Windows 10: Moving C drive to a new drive

Discus and support Moving C drive to a new drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KevinPheiffer, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Moving C drive to a new drive

Hello

My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs?

Thank you for the help.

I use windows 10 64bit.

:)

KevinPheiffer, Aug 14, 2019
  2. JanaDyck Win User

move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Aug 14, 2019
  3. edokie Win User
    How do I move folders with photos and videos from the C:\ drive to other drives?

Yes that worked great. I have reduced the load on my C:\ drive by more than 100GB. My photos (Pictures) that were under C:\Users\Username\Pictures have now been moved to P:\Users\Username\Pictures, and the video that were on the C:\ drive in the folder C:\Users\Username\Videos
    have been moved to S:\Users\Username\Videos. I have many pictures (photos) on my P:\ drive that are in folders such as P:\Grandkids. Is this incorrect? Is it necessary or more correct to send these photo of grandkids to P:\Users\Username\Pictures\Grandkids?
    What does Windows consider a "personal folder", and why does it store information under C:\Users? Why does Windows do this, and if it is preferable, what is the advantage? Is the "Pictures" folder the same as the "Pictures" Library? Now that I've moved the
    C:\Users\Username\Pictures folder to P:\Users\Username\Pictures will Windows put all future photos in the last listed folder? Thank you excellent help and instructions.

edokie, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Moving C drive to a new drive

How do I move folders with photos and videos from the C:\ drive to other drives?

Hi,

Normally, Windows stores personal folders in C:\Users. If you want to move them to a secondary drive, you can do so by trying the steps below:

• Make sure to close any apps you have running, as open apps can interfere with the move.
    • Open a File Explorer window and navigate to your username (C:\Users\username).
    • Right-click on the folder you want to move, and then click Properties.
    • Select Location tab; then, choose a new location by typing the new path or by clicking the
      Move button to browse for a new location.
    • Once done, click OK; then, Yes.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Moving C drive to a new drive

1. Moving C drive to a new drive - Similar Threads - Moving drive drive

2. Move C Drive to New PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move C Drive to New PC: Hi everyone,I'm trying to replace my motherboard and CPU from i9-9900Z390 to i5-13600Z790. I'm using M2 SSD as my C drive now and trying to move it to my new motherboard.What should i do now? Should I just simply move my SSD into new motherboard and run it? Or do I need to...
  3. Move C Drive to New PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move C Drive to New PC: Hi everyone,I'm trying to replace my motherboard and CPU from i9-9900Z390 to i5-13600Z790. I'm using M2 SSD as my C drive now and trying to move it to my new motherboard.What should i do now? Should I just simply move my SSD into new motherboard and run it? Or do I need to...
  4. moving C drive to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving C drive to a new computer: Hello all,My computer is acting up and I decided to build a new one.My plan is to simply install my C drive Windows 11 into the new build and hope everything goes OK.If it matters, my current motherboard is a ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Z390 chipset, and the new board will be an...
  5. moving C drive to a new computer

moving C drive to a new computer: Hello all,My computer is acting up and I decided to build a new one.My plan is to simply install my C drive Windows 11 into the new build and hope everything goes OK.If it matters, my current motherboard is a ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Z390 chipset, and the new board will be an...
  6. D drive Storage moved to C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D drive Storage moved to C drive: My G drive 195 GB is totally free. If I try to copy any files to the G drive it showing not enough space cause my c drive has only 25 Gb free. Anything I try to copy in Disk 0465 GB- D, E, G Volume takes spaces in the C drive. There is a video also.What can I do now?? Disk...
  7. D drive Storage moved to C drive

D drive Storage moved to C drive: My G drive 195 GB is totally free. If I try to copy any files to the G drive it showing not enough space cause my c drive has only 25 Gb free. Anything I try to copy in Disk 0465 GB- D, E, G Volume takes spaces in the C drive. There is a video also.What can I do now?? Disk...
  8. D drive Storage moved to C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Move C drive to new drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move C drive to new drive: Morning guys.So I have installed a new m.2 SSD into my motherboard. I have a SSD as my main boot drive and a HDD as my Data drive. Is there a way to move my C drive to my m.2 SSD and changing it to C drive without having to reinstall windows 10?...
  10. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...