Windows 10: Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

Discus and support Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Meli Chtena, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able to just copy everything over to the new SSD with the OS on it and pretty much start off from where I left with all my settings and files. However I'm having a hard time figuring out how or if I can even do this. My current OS is Windows 10 home version 21H2 build 19044.1288. I have an intermediate amount of technical experi

:)

Meli Chtena, Jul 11, 2022

2. how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

hi

i gust got a new SSD

and i want to move my OS and only my OS over to it

so that i can boot from it.

if any one can give me a step by step guide to it that would be grate

some PC info

i have windows 10 64bit

the SSD is 120GB

mrhexeberg, Jul 11, 2022
  3. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

To do so, follow the steps below:

Step 1.
    Clone OS to SSD

Step 2. Enter into BIOS and set the SSD as the first boot disk.

Step 3. Change the old drive to D:\ (you'd better do a disk backup of the old drive in adavance).

Hope my answer will give you a hand.

Paper Plane-4567, Jul 11, 2022
  4. Chin9 Win User

Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

Moving OS C drive to another SSD?

I currently have a 120GB SSD on my laptop as my OS C drive. I'm considering to install a new, larger SSD, but my Windows installation will be gone with the old SSD. So is there any way to move my Windows to a new drive?

Chin9, Jul 11, 2022
Thema:

Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

1. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS - Similar Threads - Moving files setting

2. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  3. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  4. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS: I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able...
  5. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS: I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able...
  6. Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected: According to the following post, I should be able to use the media creation tool and skip activation and get a newly activated license on a different drive:...
  7. Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme: Got a Samsung Evo 970 and I want to move the files and programs from my Samsung 860 to that as that’ll be where I want the OS to be on now. How do I go about this? Is there no way and I would just need to reinstall everything on the new OS and move documents and stuff using...
  8. Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD: Quick question, I'm on Win 10 home, build 2004. I've got an M.2 SATA III SSD that I'm getting rid of and upgrading to an M.2 NVMe SSD. Fortunately I have two M.2 slots on the motherboard, so I can use a migration tool. But I will be removing the old one and swapping the new...
  9. Moving OS to new SSD

Moving OS to new SSD: I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new SSD ONLY. I want to keep my pictures, videos and games in my HDD not move it anywhere. Is this possible? If so please tell me...
  10. Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive: Hi A few years ago I built a gaming computer with a 128GB SSD boot drive and I would now like to replace this with a larger drive. Is there a simple way to move the OS (64 bit) from the old boot drive to the new one or am I going to have to buy a new key?...