Windows 10: Moving C drive to a new drive

Discus and support Moving C drive to a new drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KevinPheiffer, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:02 AM.

1. Moving C drive to a new drive

Hello

My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs?

Thank you for the help.

I use windows 10 64bit.

:)

KevinPheiffer, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:02 AM
  2. JanaDyck Win User

move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

3. edokie Win User
    How do I move folders with photos and videos from the C:\ drive to other drives?

Yes that worked great. I have reduced the load on my C:\ drive by more than 100GB. My photos (Pictures) that were under C:\Users\Username\Pictures have now been moved to P:\Users\Username\Pictures, and the video that were on the C:\ drive in the folder C:\Users\Username\Videos
    have been moved to S:\Users\Username\Videos. I have many pictures (photos) on my P:\ drive that are in folders such as P:\Grandkids. Is this incorrect? Is it necessary or more correct to send these photo of grandkids to P:\Users\Username\Pictures\Grandkids?
    What does Windows consider a "personal folder", and why does it store information under C:\Users? Why does Windows do this, and if it is preferable, what is the advantage? Is the "Pictures" folder the same as the "Pictures" Library? Now that I've moved the
    C:\Users\Username\Pictures folder to P:\Users\Username\Pictures will Windows put all future photos in the last listed folder? Thank you excellent help and instructions.

4. Moving C drive to a new drive

How do I move folders with photos and videos from the C:\ drive to other drives?

Hi,

Normally, Windows stores personal folders in C:\Users. If you want to move them to a secondary drive, you can do so by trying the steps below:

• Make sure to close any apps you have running, as open apps can interfere with the move.
    • Open a File Explorer window and navigate to your username (C:\Users\username).
    • Right-click on the folder you want to move, and then click Properties.
    • Select Location tab; then, choose a new location by typing the new path or by clicking the
      Move button to browse for a new location.
    • Once done, click OK; then, Yes.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:10 AM
Thema:

Moving C drive to a new drive

1. Moving C drive to a new drive - Similar Threads - Moving drive drive

2. moving OS from c: drive to solid state drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving OS from c: drive to solid state drive: Hi, really new here, but I have a cheap laptop which only has a 32 Gig C:drive. I purchased a 120 gig solid state drive and i'm now trying to figure out how to move everything to the d: drive where the SSD is located. Also, I cannot upgrade my windows as its saying i don't...
  3. Moving my VMwaare from my C drive to another drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Moving my VMwaare from my C drive to another drive: Hello again, i recently installed my insiders edition to the wrong drive, my C Drive, i wanted to install it to my DATA drive, if i copy all the VM files that in my C drive , to the actual drive that i want it in, how if at all would that affect my current insiders edition...
  4. Move free space from D drive to C Drive

Move free space from D drive to C Drive: Hi, I am receiving messages saying my storage is full. Disk manager shows no free space on C drive, but 913GB free on D drive, how can I reallocate free space from D to C? Thanks...
  5. C Drive is full, how to move unwanted data to D drive?

C Drive is full, how to move unwanted data to D drive?: Hi there, my c drive is almost full and this has slowed down my window explorer files when i try to go in document so i wanted to know what i can cut and copy/ transfer files or data to my d drive so my laptop can run faster? thanks...
  6. Make new C drive!

in Windows 10 Support
    Make new C drive!: Can I do a disk image of my C drive & add to my (F) drive & make it the boot drive? Much of the video, audio & other data is stored on external HdD’s F, D & K. Very little is stored in (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Video) on the C drive. I want to eliminate...
  7. Make new C drive!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Make new C drive!: Can I do a disk image of my C drive & add to my (F) drive & make it the boot drive? Much of the video, audio & other data is stored on external HdD’s F, D & K. Very little is stored in (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Video) on the C drive. I want to eliminate...
  8. Moving to a New Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  9. INSTALL NEW c: DRIVE

INSTALL NEW c: DRIVE: 1. Installed new C: hard drive. 2. How do I install Windows 10 on it? 3. The BIOS seems messed up. Windows 10 tries to install, but ends up saying "We couldn't find the selected partition."...
  10. Moving Win10 C Drive to the 'left'

Moving Win10 C Drive to the 'left': I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive from an ISO but left a partition in front of the C Drive with 137 GB on it, plus another unallocated space at the very front of the drive with 500 MB. It's a long story about how this came to pass but the fact is that it did. The...