Windows 10: Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?!

Discus and support Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I had a previous installation of Windows, that got screwed by a BIOS update, as a mirror on another drive... I kept it in order to be able to restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kadajawi, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?!

I had a previous installation of Windows, that got screwed by a BIOS update, as a mirror on another drive... I kept it in order to be able to restore things that I'd still need. Now I wanted to clean up, archive those files and format the drive for further use. Despite some rights issues it worked reasonably well for ProgramData etc. But of course I also wanted to archive the Users folder.

To do so I moved the files onto a drive formatted ExFAT, so that 7zip could actually access them. At no point did I touch the system drive C.

While moving the files using RoboCopy (using the /E and /move option) I noticed the system going haywire, and, lo and behold, the AppData folder on C started looking quite empty. It looks like for some reason RoboCopy saw that it had moved files from a folder on drive H fine, and decided to delete that folder on C. I guess some symlink issue?!

I tried recovering the AppData folder using Shadow Explorer, which appeared to work. Just that most programs recognized that settings were there, but thought they were messed up. I then proceeded to restore a system recovery point, which, thanks to a recent Windows update, was only 2 days old. This appeared to work well... until I tried to start programs. Firefox seems to be relatively fine, at least my last session was restored. Plugins are gone though, and reddit for example doesn't work properly (using Edge to post this). Atom does not start at all. Notepad++ lost the sessions, including unsaved tabs. Slack got logged out (no big deal, this one). Ditto lost everything too. This is pretty bad - I REALLY hate reinstalling my system as it takes months to get it running as I want it. And that's when I am able to copy settings.

Any idea what I could still do? What went wrong? Why system recovery didn't work properly? One Notepad++ XML file is empty. Another was fine, except that it had several empty rows inserted into the middle of it. Other config files seem to be cut off in the middle. Etc.

Besides, I could not get proper ownership to the folders from my previous installation... why? I did go to the properties and then to the security tab, updated the owner to my user account, added the user account with full access to the files, ... but no chance. Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?! :( I kept getting access denied.

submitted by /u/kadajawi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kadajawi, Mar 30, 2020
  2. EarthDog Win User

How do I access the appdata folder when it is not my C:\ drive?

My google foo is failing me today so I come to the forums for help. I need to be able to see (copy) the appdata path (C:\users\username\appdata), but cannot seem to get permissions to even see it. I need to copy the Minecraft save data for my kiddo before I SE this drive and put a fresh W10 on it.
    Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?! [​IMG]

I am certain I am missing something easy.

TIA!

EarthDog, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Ztruker Win User
    %appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive

%appdata% is just an enviroment variable that the system uses as a shortcut to C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming

xxxxxxxx is your user account. If you open a Command Prompt and enter echo %appdata% you would see something like this (what shows on my PC).

C:\Users\ztruk>echo %appdata%
    C:\Users\ztruk\AppData\Roaming

so as clam1952 said, show hidden files and folders then you can browse for it on the old drive. The difference being the drive letter will not be C:, it will be what ever letter the system has assigned to that drive/partition.

Ztruker, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?!

Moving Appdata folder

Unfortunately, as you have noticed, there's just some things that can't be changed and that Folder is one of them and each User gets it. If I want to save room on the boot drive I do Custom installs of programs [usually a choice in the early stage of the install], haven't found but a few that don't allow that which I consider to be remiss on the part of those programmers. Even though the programs may show in AppData they may also show in C:\Programs Files or C:\Program Files (x86) Folders on 64-bit Windows or C:\Program Files Folder on 32-bit Windows. There will also be data related to those programs in C:\ProgramData. Quite complicated.

Berton, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?!

1. Moving AppData from drive H (different installation) destroyed AppData on C?! - Similar Threads - Moving AppData drive

2. How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10: My C drive is basically full, I want to free up space by moving C:/Users/super/AppData to my D drive which has a lot more space. What's the best way of going about doing this? Or else if it's a bad idea, what other way could I free up space in my C drive?...
  3. How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10: My C drive is basically full, I want to free up space by moving C:/Users/super/AppData to my D drive which has a lot more space. What's the best way of going about doing this? Or else if it's a bad idea, what other way could I free up space in my C drive?...
  4. How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?: I have installed the windows 11 OS to a SSD drive having 100GB capacity. Its 70GB already filled up and the maximum space is taken by the Program Files, Program Files x86 and the Users folder.I already moved the C:\users\username\Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, 3D...
  6. How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?

How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?: I have installed the windows 11 OS to a SSD drive having 100GB capacity. Its 70GB already filled up and the maximum space is taken by the Program Files, Program Files x86 and the Users folder.I already moved the C:\users\username\Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, 3D...
  7. AppData trouble and c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AppData trouble and c drive: When i press Win key + R and type %appdata% it asks me how i want to open the file and also when i click the hidden items option in files and go into This PC C drive doesnt show up, please help....
  8. AppData trouble and c drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppData trouble and c drive: When i press Win key + R and type %appdata% it asks me how i want to open the file and also when i click the hidden items option in files and go into This PC C drive doesnt show up, please help....
  9. AppData trouble and c drive

10. Move appdata folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move appdata folder to another drive: I was wondering if it was possible to move the appdata folder to a drive different from c, since I have a small ssd and I want to free up some space. I've red that changing its path could break some programs so I wanted to know what do you think about it and if you know other...