Windows 10: Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon

Discus and support Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH]The only way I have found to get certain apps to create desktop icons, without having to dig through file explorers to find the launch them, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Caden885, May 13, 2019.

1. Caden885 Win User

Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon

Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon 2a5864b2-5aa0-4423-87ee-12ac5a3e3c41?upload=true.png The only way I have found to get certain apps to create desktop icons, without having to dig through file explorers to find the launch them, is to drag them from the start menu. This causes all of these app icons to appear smaller inside the regular sized icon. The ones on the left were taken by searching the Start Menu and then clicking on file location and creating a desktop shortcut that way. However for the apps on the right this was not an option leading to them being dragged onto the desktop causing the sizing issue seen here. Why is there not an option to open file location for all of these apps especially Microsoft created ones like Edge? Resizing the icon helps but it does not stay the same size when it grows again and looks like it is in the picture and since individual icons cannot be resized it doesn't help. How can I make these apps appear with regular sized icons without resizing all of the icons? I have had this problem for years and there is a post with the same problem at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-picture/d87ea0de-1357-41e4-81f2-63382d4c7ce8 but the solution is outdated and not specific enough to help.

:)

Caden885, May 13, 2019
  2. Cliff S Win User

How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile.

I have even added my batch files to the apps list*Wink
    1. You need to create a desktop shortcut for it first by "send to desktop".
    2. Then cut & paste it into C:\Users\UserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    3. Open start menu and look on the list view, right click the icon(always make my own), and pin to start.
    4. I then go to my batch files original location, and a 256x256 .png of my icon, and an XML .VisualElementsManifest to it, and now I have my custom tile for my batch file.

Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon [​IMG]

Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon [​IMG]

Cliff S, May 13, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 13, 2019
  4. RDrewD2 Win User

Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon

How to create non-desktop shortcuts to files in Windows 10? (Favorites Bar or Start Menu)

SA:

Here's how I add program (or file) shortcuts to my start menu:

Open your start menu, and click the all apps icon to open the list. Right click any program on that list (that isn't a windows accessory), click "more", then click "open file location". That will open an explorer window with the path:

OS(CMoving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon :)/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/StartMenu/Programs

Leave that window open. Open a new file explorer window and navigate to the program or file you want to create the shortcut to. Right click the program or file and click "create shortcut" (doesn't matter if the shortcut appears in that same folder or desktop
    for the moment). Now just grab, drag, and drop that new shortcut into the open explorer window shown in bold above, and look to make sure it got added to the bottom of that list. Close those two explorer windows, and now that program or file will appear
    on your start menu in the all apps list. To make it a tile, then just grab, drag, and drop it from the all apps list into your start menu tiles field. Now you've got a start menu shortcut instead of another desktop icon.

RDrewD2, May 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon - Similar Threads - Moving apps start

2. Desktop Icons appear smaller than others.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons appear smaller than others.: I've been having an issue with some of the icons on my desktop. I don't know why this happens and haven't found anything about it online, but for some reason I can't get some icons to appear "full screen" and they instead look as if they are minimized. You can see below the...
  3. Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu: Hi I have added a new apps shortcut in Start menu via shell:AppsFolder->Desktop Shortcut->Start menu shortcut, but I have 2 issues: 1 - shortcut in menu does not show the app icon 2- app does not appear in search result 2.1 - i have deleted an rebuild the search index...
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  5. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  6. apps appear on desktop but not in left column of start menu

apps appear on desktop but not in left column of start menu: apps appear on desktop but not in left column start menu. Hw do I get them into left column? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-appear-on-desktop-but-not-in-left-column-of/35030156-f511-4506-9642-eb3c3b4d9c73
  7. Start menu shortcuts appearing in wrong place after renaming them

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu shortcuts appearing in wrong place after renaming them: Here's what happened: - 1. I installed a program called "Acoustica CD Label Maker" and a shortcut with the same name appeared in the "A" section of the start menu, as expected. 2. I renamed the shortcut to "CD Label Maker" and it moved to the "C" section, again, as...
  8. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...
  9. No Logo Appears on Desktop Shortcut Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    No Logo Appears on Desktop Shortcut Icon: RCA Cambio tablet, W10, Explorer Dsktp shtcut icons for website pages. I go to website page, copy url. Then clk blank area on desktop/new/shortcut/paste the url/type name for shortcut/finish. When it shows on desktop, it is just the white square with 'the big e' in it with...
  10. Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop: Hello, I recently purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and it has an odd issue which my old Windows 10 machine didn't... All the icons on the desktop (except the Recycle Bin) are showing shortcut overlays (little blue arrows on the lower-left corner of the icon) - whether...