Windows 10: Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

Discus and support Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by starchase, Dec 19, 2019.

1. starchase Win User

Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents.

Does it make sense to move the Documents folder to the newly empty D drive and if so does one just drag and drop the folder to accomplish this of would copying mess up the Library linkage or other linkages?

[ the machine: HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 Model: 13-4001dx 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i55200U @ 2.20GHz - 4GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive AXNS381E-128GM-B (SATA (SSD)
    Windows 10 Home, 1909, 18363.535 ]

Thanks, John

:)

starchase, Dec 19, 2019

2. Is is possible to move the Documents and Settings to a seperate HDD

tweakui can move the separate "special" folders, but I don't think you can move the Documents and Settings folder itself with it. Everything inside the folder can be moved to a different place, partition, or hard drive if you wish though.

FatForester, Dec 19, 2019
  3. MOSO_1010 Win User
    Move Windows 10 Personal Folders to a separate partition on same hard drive

How do I move Personal Folders in Windows 10 to a separate partition on the same hard drive? Will future program installations automatically use this new location to store personal files such as documents, downloads, pictures, ...etc.? And will Windows
    10 work well with multiple partitions?

MOSO_1010, Dec 19, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition - Similar Threads - Moving Documents Pictures

2. Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition: I want to save space for my daily image backups by moving these files to a separate partition on my boot SSD.hiberfil.sys 12.70 GBpagefile.sys 4.75 GBswapfile.sys 16 MBAre there any issue doing this?I have 3ea Samsung 980 Pro 2tb nmve pcie 4 ssd's. 1 of these ssd's is my boot...
  3. Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition: I want to save space for my daily image backups by moving these files to a separate partition on my boot SSD.hiberfil.syspagefile.sysswapfile.sysAre there any issue doing this?I have 3ea Samsung 980 Pro 2tb nmve pcie 4 ssd's. 1 of these ssd's is my boot drive. I have separate...
  4. Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to a separate partition: I want to save space for my daily image backups by moving these files to a separate partition on my boot SSD.hiberfil.syspagefile.sysswapfile.sysAre there any issue doing this?I have 3ea Samsung 980 Pro 2tb nmve pcie 4 ssd's. 1 of these ssd's is my boot drive. I have separate...
  5. Convert Picture Subfolders into Separate Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert Picture Subfolders into Separate Folders: I have a picture file on my desktop that contains 3 subfolders and I want to convert each subfolder Into a separate standalone folder, essentially doing away with their subfolder status. The parent folder is A and it has subfolders A, B and C within it. Note that A is both...
  6. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  7. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives: I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on...
  8. documents and picture folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    documents and picture folders: Large Double Blue arrows are showing up on my documents and picture folders and I want them gone. I cant even hardly see whats under the arrows. Anyone know how to do that?...
  9. Move recovery drive to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery drive to a separate partition: Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using...
  10. Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows installation to a separate partition: How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave it where it is, but move the rest to a separate one? Right now everything is on C:\ and I want the installation part to maybe...