Windows 10: Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

Discus and support Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lowdoo, Dec 27, 2020.

1. lowdoo Win User

Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on previous computers. After struggling with it for a while, I eventually managed to move the folders to the D: drive, but still linked to OneDrive i.e. under D:/Users/Username/OneDrive. However, because I haven't paid for additional OneDrive space this meant I had loads of red crosses and error messages due to insufficient space.

I've now unlinked my OneDrive account, but this means that if I navigate to the folders through the file structure, I get asked to 'Set up OneDrive' each time which is getting annoying. Therefore, I'd like to move these folders again to somewhere like D:/Documents etc. However, when I try to do this through right clicking on the folder, selecting Properties>Location>Move', I get this error message:

Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives 07aa34f9-efec-44a1-b5af-8f2d87b9bc5d?upload=true.png

Any help please?

:)

lowdoo, Dec 27, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. LHiggins Win User
    Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive

Hello,

I have a new Windows 10 Pro laptop with a SSD for the OS and a 1 TB hard drive for storage. I have been trying to follow the tutorial How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 to move the documents, music, and pictures folders to the 1TB drive, without much success.

I have followed the steps several times, and one of two things happens. Either the file "is" copied - a file is created at the new location, but the same file also exists in the original location, and the start menu icons still link to the original folder. And/or the file is copied to the 1TB drive, and it links properly, but when I save something in that file, it also is saved in the original file. For some reason, it seems that the file was copied, not moved, and I think the result is going to be duplication of saved files.

I had thought that restarting the laptop after I made these changes would set things right, but so far, that has not happened.

I just used the Video folder as my test since I don't anticipate saving many videos, so each time, I chose to revert to the default location before starting over. Each time it said that the original folder did not exist, but it would create a new one - which it seemed it did back into the original location, and the linking is intact.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I know that there should be a way to move these folders so that they retain the link from the start menu icons to the D drive locations. Is the missing step the need to also tell the laptop where the default save location is as is described in this tutorial Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10 ? I know it is about apps, but further down it does also discuss documents etc. I did not do this - should I have?

Thanks for any help. This has been a bit frustrating, as it makes perfect sense int he tutorial, and I just can't quite figure out why it won't work.

LH

LHiggins, Dec 27, 2020
  4. OB_Bodda Win User

Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

Hello,

I recently installed a new harddrive and wanted to move the "Pictures", "Documents" etc. folders to that drive. I tried just going into the "Pictures" folders properties and selected my new drive without a folder so I moved it from "C:\users\account" to just
    the new drive "E:". This in turn seemed to just create a shortcut to all the folders on that drive when really what I was after was moving the entire "Pictures" folder to that new drive like you would any other folder. Is there an actual way to this and if
    I try to move the "Pictures" folder now will it move all my files on that drive?

I'm just concerned that all the files on my new drive is now associated with that folder and that moving it would case all the files on the new harddrive to also move in turn.

Thanks for any help given!

OB_Bodda, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives - Similar Threads - Moving Documents Pictures

2. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive: HiThere are a number of earlier questions & answers on moving the above folders successfully out of C Drive.Will these procedures still work in 2023 with OneDrive set up as normal or will it stuff up My Computer\ documents\ pictures etc?...
  3. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive: HiThere are a number of earlier questions & answers on moving the above folders successfully out of C Drive.Will these procedures still work in 2023 with OneDrive set up as normal or will it stuff up My Computer\ documents\ pictures etc?...
  4. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  6. Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.: I've been trying to move the location of these kinds of folders, but simply can't, windows tells me that there's a folder that can't be moved. I looked all over the internet for solutions, and everywhere they say to change de registry, which I did, but it didn't work. My C:/...
  7. Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive: Hello, I recently installed a new harddrive and wanted to move the "Pictures", "Documents" etc. folders to that drive. I tried just going into the "Pictures" folders properties and selected my new drive without a folder so I moved it from "C:\users\account" to just the new...
  8. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition: I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents. Does it make...
  9. Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders: Hello! I just reassigned my default Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc. folders to folders on my secondary drive to save space on my performance drive. All the little emblems updated for each folder, except for the Pictures and Documents folders, and my OCD isn't liking it....
  10. Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive: Hello, I have a new Windows 10 Pro laptop with a SSD for the OS and a 1 TB hard drive for storage. I have been trying to follow the tutorial How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 to move the documents, music, and pictures folders to the 1TB drive, without...