Windows 10: Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd)

Discus and support Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So i have an ssd with 447gb and a hdd with 595gb as shown below:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TM-uwu, Oct 11, 2020.

1. /u/TM-uwu Win User

Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd)

Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd) 54tzUVi_McM0hEwUg8vWa1UYKO1EUjRDd1nUxm44mWA.jpg

So i have an ssd with 447gb and a hdd with 595gb as shown below:

https://preview.redd.it/z58f5igsmgs...bp&s=d648dbd5c143f4dd5909c761054dadddde1397e7

I want to move some files into hdd to have more space. But I've heard that it could lose your program files x86 and program files data because the files are written to the os so if you move it it corrupts or something like that. I would like to move as much as i can (including games, not steam games btw, and media) If you want to know which games i have:

- Epic games (3 games installed)

- COD Warzone (Blizzard Launcher)

- Minecraft (but i can just reinstall that)

- Valorant

Is there a way to move them without losing data?

submitted by /u/TM-uwu
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TM-uwu, Oct 11, 2020

2. How can I move C: or other drives to a new SSD or HDD in Windows 10?

Hi,

I've a Windows 10 setup with the OS installed on C: (ssd) and program files are seperated among D: (SSD) and E: (HDD). My idea is that, Windows 10 runs on C, which is a good brand SSD; demanding games and programs run on D, and the rest are on E.

Photos, documents etc are on F with Dropbox; I also run OneDrive for C, and G is for system backup.

So here is the summary:

C (SSD) - OS

D (SSD) - Games and programs

E (HDD) - Rest of the programs

F (HDD) - Dropbox (photos, documents etc)

G (HDD) - Windows backups, recovery etc.

So, here is my question:

If in the future, I renew one of these drives, what should I do to avoid a fresh install?

I searched the web but I could not get a clear picture:

- Can I renew my drive C: without using a 3rd party and without having a fresh install? I mean, kind of cloning?

- Can I renew or clone other drives? Will Windows be able to recognize them? I mean, let's say, if (and how) I clone drive F:, will I have to download everything from Dropbox? If I renew D:, will I need to install all those games again?

Thanks you^^

hnnvansier, Oct 11, 2020
  3. tedathy Win User
    indexing and search on desktop with SSD and HDD installed

I have Dell Optiplex 3020 with two drives installed.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/nS2RBNB0HB56945X, rev EMT02B6Q, SMART Status:
    Healthy

SSD as drive C: with the windows system and working files.

The HDD is drive E WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCC3F0CTLJN9, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status:
    Healthy

and I backup files on to this HDD.

The properties of C: under general tab is set to "allow files to have contents indexed

The properties of E: under general tab is not set to "allow files to have contents indexed

When I use Cortana to search the backed up version of my file on HDD drive E are returned and not the working version on SSD drive C

How do I prevent the search returning filenames from HDD drive E?

I only want to search the working files on SSD drive C:

Help and suggestions please

tedathy, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Rahul247 Win User

What to move from C drive to D drive

Hi,

I have a laptop with a 118GB SSD C drive and a 920GB HDD D drive. I have only a few megabytes of space left on my C drive so I need to start moving things from my C drive to my D drive to free up space. However, I have no idea what I can move to the D drive.
    I already store all of my documents on my D drive so I can't move those. Should I move the program files? Would that slow down my apps on startup?

Many thanks for your help.

Rahul247, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd) - Similar Threads - Moving files drive

2. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  3. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  4. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. move one subfolder from C drivessd to E drive HDD in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    move one subfolder from C drivessd to E drive HDD in windows 11: All free software i download end up in my asus laptop in my C drive in the users folder within the Asus subfolder..i want to move this Asus subfolder to recently added HDDE drive.How to do that.dont see any location option....
  6. move one subfolder from C drivessd to E drive HDD in windows 11

move one subfolder from C drivessd to E drive HDD in windows 11: All free software i download end up in my asus laptop in my C drive in the users folder within the Asus subfolder..i want to move this Asus subfolder to recently added HDDE drive.How to do that.dont see any location option....
  7. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  8. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  9. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  10. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...