Windows 10: Moving files/folders to different drive issue

Discus and support Moving files/folders to different drive issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I regulary have reason to copy files and folders from one HDD to another, and have a strong preference for them being moved, not copied. Since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smilejack1, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Moving files/folders to different drive issue

I regulary have reason to copy files and folders from one HDD to another, and have a strong preference for them being moved, not copied. Since reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, however, I am unable to do so. I am presently running 10 Home 10.0.18363.

I have attempted to achieve this by utilizing the relevant .reg files from tenforums, and then from a few other sites. I have tried removing the relevant registry Dword entries, and then recreating them from scratch. I have tried removing Teracopy as the default copy handler. I have tried using the CTRL+drag function. I have even tried cussing at it. Nothing has worked.

This is a huge annoyance to me, and help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:)

smilejack1, Feb 10, 2021

2. File cannot be opened after moving it to a different folder

I download the email attachments standard to the My Documents folder. Then I move it to a local folder. Files that are already in that folder do not have the problem. It really only happens with files that I received AFTER moving them to another local folder.

BUT: after moving the file back to the original location (My Documents), the file opens normally.

No troubleshooting done as I don't know what troubleshooting options are available for this.

If the file would be corrupted on its way to my computer why can it be opened in the my documents folder? Or if the folder where I moved the file received to would be corrupted, why is there only a problem with the file just moved to that folder?

Thanks and regards,

Danker

dschaareman, Feb 10, 2021
  3. scopio Win User
    Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Moving files/folders to different drive issue [​IMG]

scopio, Feb 10, 2021
  4. Moving files/folders to different drive issue

When I move My Files To New Internal Drive, Folder Icons That I've Set Disappear

Hi,

The reason why the icon wont copy because its a different file location and will automatically set to default ones the folder/files went out the drive. We tried to re create the issue and we found this:

• Moving/copying a modified icon folder from a drive to another set the folder icon back to default.
    • Moving/copying modified icon folder from a drive to any sub folder with in the drive will not set the icon to default.
    Regards.

Angelo Bar, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

Moving files/folders to different drive issue

1. Moving files/folders to different drive issue - Similar Threads - Moving files folders

2. Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive: Hi! Is there a way for the copied file link to not break in the excel spread sheet, after moving the original file the one we copied to a different owner's folder? Thank you!...
  3. Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive: Hi! Is there a way for the copied file link to not break in the excel spread sheet, after moving the original file the one we copied to a different owner's folder? Thank you!...
  4. Moving a file to a different owner in One Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Moved video folder to a different drive problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved video folder to a different drive problems: Moved the video folder to a different drive Windows 10 20H2 I moved music folder, documents folder, downloads as the tutorial on here and it worked as expected I then moved the videos folder in the same way that worked but when I reboot I get a folder in the frequent...
  6. move msfs2020 to a different drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    move msfs2020 to a different drive: I get this error 0x80073d0b when trying to move msfs2020 to a different drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-msfs2020-to-a-different-drive/e45679e9-5ae0-4b40-9ca6-810e0f47dedb
  7. moving files to different folders in photos

moving files to different folders in photos: When organizing photo files, windows denies ability to move or rename, says file is not available, does not exist. the file is still there, but does not display. I have to reboot. The computer stalls on reboot and close. I have to hold the start button down & computer closes....
  8. moving MSFS20 to a different drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    moving MSFS20 to a different drive?: I bought MSFS on steam and chose my f: drive (HD) - OS Win10 for the installation everything works fine, but now I would like to move it to my e: drive (SSD) the only info I found was this: "from Windows settings from the start menu, go to apps. Find the app you want to...
  9. Moving images to a different folder

Moving images to a different folder: Please advise how to move several images (Pictures) from an existing folder, in which they have been inadvertently placed, to the correct existing folder. Many thanks RayTJ...
  10. Issues Moving Files From/To Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues Moving Files From/To Folders: The issue is when trying to move a file or group of files from one folder to another, like dragging and dropping files, one of the files will open in its respective application, leading to failure of moving files. At first I suspected the files were set to open with one...