Windows 10: Moving desktop folder to another drive

Discus and support Moving desktop folder to another drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Shazbah59, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Shazbah59 Win User

Moving desktop folder to another drive

Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the previous setup. These folders contain all my info from before so I don't know what to do. I can't have two desktops I need to merge both to one.? Is this possible?

:)

Shazbah59, Aug 19, 2022

2. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Windows and am setting up my new machine, I followed these directions to move my desktop folder to a different drive(by Aileen Alf almost to the bottom): Redirecting

A new folder was not created on the E:\ drive, it just put the only thing on the desktop on the new drive which is an alias for Microsoft Edge. I have tried to restore Default in Properties, Location but I get an error saying "The folder can't be moved here
    Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "E:\System Volume Information".

In File Explorer next to the Desktop icon it shows E:\ rather than saying Desktop so it really did move the folder there but its going into the main part of the drive without a folder named Desktop.

I read several other ways to move the folder and they say to create the folders on the new drive first but I followed this procedure as it was given by a Microsoft Agent in this community.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,

G.A.

G.A.Crunch, Aug 19, 2022
  3. scopio Win User
    Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Moving desktop folder to another drive [​IMG]

scopio, Aug 19, 2022
  4. wolfmagic Win User

Desktop folders Move function

Clicking in the title bar of any folder on the desktop shows a list of functions - Restore, Move, Size, Minimize etc. When I right click on the title bar and select Move, the Move icon appears but it's not clear what to then do with it to actually make
    the folder move. Movint the icon to another part of the desktop doesn't do anything. What else is required to move the folder using the Move function?

wolfmagic, Aug 19, 2022
Thema:

1. Moving desktop folder to another drive - Similar Threads - Moving desktop folder

2. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  3. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  4. Moving user profile folders to another drive

Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  5. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  6. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  7. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble: Good morning everyone. I mess up and i change the desktop and the download files from C to D and it doesn't show me the downloads file. I choose only the D driver and didn't make a desktop file. Its exactly the same problem from here...
  8. Move appdata folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move appdata folder to another drive: I was wondering if it was possible to move the appdata folder to a drive different from c, since I have a small ssd and I want to free up some space. I've red that changing its path could break some programs so I wanted to know what do you think about it and if you know other...
  9. Moved Desktop to Another Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved Desktop to Another Drive: I was trying to free up space on my 250GB 'C' drive and stupidly moved my Desktop folder from C-->User-->(my computer name) to my F drive (a second internal hard drive) by clicking on Properties and using the 'Location' option. But I started encountering problems - no...
  10. Moving Public Folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Public Folder to another drive: I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space. The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files...