Windows 10: Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Discus and support Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HebeGB2, May 10, 2020.

1. HebeGB2 Win User

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended:

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive. 13a959ce-3eb9-48e4-9695-3b8122cad156?upload=true.png

They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D:

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive. d440ca8e-6511-404b-a6d0-8c2e236e0349?upload=true.png

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive. 44c6d976-8de0-4e7b-a278-9b983a0dea27?upload=true.png

How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the desktop?

:)

HebeGB2, May 10, 2020

2. Wanting to move Program files & Program Files(x86) from C drive [SSD] to D drive [HDD]?

Hey,

So I've been searching google, all kinds of forums and youtube but no luck. My SSD [C drive] is really small on my new pc so I wanted to move stuff over to the HDD [D drive]. Pictures and documents are already on the D drive. I'm not sure how to do this
    effectively and most importantly safely. I know you can get given the option on some installs as to where to put it, however I get told that I can't put it into my D drive because, for example,
    "Origin cannot save games in a root directory".

Please can someone help as to what I can do?

Thanks.

Aimée.93xo, May 10, 2020
  3. nickbee33 Win User
    Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive

I recently had to do a fresh reset on my pc and even had to go buy a new windows 10 key, however during installation i installed the windows os on my SSD which is bigger but the original os was installed on the hdd before. Now my old C drive is my D drive
    and vice versa. Is there a way to move my os over to the other drive without some kind of cloning software? Im not really concerned with losing any files, i just need to switch my os back to my hdd.

nickbee33, May 10, 2020
  4. Zaki_j Win User

C drive full, how to move some to D drive

Hi Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that your computer is running out of space and you would like to move the data from C drive to D Drive.

• When you say “How can I move some GB's from C to external D drive?“ do you want to free space on the c drive or do you want to extent the C partition?

If you want to free up space on C drive, I suggest to follow the below given suggestions.

Personal files such as videos, music, photos, and documents can take up a lot of space on your device. To see which files are using the most space:

1. Select File Explorer from the taskbar and find the files you want to move.
    2. Under This PC in the menu on the left, select a folder to see what files are saved in it. The
      Videos, Music, Pictures, and
      Downloads
      folders usually contain the largest files that you’ve saved to your device.
    3. To see the size of the files in a folder, select
      View
      > Details. Right-click in the open space and then select
      Sort by > Size to show the largest files at the top of the list.
    4. If there are files you no longer need on your device, you can either delete them or move them to an external storage device like a USB drive or an SD card.

Note: If you delete any files, remember to empty the Recycle Bin to completely remove them from your device and free up space.

To move photos, music, videos, or other files that you want to keep but don't use very often, consider saving them to an external storage device like a USB drive or an SD card. You'll still be able to use them when the drive is connected, but they won't take
    up space on your PC.

1. Connect an external storage device like a USB drive or SD card to your PC.
    2. Select File Explorer from the taskbar and go to the folder that contains the files you want to move.
    3. Select the files, select the Home tab, and then select
      Move to > Choose location.
    4. Select the external storage device you connected in the location list, and then select
      Move.

In Windows 10 you can also move the installed Windows Store apps to any other drive in order to free up space. You can also change the path of the default installation directory, for new apps.

If you would like to move the installed apps to another drive, try the below given suggestions.

Press Windows key + I to bring up the Settings menu and click Apps. You should be on the
    Apps & features page of the left-hand navigation.

Click on the app entry that you would like to move to a different drive to see
    Move and Uninstall
    options. Click Move button and then select a drive of your choice to move the app.

Note: When you click on a traditional desktop program or an app that came preinstalled with Windows 10, Windows 10 offers only Uninstall option and you can’t move desktop applications
    using this method.

For more information on how to free up space on your computer I suggest you refer to the suggestion from the given article

Free up drive space in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, May 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive. - Similar Threads - Moving Apps SSD

2. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  3. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  4. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  5. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  6. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd): [ATTACH] So i have an ssd with 447gb and a hdd with 595gb as shown below: https://preview.redd.it/z58f5igsmgs51.png?width=895&format=png&auto=webp&s=d648dbd5c143f4dd5909c761054dadddde1397e7 I want to move some files into hdd to have more space. But I've heard that it...
  8. What to move from C drive to D drive

What to move from C drive to D drive: Hi, I have a laptop with a 118GB SSD C drive and a 920GB HDD D drive. I have only a few megabytes of space left on my C drive so I need to start moving things from my C drive to my D drive to free up space. However, I have no idea what I can move to the D drive. I already...
  9. Moving app from C: drive to D: drive

Moving app from C: drive to D: drive: How do I move an app to a different internal drive? I'm aware of the move tool in the apps and features settings but it is greyed out and unavailable with no explanation as to why. I'd rather move the application without uninstalling and reinstalling it as it is a large file...
  10. Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive

Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive: Because my C drive has limited space, Ive been trying to change all settings of storage to my D drive. However, whenever trying to install a new program, it tries to be downloaded on the C drive still as the program requires to be downloaded on the 'system drive'. I also...