Windows 10: Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD

Discus and support Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good day, I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro and the C: Drive is a 256 Gb SSD drive. The other internal drive D: is a 2 Tb SATA 5400 RPM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DuaneG, Sep 11, 2019.

1. DuaneG Win User

Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD

Good day,

I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro and the C: Drive is a 256 Gb SSD drive. The other internal drive D: is a 2 Tb SATA 5400 RPM hard drive. Currently the C: drive has just about everything on it, including all user folders and files. I would prefer to have nothing but the OS, Drivers and Applications (Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Program Data) residing on the C: drive and the "Users" folder (Default, all defined users and Public) and sub-folders on the D: drive. Reason being that it would make backup and recovery easier, utilize the speed of the SSD for the OS and applications and keep the SSD at a reasonable, manageable size. Also, if I use One Cloud it would sync only off the D: drive and we're only talking about pictures, videos, documents and data files where speed is not really an issue.

I am thinking that a symbolic link for "Users" to the D: drive would be the best alternative but would like to be sure it won't cause other problems. For example, if I only create a link for the "Users" folder could there be a problem with having \Users\Default located on D: rather than C:? Same question for the \Users\[username]\AppData\Local, LocalLow and Roaming sub-folders? Also, will the quick access icons in File Explorer (Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures, etc.) automatically change to point to the D: drive once the link is set or will I need to clear and reset them?

Lastly, please advise on the command line structure for setting the appropriate link and if all the needed commands are available in Windows 10 Pro. If using a symbolic is not recommended, please suggest alternative(s). Thanks very much.

Best regards,

DDG

:)

DuaneG, Sep 11, 2019
  2. FE_975 Win User

W10 home - Move program files securely from SSD to HD

I have a new W10 PC, it has a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HD. I wish to create a secure Program Files and Program Files (x86) on the HD, such that any future programs can be installed to it. BUT, I want them to be secure, such that a standard user can see and execute them
    but cannot delete or alter them.

If I install a program like firefox ( example ) to the HD, I can get it to install there but any user on my system seems to be able to also write to the folders and even delete them. Not perfect. If I install it to the default SSD then it is secure.

Question:

Is there any easy way to make all future Programs install to the HD, even if I have to manually tell it to do so each time, in a secure way?

Thanks

PS, See this post for original question -
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-new-pc-move-user-accounts-from-ssd-to/23b66112-4e3c-4def-97f6-d026333539cc
    Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

FE_975, Sep 11, 2019
  3. johnbbb Win User
    Move files from SSD "C" to HD "D"

I have a new laptop with a SSD as "C" drive and HD as the "D" drive. Since the SSD is small, I want to move as many files as possible to the HD, including the Windows 10 files. What can be moved, program files, data files, etc, and still have Windows functional.
    And how should it be done?

John

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

johnbbb, Sep 11, 2019
  4. FE_975 Win User

Windows 10 - New PC, move user accounts from SSD to HD, securely

Ive just got a new W10 PC. It has a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HD.

I Turned it on, created one (local Admin) account, installed W10, and updated.

I now have to create three user accounts that I wish to be on the HD not the SSD, and to be secure from each other such that user 1 cannot see the files of user 2 and user 3 etc.

I signed into User 1 and as a test used the Documents folder location move option to move it to the HD. It moved OK and took the documents with it.

But when I signed into user 2, I could see and open these documents, which I do not want.

Question - Whats the easiest way to move these folders and keep them secure to each user? Can I move the profile in one go, or do I have to move Documents, Photos, Music and Video for each user one at a time?

Thanks

FE_975, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD - Similar Threads - Moving user files

2. sata ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata ssd: I installed a sata 6 internal ssd and my cpu is not recognizing the drive what must I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-ssd/5c8a216f-bfe8-46f4-804a-745e44997e32
  3. Moving files from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  4. Moving User folder from SSD to HDD

Moving User folder from SSD to HDD: Hi, I'm trying to move my User folder from the SSD to the HDD but when I open the folder properties to do it, the "location" tab isn't present. Is there an easy fix for this? TIA...
  5. Moving all installed applications on SSD to HD except Windows

Moving all installed applications on SSD to HD except Windows: Hi, I'd like to move all my installed applicationson my SSD, exceptWindows, to my HD with having to uninstall and reinstall. Is there a safe procedure that permits this or a freeware utility to safely achieve this? Thanks,...
  6. How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move OS from HD to SSD ?: So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed. How do i get just the OS to run from that ssd ? I want to use the hard drive just for software and different files as storage. Im getting a new ssd i want to use...
  7. How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move OS from HD to SSD ?: So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed. How do i get just the OS to run from that ssd ? I want to use the hard drive just for software and different files as storage. Im getting a new ssd i want to use...
  8. Sata ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sata ssd: What is the difference between SATAI,II,and III? I want to buy one from EBay. Its a Seagate SATA I for only $11.00 160gb don't need much more than that. Just enough to hold small docs and for surfing. 102827
  9. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...
  10. Moving files from Users

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files from Users: Hello! I found that I had a lot of duplication on my pc. I had pictures under Windows/Users and the same under Our Photos (D*Smile I moved the pictures under Windows/Users to the Our Photos (D*Smile I now find in File Explorer I have D:/ and Our Photos (D*Smile Can I...