Windows 10: Moving Data to New Drive

Discus and support Moving Data to New Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hikertrash, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Moving Data to New Drive

I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I believe it may be the HDD)

Not wanting to take the chance of losing a bunch of data, I want to move it to another HDD that I have. Will copying the data from one drive to the other using Karen's Replicator and then swapping out the drive and renaming it D be all I need to do?

Or should I use Macrium Reflect?

:)

Hikertrash, Nov 26, 2019

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Moving Data to New Drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Nov 26, 2019
  3. Joacchim Win User
    Move data drive from old computer into new

Thanks, but I'm not moving data from one drive to another, I want to move an entire (data, no programs) drive to a new computer with its own SSD OS/program drive. Thanks anyway.

Joacchim, Nov 26, 2019
  4. beyonddc Win User

Moving Data to New Drive

Upgrading home PC, how to move VirtualBox VMs in a data drive to the new PC

I am upgrading my home PC. On my current PC, all my VirtualBox VMs reside on a data drive separate from the primary OS drive. The current PC uses Windows 10 and the new PC will also be using Windows 10.

I have about 30 VirtualBox VMs on that data drive. My question is if I can do the transition using the method listed below.

• Move data drive to the new PC
    • Assign the data drive with the same drive name (e.g. DMoving Data to New Drive :)
    • Install the same version of VirtualBox I have right now onto the new computer
    • Move my .VirtualBox directory from C:\Users\foo\.VirtualBox to my new PC

beyonddc, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Moving Data to New Drive

1. Moving Data to New Drive - Similar Threads - Moving Data Drive

2. Move app data to default drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move app data to default drive.: Hello, I recently got an ssd installed which is great and improved the overall performance of my device. The issue being, my user profile, settings, browser bookmarks, etc, have all been replaced. The new ssd has become the default drive and I can't access my previous...
  3. Move app data to default drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move app data to default drive.: Hello, I recently got an ssd installed which is great and improved the overall performance of my device. The issue being, my user profile, settings, browser bookmarks, etc, have all been replaced. The new ssd has become the default drive and I can't access my previous...
  4. Move app data to default drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move data to external hard drive.

Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  6. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  7. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Move C drive to new drive

Move C drive to new drive: Morning guys.So I have installed a new m.2 SSD into my motherboard. I have a SSD as my main boot drive and a HDD as my Data drive. Is there a way to move my C drive to my m.2 SSD and changing it to C drive without having to reinstall windows 10?...
  9. Moving C drive to a new drive

Moving C drive to a new drive: Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs? Thank you for the help. I use windows 10 64bit....
  10. Move data drive from old computer into new

Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...