Windows 10: Moving Apps To Another Storage Device

Discus and support Moving Apps To Another Storage Device in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So Windows 10 has a feature to move apps from one drive to another. I have set my storage setting for everything to be stored on a HDD since my primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SpaceCowboy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Moving Apps To Another Storage Device

So Windows 10 has a feature to move apps from one drive to another. I have set my storage setting for everything to be stored on a HDD since my primary OS drive is SDD. Even though I've followed the proper steps, none of my installed apps are being stored on the HDD. I cant even move them. Some apps dont have the option in the setting or some of them have the 'Move' button grayed out.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

:)

SpaceCowboy, Apr 17, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

Moving Apps from Phone storage to SD card

If there is no phone storage there will be no space to launch and run the app move program on the phone. You will have to find another way to free phone storage.

garym123, Apr 17, 2016
  3. windows.old folder

thanks, i want to ask again, if we moved that folder to another storage device, then it harmful to our device or not?

rajendrachaudhari88, Apr 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Moving Apps To Another Storage Device

Hi, do you mean this? (Or at least this procedure)
    Apps Save Location - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If so, note:
    Windows 10 will only install new apps to the currently selected location. Existing apps do not get moved to the new location. If you wanted your existing apps installed to the new location as well, then you could uninstall the apps you want, and install them again to have them installed to the new location. You can lose the existing data for the app by doing this though.

and

When a new Windows app from the Store is installed to the selected location, Windows 10 will create a WindowsApps folder at that location. The files and folders for apps in the WindowsApps folder will be encrypted with EFS, so no one but your account is able to access the data.

Have you seen this new folder at the new location?
    Windows 10 will create a WindowsApps folder at that location.

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  5. I'm not installing any apps from the store.

I have changed my install location setting in Settings>Storage to my HDD, but even then the apps are installing on my SSD.

6. dalchina New Member
    So we're not talking about universal apps. Is that correct?
    And you have done sthg different to that procedure for store apps. Is that correct?
    Could you please specify which install location you have changed?
    I'm not sure now about which of two possibilities you mean..

So I can understand what it is you're doing, can you give me an example of an app that is not installing on your HDD please? - and where did you get it from? Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  7. I've installed apps like Google Chrome, Citrix Receiver, HP Printer Software, etc.

Changed storage settings as shown below:

Moving Apps To Another Storage Device [​IMG]

C:\ is my SSD which I prefer to have primarily as my OS drive. X:\ I'm using for Apps ans Data storage.

When I changed the apps installation location as shown above, it did create a WindowsApps folder on my X:\ as expected.

Moving Apps To Another Storage Device [​IMG]

8. dalchina New Member

Thanks - I rather guessed that might be so.

The instructions in that tutorial - creating WindowsApps - are for the universal apps available via the store.

Desktop programs - like Firefox, Chrome, Ccleaner - are not affected by that- they use an entirely different model.
    When you install them, most of them offer you a choice of where you want to install them. I choose to install mine on D: - so when I install them, if it's a player, I choose D:\Multimedia\Players .... if it's an Office related program, D:\Office ..... etc

But both my C: and D: are on my SSD. It's a personal choice- and it's partly one I inherited from my previous installations.

However, unless your SSD is very small, (we haven't got your system specs - see mine below), for backup (imaging) purposes etc it's not a good idea to split programs and OS between disks.

And of course, if programs launched at startup are on an HDD, this will slow the time to get to a usable desktop.

Hope that helps.. and note the caveats about moving apps.

** I would say moving apps to a different disk is definitely not what you want to do - think what happens if a disk fails, or you want to upgrade it...

Certainly moving your personal data away from the OS disk or partition is highly recommended.
    What some people here do - and certainly I do - is to ignore the MS standard folders (which I find get filled up with folders created by programs - so 'Documents' to me is 'Their Documents' (!) ) and use my own folders on my own partitions.

Of course you can add folders to the libraries- or even create your own libraries. And there is the question of user specific folders to be considered if a PC has more than one user.

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  9. Thanks for the information.

SpaceCowboy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Apps To Another Storage Device - Similar Threads - Moving Apps Another

2. Moving app to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving app to another drive: I want to move an app from my C drive to my external E drive. I tried uninstalling the app from the C drive and when I reinstall it, it doesn't give me an option where to install it so it automatically installs back to my C drive....
  3. Moving app to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving app to another drive: I want to move an app from my C drive to my external E drive. I tried uninstalling the app from the C drive and when I reinstall it, it doesn't give me an option where to install it so it automatically installs back to my C drive....
  4. Migrating Windows to Another Storage Device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Windows to Another Storage Device: So I recently picked up a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, and I want to migrate windows over to that from my hard drive because my hard drive is in good condition, it is still extremely slow to boot up windows and start basically any apps. However, when it comes to this process and windows...
  5. Migrating Windows to Another Storage Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows to Another Storage Device: So I recently picked up a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, and I want to migrate windows over to that from my hard drive because my hard drive is in good condition, it is still extremely slow to boot up windows and start basically any apps. However, when it comes to this process and windows...
  6. Migrating Windows to Another Storage Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving Digital License to Another Device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Digital License to Another Device: so currently i'm in the process of trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro on my new PC. I have an activated Windows 10 on my laptop and I want to move it to my PC windows is retail, obtained from my uni, but when I input the product key from laptop into PC, it gave error...
  8. Moving App From Disk storage to stick storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving App From Disk storage to stick storage: I want to move a app from my laptop to a stick, can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-app-from-disk-storage-to-stick-storage/c3c46a2e-bbf3-4362-a738-66c9302878d0
  9. How to move applications from apps & features to another storage?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move applications from apps & features to another storage?: Well,i know there is a button "move" but didnt work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-applications-from-apps-features-to/46c537d4-4cdb-47c7-b43c-6cdeb90b1d93
  10. Move or Copy Xbox One Games and Apps Between Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move or Copy Xbox One Games and Apps Between Storage Devices: How to: Move or Copy Xbox One Games and Apps Between Storage Devices How to Move or Copy Games and Apps Between Storage Devices on Xbox One [img] Information The Xbox One is equipped with a 500 GB or 1 TB internal hard drive depending on which console you purchased....