Windows 10: Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

Discus and support Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day / night, I noticed that my computer takes forever to do any kind of operation on files and directories (except editing content which is done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by exect3r, Aug 12, 2019.

1. exect3r Win User

Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

Good day / night,

I noticed that my computer takes forever to do any kind of operation on files and directories (except editing content which is done in a separate process). I believe the problem to be the windows explorer simply because I tried moving and deleting files and directories using 'cmd' and it's instantaneous.
    However, when I'm using the normal drag and drop for moving, copying, deleting or even saving files from the internet, it gets stuck at 0% and keeps calculating remaining time. The files aren't even that large (few kilobytes) and there are only 2 of them.

:)

exect3r, Aug 12, 2019
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

Lots of Should-Be Non-existant Files

thanks. i scrolled through the first 500ish and moved most to a remote directory. if that goes well for a while, i'll delete that directory and move on to the next 500ish in the list.

theres no point in leaving those empty files right? the ones that contained data i actually looked through, but the rest i just selected them all and moved (soon to be deleted).

swimdude0614, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

1. Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever. - Similar Threads - Moving deleting creating

2. Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.: Deleting even a single file from my downloads folder is taking forever. It takes about 1-3 mins to delete a file.If I choose multiple files 4 or more to be deleted, the file explorer stops responding...
  3. Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.: Deleting even a single file from my downloads folder is taking forever. It takes about 1-3 mins to delete a file.If I choose multiple files 4 or more to be deleted, the file explorer stops responding...
  4. Moving files on the same drive takes forever.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files on the same drive takes forever.: ProblemWhen moving files from one directory to a different directory on the same drive, I have to wait about 5 minutes while the computer is calculating time/space requirements before the request goes through. It seems to be only on one part of the directory tree this...
  5. Moving files on the same drive takes forever.

Moving files on the same drive takes forever.: ProblemWhen moving files from one directory to a different directory on the same drive, I have to wait about 5 minutes while the computer is calculating time/space requirements before the request goes through. It seems to be only on one part of the directory tree this...
  6. Moving files on the same drive takes forever.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. creating a shared folder takes forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    creating a shared folder takes forever: HiI am trying to create a shared network folder on one of our office PCs, but the process is taking forever. It is not complete yet and has taken 1 hour so far.How i did itcreate a new folderright click and go to properties and under sharing tab click shareThe i just click...
  8. creating a shared folder takes forever

creating a shared folder takes forever: HiI am trying to create a shared network folder on one of our office PCs, but the process is taking forever. It is not complete yet and has taken 1 hour so far.How i did itcreate a new folderright click and go to properties and under sharing tab click shareThe i just click...
  9. creating a shared folder takes forever

10. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...