Windows 10: Moving desktop files to onedrive

Discus and support Moving desktop files to onedrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I moved an entire file folder from desktop to OneDrive, and now I can't find it. Where is it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DawnAnderson5, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Moving desktop files to onedrive

I moved an entire file folder from desktop to OneDrive, and now I can't find it. Where is it?

:)

DawnAnderson5, Jul 2, 2020

2. Onedrive Desktop Problems

I believe this is the AutoProtection feature in OneDrive that is not very well explained by Microsoft. Instead of keeping a local copy of your files, it moves all of the local folders to the OneDrive folder, and creates symlinks (that don't always work) in place of local content.

To disable, go to OneDrive settings - Auto-save - choose folders to unprotect.

You will then have to manually move the files/folders from OneDrive to the actual local place (so OneDrive/Desktop will need to be moved to %userfolder%/Desktop to restore local access)

Also see this this

user1018551, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Onedrive moving files.

Onedrive has moved my documents, desktop and pictures from my PC to Onedrive. I prefer not doing this. Is there a way to change the option where I can use Onedrive as a back-up only and keep my files on my PC?

MikeReardon_Texas, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Moving desktop files to onedrive

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Moving desktop files to onedrive

1. Moving desktop files to onedrive - Similar Threads - Moving desktop files

2. OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????: Why on earth does OneDrive on factory default windows move the desktop from c:\users into a OneDrive folder? If you are going to force the default OneDrive setup to make users do a desktop backup, surely MOVING their desktop directory is the most braindead possible way of...
  3. OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????: Why on earth does OneDrive on factory default windows move the desktop from c:\users into a OneDrive folder? If you are going to force the default OneDrive setup to make users do a desktop backup, surely MOVING their desktop directory is the most braindead possible way of...
  4. after move desktop files to onedrive, the file name all became "desktop"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    after move desktop files to onedrive, the file name all became "desktop": Hello!!one of my user's PC had blue screen of death, so then he had to enter the windows by safe mode, then moved the desktop files to onedrive.after he did that, all of the files became one file name"desktop". anyone know how to fix it?thank you!!...
  5. after move desktop files to onedrive, the file name all became "desktop"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after move desktop files to onedrive, the file name all became "desktop": Hello!!one of my user's PC had blue screen of death, so then he had to enter the windows by safe mode, then moved the desktop files to onedrive.after he did that, all of the files became one file name"desktop". anyone know how to fix it?thank you!!...
  6. after move desktop files to onedrive, the file name all became "desktop"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Document files moved to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Document files moved to OneDrive: My first post here: Windows 10 build 19042 Ver 20H2 I don't know happened. Yesterday, I used Calibre that requires access to files in a folder in my Documents folder. But it wasn't there. All files and folders were gone and apparently moved to onedrive. I was able to move...
  8. Moving OneDrive Files

Moving OneDrive Files: I have several games that continually backup themselves on to my OneDrive despite my attempts to move and delete them. I don't want them on my OneDrive because they take up so much space, how do I keep them from saving themselves onto my OneDrive?...
  9. Desktop files not moving

Desktop files not moving: Hello.This has been a long problem that hasnt concerned me,but now i am very concerned as i need to move some files.I tried all the tutorials on youtube possible.Nothing works.I am afraid that there is a virus.Please help....
  10. Onedrive moving files.

Onedrive moving files.: Onedrive has moved my documents, desktop and pictures from my PC to Onedrive. I prefer not doing this. Is there a way to change the option where I can use Onedrive as a back-up only and keep my files on my PC?...