after hardware change

A new motherboard is a new computer when it comes to activation, if you replaced the MB with the same model/version you could use phone activation, but if it is an upgraded MB will need a new key, contact support and tell them what your did and support
    might activate it.

JoeNamco, Jan 11, 2018
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    reactivating windows after cpu/motherboard change

A new motherboard (upgrade) will need a new activation key, a replacement MB (similar) can be re activated, CPU's same series should activate.

JoeNamco, Jan 11, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User
  5. dcbdbis Win User
    Thank you! I do not have a MS account, I installed an "offline" user account. My license is from digital media I purchased - not the free W7 to W10 upgrade thing. Looks like I am going to have to create an MS account...

Does this change the link you sent to me?

dcbdbis, Jan 11, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

if it's proper retail you can move Windows with no probs --simply activate by phone --zero problems there usually and it's painless and quick - unlike typical call centre rubbish these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 13, 2018
  7. dcbdbis Win User
    I was hoping like that! Pretty the same as W7.

THANK YOU!

Dave

dcbdbis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Moving Activation to a new MB

1. Moving Activation to a new MB - Similar Threads - Moving Activation

2. Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer: Hi all - Attempting to get support from Microsoft however no response thus far. I have windows 10 on my previous computer and just finished building my new one. I downloaded windows 10 on my new PC, a few days later the update to windows 11 occured, however it is not...
  3. Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer: Hi all - Attempting to get support from Microsoft however no response thus far. I have windows 10 on my previous computer and just finished building my new one. I downloaded windows 10 on my new PC, a few days later the update to windows 11 occured, however it is not...
  4. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine: Hello, I deactivated my Win 10 installation on my laptop, created a virtual machine on the same unchanged laptop, installed Win 10 and activated it with my product key, which all appeared to go well. Now I get a message saying that it cannot be activated with my product key...
  5. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine: Hello, I deactivated my Win 10 installation on my laptop, created a virtual machine on the same unchanged laptop, installed Win 10 and activated it with my product key, which all appeared to go well. Now I get a message saying that it cannot be activated with my product key...
  6. Activate Win 10 that's been moved to a virtual machine

7. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC: I am a little confused on proper workflow. I am building a new PC and want to move my Windows 10 Home version retail license to the new PC. I will install Windows 10 from a USB stick, so it will be a new installation. I understand I am supposed to first deactivate my license...
  8. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC: I am a little confused on proper workflow. I am building a new PC and want to move my Windows 10 Home version retail license to the new PC. I will install Windows 10 from a USB stick, so it will be a new installation. I understand I am supposed to first deactivate my license...
  9. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Trouble moving digital retail Windows license to new PC activation fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble moving digital retail Windows license to new PC activation fails: Hi.I have an insane trouble with Windows activation on new PC and could not find way of getting real support.Back in a day I purchased Windows 10 Pro license from Microsoft Store, so Digital Retail license.PC was updated to Windows 11 Pro and was working and activated.PC...