Windows 10: Moving files from external drive to card files lost

Discus and support Moving files from external drive to card files lost in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was moving two folders from my external drive to a card for permanent storage. The first folder transferred properly; the second only shows one file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DarylDaniels, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Moving files from external drive to card files lost

I was moving two folders from my external drive to a card for permanent storage. The first folder transferred properly; the second only shows one file out of 35 or 40 was successfully moved. The remainder have vanished; they are not on the card and the external drive isn't able to restore anything. I am using Windows 10--all prior responses on this forum to similar problems were for earlier versions of Windows and inapplicable to Windows 10.

:)

DarylDaniels, Apr 15, 2021
  2. RolandJS Win User

Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

After getting all back in working order, may I offer a safer-way suggestion? Instead of moving folders/files; copy them from source to target one group at a time, or one huge file at a time. If no error, do the next copy on your list. Test one or more AVI or MP4 files to ensure the probability that all is well. Then, delete the now-duplicated folders/files from the source hard-drive. I too have been "burned" now and then by a Move operation that went sour somewhere; the Biggies got copied now, "smallies" can be moved.

RolandJS, Apr 15, 2021
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Also for moving large files/folders, I like to use a file syncing program like FreeFileSync, even if I am just got to move the files once and not keep them synced.

NavyLCDR, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Moving files from external drive to card files lost

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Moving files from external drive to card files lost

1. Moving files from external drive to card files lost - Similar Threads - Moving files external

2. Cannot move One Drive files to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move One Drive files to external drive: Why is this so complex? Because Microsoft likes to piss consumers? I am pissed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-one-drive-files-to-external-drive/13852425-89a1-4b2d-9bc7-f8c71b77e743
  3. Cannot move One Drive files to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot move One Drive files to external drive: Why is this so complex? Because Microsoft likes to piss consumers? I am pissed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-one-drive-files-to-external-drive/13852425-89a1-4b2d-9bc7-f8c71b77e743
  4. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  5. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  6. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...
  7. Move files to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  8. Moving files from laptop to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files from laptop to external drive: I'm trying to free up space on my computer and am not sure how to safely move files from my laptop to my external drive. And then what do do to free up the space I need...
  9. moving files from windows 10 to external storage drive

moving files from windows 10 to external storage drive: Im trying to move some files onto an external storage drive from my windows 10 laptop but the device will not show up with my files at all. It shows up in my settings proving it is there and working with my laptop but I don't know how else to move things onto it from my...
  10. Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all: Dear Sir/Madame, I was moving video files (AVI) from an external backup drive (WD Element) to another external backup drive (Seagate expansion) after having moved another video file from my laptop (Acer) to that Seagate external drive. The night before I had moved some video...