Windows 10: Moving beyond built-in "Win7" sys backup - questions...

Discus and support Moving beyond built-in "Win7" sys backup - questions... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop. 1. When creating the WinPE bootable recovery media on the popular free versions (Macrium, EaseUS. AOEMEI. etc), do they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tunnel99, Jan 31, 2021.

1. tunnel99 Win User

Moving beyond built-in "Win7" sys backup - questions...

I have a Dell laptop.

1. When creating the WinPE bootable recovery media on the popular free versions (Macrium, EaseUS. AOEMEI. etc), do they typically capture the needed drivers for laptop keyboard and touchpad to work when booted? If this is tenuous, can someone point me to instructions for capturing those drivers for use while booted into the recovery media (USB flash for example)? If any of these programs do that better than others, would be nice to know!

2. My OS and data are all on one C: partition. When setting up incremental/differential partial backups, is that only for data file changes, or does it also pick up OS changes, similar to restore points?

3. Any recommended programs out there that can create system image while booted into the recovery media (so that Windows is down while creating the image)? (The way the old Norton Ghost used to be able to do) Or is my skepticism unwarranted, about programs using a "shadow copy" while Windows is still running?

Thanks,

Windows 10 Home
    Version 20H2
    OS build 19042.746

:)

tunnel99, Jan 31, 2021
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 31, 2021
  3. GELMEL48 Win User
    Windows Built-in Backup & Recovery Tools

Hi All Microsoft Windows Community Experts,

Backup of System Image of Win 7 and Win 10

Would like to seek your expert advice on backup of system image of Win 7 and Win 10.

Using Win7 built-in back up tool, I have made a System Image Backup to an external portable hard disk. I then noted that the default name of the backup file is "SystemImageBackup" and its default location is in the root directory of my external portable
    hard disk.

• After performing the backup, how do I know if the original "SystemImageBackup" file is not corrupted? When I looked into the “Properties” of the backup file, it says “o” bytes. Why is this so?
    • IF I rename this "SystemImageBackup" file from its original name to something else for my easy future indentification. Will the “systemimagebackup” file become corrupted?
    • IF I then move this backup file from the root directory to a new sub-folder. Will Win7 built-in recovery tool be able to recognise/locate the “systemimagebackup” file (which original name and location have been changed) in my external hard disk,
      and continue to perform the recovery successfully?
    • Can I make duplicate copy of the “systemimagebackup” file from the external hard disk to another external hard disk or thumbdrive or SD card? Will the file become corrupted? I feel it is safer to have at least 2 copies of the backup file on separate
      media.
    • For security to prevent myself from accidentally delete this “SystemImageBackup” file in future, I would like to hide it using Windows built-in hide/unhide tools. Will Windows built-in Recovery Tool be able to find it IF I should hide it?.
    • How do I check to ensure that the system image backup file has not become corrupted before I perform a recovery at any time in future?
    Thank you for taking your time to read my questions and hope to hear from you soon.

BTW, when I use this website with Windows 10 The Edge internet browser, I could not paste the above notes that I have copied from my word document. My only option is to retype everything which is quite tideous. Luckily Google Chrome internet browser
    is able to allow me to do the cut and past. I would like to give this feedback to Microsoft Edge of Windows 10 for its continuous improvement. Is there a direct website for me to send the feedback?

Bye!

Glemel

27/08/2015

GELMEL48, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Moving beyond built-in "Win7" sys backup - questions...

Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Moving beyond built-in "Win7" sys backup - questions...

1. Moving beyond built-in "Win7" sys backup - questions... - Similar Threads - Moving beyond built

2. Windows desktop will not move beyond the welcome screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows desktop will not move beyond the welcome screen.: My desktop running Windows 10 will not go beyond the welcome screen. If you press enter to go to the logon screen, it flickers and remains. I can't boot to safe mode, restore, or repair, it won't go anywhere but off and welcome.I have managed to trick it into automatic repair...
  3. Question on backups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question on backups: I am currently backing up data from my computer via Win7 Backup and Restore and I can see that my backup drive is beginning to get a little clogged up. Is there a way or a tool to compare two existing backup files and delete duplicate info to save space on the backup drive?...
  4. Windows backup and restore win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup and restore win7: Hi, I have to restore all files from a backup to a new drive but I then realized that it also restore renamed/deleted files and folders. I can see that it make sense for someone that accidentally deleted something and want it restored but that makes the tool barely useless...
  5. Backup question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup question: In Windows 10, under All Settings, Update and Security, there is Backup. I usually select Windows 7 Backup and Restore. What does this backup? Does anyone here know? Thank you. 155985
  6. A Quick Win7 question.

A Quick Win7 question.: Yeah, I know I probably should post this in Sevenforums but...…. lol, I've forgotten my password for it and never go there anymore, plus I know a lot of you still use it if only in a VM. So...… My brother in law is installing 7 on a new machine he's building for a friend....
  7. Win7 Backup Data Management

Win7 Backup Data Management: I continue to use the Win 7 User Data Backups even after I upgraded from Win7 to Win10. I do not use the File History Backups offered with Win 10. My question regards the datasets saved by the Win7 Backup procedure. I notice my backups include multiple dated Backup Sets...
  8. Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7)

Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7): I had to do a new reinstall of Windows 10 and received this error when trying to restore from my external backup drive. Originally the backup drive was G, but after the reinstall, it became H. I changed it back to G in Disk Management, and applied the SDUTIL with no errors...
  9. Built in Wireless question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Built in Wireless question: Hi I had to do a System recovery on my HP Desktop Computer with Windows 10 home 64 bit that came preloaded on it. and the HP technical support told me before doing this unplug everything but your Monitor keyboard and mouse so it did. And everything went great I came to a...
  10. Moving laptop drive to SSD - including backup and driver questions

Moving laptop drive to SSD - including backup and driver questions: Hello all, I have an Acer laptop, Aspire V5-571. It has a 750GB standard SATA hard disk drive and I have just purchased a new 960GB SSD to replace it with. I initially planned to clone the used data (320GB of the 750GB) to the new drive, but now I am thinking about...