Windows 10: Moving AppData under Windows 10 - possible?

Discus and support Moving AppData under Windows 10 - possible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Under Windows 7 and Windows 8 moving 'C:\Users\<name>\AppData' to another drive was a simple 5 minute operation: just move the folder, create and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndreyT, Aug 3, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

Moving AppData under Windows 10 - possible?

Under Windows 7 and Windows 8 moving 'C:\Users\<name>\AppData' to another drive was a simple 5 minute operation: just move the folder, create and 'AppData' junction in its place and edit such junctions as 'SendTo', 'NetHood' and a bunch of others. Everything worked perfectly.

Under Windows 10 it doesn't work anymore. Trying to do the above immediately kills all "metro" applications and components and disables Start Menu.

So, did anyone know what else needs to be done in order to relocate 'AppData' under Windows 10? Any word on whether it is even possible?

:)

AndreyT, Aug 3, 2015
  2. Agade Win User

Cortana and moving appdata folder

I tried doing that and now the start menu, notifications and right clicking on icons on the taskbar work on my other windows user account. However that account still has issues: The windows store doesn't work and when I clicked it in my apps it's icon
    disappeared. Same thing happened with calculator and other apps.

Agade, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Cortana and moving appdata folder

Hi,

Thank your for posting in Microsoft Community. Thank you for your suggestion.

This issue might be occurring due to corrupted system files. Try following steps and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager.
      Here's a tip: Press Ctrl + Shift +
      Esc.

• Click File >
      Run New Task

• Make sure you have a check mark beside "Create this task with administrative privileges".

• Type CMD.

• Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

• sfc /scannow

• powershell

• Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Aug 3, 2015
  4. haws1290 Win User

Bump please I registered just to say I have the same problem and is there anyway around it!

haws1290, Aug 6, 2015
  5. padrollos Win User
    Hi all. I'm other newbie here.

I explain what I did for moving data only for AppData\Roaming folder.

See what is your current "Roaming" folder, typing %AppData% in command line, surely it will show C:\<Users>\<User>\AppData\Roaming..

Create a new folder in the desired location (or use xCopy to create tree copy of its original with same security attributes, FreeFileSync.. so on).

Right-click on both folders and check atttributes. Ensure that the new folder has exactly the same security attributes than the original.

Use Windows Explorer to right-click on current Roaming folder and right-click on "Location" tab. Set the new location and follow the assistance when it suggest you to move the content of the folder to the new location.

That's all. Regards.

padrollos, Sep 27, 2015
  6. AndreyT Win User
    This is actually pretty cool! I was unaware of the fact that `%APPDATA\Roaming` , `Local` and `LocalLow` folder provide the opportunity to change their location in their properties. Interesting. Thank you for this.

One concern I have about this though, is that the `Location` property is only available for `Roaming` , `Local` and `LocalLow` folders of the currently active user. This means that some files under these folders might be in use by currently running processes and therefore locked/inaccessible. Does this create any problems when attempting to relocate these folders?

AndreyT, Oct 5, 2015
  7. padrollos Win User
    I've only moved the Roaming folder (because as far as I know it acts as "default user data location" for most of the programs in Win7... so in Win10 too, doesn't?).

In Win7 all I had need was to change the location following the instructions after clicking on location tab of properties, but on Win10 it failed because the system had created the destination folder with different security attributes. I hadn't had problems with files in use when I did the change.

I've never touched Local neither LocalLow folders.

padrollos, Oct 6, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

lx07, Oct 6, 2015
  9. AndyG Win User
    Heh, Halasz, thanks, great link. I never new about this so didn't give it much thought. Possibly in future to save space on C drive mainly I might do this. Bookmarked. Goodstuff!!*Smile

AndyG, Oct 6, 2015
  10. jingx Win User
    Is there a way to keep the app data folder on C while moving the other folders like user folders and download etc to another drive? I'm experiencing longer loading times after relocating the folders because i moved the user folder to the slow HDD instead of my fast SSD C drive.

jingx, Apr 17, 2016
  11. AndreyT Win User
    Individual user folders like Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Searches, Contacts etc. are easily movable to a different location through Location tab in folder properties (if that's what you are asking about).

AndreyT, Apr 17, 2016
  12. jingx Win User
    I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong tab but thank you for your help!

jingx, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving AppData under Windows 10 - possible? - Similar Threads - Moving AppData under

2. How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10: My C drive is basically full, I want to free up space by moving C:/Users/super/AppData to my D drive which has a lot more space. What's the best way of going about doing this? Or else if it's a bad idea, what other way could I free up space in my C drive?...
  3. How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10: My C drive is basically full, I want to free up space by moving C:/Users/super/AppData to my D drive which has a lot more space. What's the best way of going about doing this? Or else if it's a bad idea, what other way could I free up space in my C drive?...
  4. How to move AppData to a different drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. AppData folder under incorrect user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AppData folder under incorrect user: I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are...
  6. AppData folder under incorrect user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppData folder under incorrect user: I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are...
  7. Is it only possible to move Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it only possible to move Windows?: I have bought a 256 GB SSD and would like to have Windows only on this move as my HDD is just too slow. Is this possible and if so with which program? HDD should logically remain in the PC because the rest of the data should remain on the HDD. Thanks in advance Kann man...
  8. Windows 10 pro appdata files displayed as virus under symmantec

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 pro appdata files displayed as virus under symmantec: Hi guys, i have some newly deployed windows 10 pro pcs in our work place. Our antivirus happens to detect that the pcs are having "viruses" under the appdata folders as u can see below. We're quite shocked about it as we did our OS installation via the given dvd disc and...
  9. How to move appdata/local folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move appdata/local folder?: I keep getting file xxx used by system. I already have group policies: "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" disabled "Add the Administrators security group to roaming user profiles." enabled I've already moved roaming, local low, documents (although some files &...
  10. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move appdata folder windows 10

2. windows 10 appdata move

3. move appdata folder win 10

4. move appdata to other drive windows 10,
  5. moving appdata windows 10,
  6. moveing all appdata to other drive cmd,
  7. moving appdata under windows 10