Windows 10: Moving files from laptop to external drive

Discus and support Moving files from laptop to external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to free up space on my computer and am not sure how to safely move files from my laptop to my external drive. And then what do do to free up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WalterKG, Nov 17, 2018.

1. WalterKG Win User

Moving files from laptop to external drive

I'm trying to free up space on my computer and am not sure how to safely move files from my laptop to my external drive. And then what do do to free up the space I need

:)

WalterKG, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 17, 2018
  3. JanaDyck Win User
    move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Nov 17, 2018
  4. CraigLong Win User

Moving files to an external drive

You can't just move the program files to another drive because for one they need the registry to operate and you will break the connection.

How to Move Program Files to a Secondary Hard Drive - dummies

The way to move a program file is to uninstall it and then reinstall it on the secondary hard drive. An external drive may not be the best place to install a program.

CraigLong, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving files from laptop to external drive - Similar Threads - Moving files laptop

2. Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive: So I had to send in my previous laptop for repair and backed up my critical files and programs prior to sending it off. Glad I did so, since the folks doing the repairs, totally borked it. I got my warranty refund and purchased a new laptop. Problems have arisen though, in...
  3. moving files from OneDrive to laptop hard drive and stopping sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving files from OneDrive to laptop hard drive and stopping sync: I used OneDrive to move files and settings from my old laptop to my new laptop both running Windows 10. However, the files themselves do not appear to be on my new laptop, but are stored in OneDrive. I want to complete the move i.e., have document and photo files stored on...
  4. Move files to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  5. Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop

Move programs and date from old disc external drive to new laptop: please can I have some advice. My old windows 10 pc died but I still have the old hard drive with the programs and data which I have placed in an external hard drive enclosure. I now have a new windows 10 laptop and would like to transfer over some for the programs and...
  6. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive: I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good. Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I...
  7. restore files from external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore files from external drive: how to restore my files and programs after resetting windows 10? I backed up everything on an external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-from-external-drive/10bb8695-d55c-41d5-9b2e-e0655b212d2a"
  8. moving files from windows 10 to external storage drive

moving files from windows 10 to external storage drive: Im trying to move some files onto an external storage drive from my windows 10 laptop but the device will not show up with my files at all. It shows up in my settings proving it is there and working with my laptop but I don't know how else to move things onto it from my...
  9. Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC

Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC: I have an external hard drive where I moved all of my mac photos to. I now have a PC with windows 10, but I can't find a way to save the photos onto my computer. The hard drive is recognized in disk management, but does not appear under devices. I would like to format it to...
  10. Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all: Dear Sir/Madame, I was moving video files (AVI) from an external backup drive (WD Element) to another external backup drive (Seagate expansion) after having moved another video file from my laptop (Acer) to that Seagate external drive. The night before I had moved some video...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. formatted external drive not accepted by file history

2. when files are moved from a laptop hard drive to an external hard drive are files just moved from the laptop to the external hard drive

3. best program to use to move audio and video files to an external hard drive